No rating

Our Lady Of Perpetual Help School

Private | PK-8 | 187 students

Living in Pelham Manor

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $807,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,660.

Posted May 25, 2014

Two years ago the school my children were is was going to close soe we had to choose another school. We looked at several in our area but were impressed with OLPH because of the academic program, its cleanliness, it was friendly place to be and it was a school with a diverse student body. We wanted this for our children because it reflects the world we live in. Even though we registered in January for September I was not 100% sure. That June I went to the grade 8 graduation and that sealed the deal. The honors and awards that this class received was outstanding-especially for a small school. The ceremony was personal and yet dignified. I knew then we had made the right decision and I have not regretted it. Yes there are times we struggle with school issues but that is life. The important thing is everyone who is there; faculty, principal, parents, students all WANT to be there. Tat makes a great difference. Our oldest child will be moving on in another year and I now that she will do well because of her experience at OLPH. Our first school closing was a blessing in disguise.

Posted May 17, 2014

When we were looking fo a school for our son 'warm and fuzzy' was not on the list of requirements. we wanted a strong academic program in a structured safe place. We found this and more at OLPH. Our son is now in high school doing great. He had a great foundation and hands on tech experience at OLPH. I volunteering as much as I could and felt appfreciated. Schools like this need money to operate. You can see that the money raised is put right into the school to adncae programs. I guess you cant please everyone but if I had to do it all over again I would in a heart beat. While other schools have closed OLPH is strong. My son got his warm fuzzies from his home and he is doing just fine.

Posted April 22, 2014

My children have attended O.L.P.H. from the early lower grades. Like any other school - each teacher has her own strengths and weaknesses. When I have a problem, I immediately head into school to speak to the teacher involved. I do this without making an appointment. They are always available and willing to help me and my children. There are various activities available. There is a band program used by many Catholic schools in the area, basketball for both boys and girls and volleyball for girls (Gr. 5 and up),and a spring chess club. I help as much as I can. A very involved and giving group of parents run book fairs, a Halloween party, Thanksgiving luncheon, breakfast with Santa, class holiday parties etc. Yes, there are fees. Yes, parents must pay for early morning drop off and after school care. This is not unique to this school. With all the schools closing, O.L.P.H. remains open and I am grateful. My kids love it here. They have friends, they work hard, they are busy and engaged. The teachers have high expectations in terms of both work and behavior. It was a good choice for my children. You get what you put into it...Often the complainers are nowhere to be seen!

Posted March 7, 2014

Teacher Quality- Teachers are hit or miss ranging from very good in the lower grades, then it takes a serious nose dive after the second grade. It rebounds from average to good again afterwards. Principal- As many reviews have previously stated her only concern is your ability to pay each month. In addition to tuition she will take each and every opportunity to tack on additional fees: 30 min early drop off? its a fee. Afterschool 'Babysittng'? its a fee (and its almost double on half-days) Cant 'volunteer' for mandatory lunch duty? Its a fee Want to learn to play Music? Outsourced... for a fee and a Misc Fee (in case she cant get you with one of the above fees!) However: Need Tutoring, extra help? Your on your own. Book club, chess club etc? nope Sports? Only for the NBA bound. Parent involvement- Basically run by the inner circle of the PTA group all others need not apply. Overall its a great start to place your kids for the early years but not for the long haul. At times you will find yourself questioning what exactly is the benefit of paying to support this school vs a public school.

Posted December 4, 2013

Olph principal called child protective service on me. For not revealing the new school my child transfer to. As parent make sure is this the right school for and your child. The principal put my child through an experience no parent would want to a child to experience.

Posted August 26, 2012

OLPH provided a caring, nurturing environment for my early growth, confidence and future success. I felt loved by the teachers and never wanted to leave school, What is better than that?

Posted July 7, 2012

Happy to give this schools 4 stars. It is true, the principal is not a warm fuzzy. She is a great administrator however - Catholic schools are having difficult times financially all over our area. Our school has new desks, smartboards in every classroom and has ipads which students currently share - with more being purchased this summer. The teachers have the most contact with the students and they provide the main nurturing, which is how I prefer it. One of my children has graduated and is excelling in high school and my other children are doing very well at OLPH. They enjoy going to school each day and I am well aware of the NYS curriculum and it is being adhered to, at least in their classes. The teachers do have a good relationship with each other, but when I am there volunteering, they are not in the hallways chatting but actively teaching. As with most Catholic schools, parents must help at lunch or pay a fee. I know from experience that this "model" was taken from other schools in the area in order to guarantee adequate lunch time supervision for safety purposes. If a student is willing to work, they will get an excellent education here and parents must support that.

Posted June 28, 2012

Money is more important then your child. the way i remember it parents were forced to pay if you could not attend lunch duty - don't know if that's changed now. Current principal is ruining the school. my kids always talked about how teachers were chatting in the hallways after assigning the same old classowork

Posted June 25, 2012

I am replying to the very bitter review(s) - all 3, I am sure, are being submitted by the same parent. As a faculty member, I regret that you feel this way about our school and that you kept your child/children in our school considering your opinions. It honestly does not make sense to me. As a faculty member I believe that we have a principal who is working hard to keep us updated - smartboards and ipads have replaced an outdated, expensive and poorly run computer program. Our faculty works extremely hard - most teachers are here long after the students go home. We ( staff, parents and students) work toward a common goal: to educate our children, prepare them for the future and instill Catholic values of love, respect, responsibility, fairness along with the old fashioned value of manners. If a parent has a problem, we are more than happy (and available) to meet at his/her convenience. Personally, I feel fortunate to come to work here each day. I am supported by my principal and our parents, I am inspired by my colleagues and I am devoted to my students. Our graduates succeed and often excel in the public and private schools they attend. Someone has an ax to grind - sad.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 11, 2012

Do not send your child here!!! for the price they charge there are many others that are better.Only a few decent teachers,new principal only cares for money,each child is only a dollar sign to her.They dont offer computers,music and art are a joke.Academics are not up to par,other schools both catholic and public are at a higher learning level.LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE AND DO BETTER FOR YOUR KIDS,DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY,K IDS WILL NOT EXCEL HERE. BTW ENROLLMENT IS AT ABOUT 170 NOT 213.GIVE IT A FEW MORE YEAR AND IT WILL CLOSE DOWN

Posted June 1, 2012

No school is perfect, but OLPH is filled with hardworking teachers, staff and parents who have the students' best interests at heart. I am extremely happy with the education that my children receive at this school. I do not understand the past comment about lackadaisical teachers when so many of them are working in school hours after the students go home. They are always accessible to discuss a child's progress and willing to help them in any way possible. As a very involved parent I am in constant contact with the teachers and we work closely together to make sure my children achieve academically. Smartboards and now ipads are being used in the classrooms. My children ( of varied abilities) are all doing well and truly enjoy going to school each day. My friend's children who are graduating and have graduated are attending the high schools of their choice, many with scholarships. How sad (and irresponsible) that a parent who did not like the school - kept her child in it - if the placement was not appropriate for her daughter when other choices were available. I highly recommend OLPH and am so happy to have found this school for my kids.

Posted May 21, 2012

Great school, definately prepared me for High School! Made lifelong friends there that I still keep in touch with today!

Posted April 10, 2012

I am a strong believer in a solid foundation in grade school to help achieve successful years in high school. OLPH has not helped my daughter with that. Looking back, I am realizing what a mistake it was to send my daughter here and I would have chosen public school instead. The teachers' lackadaisical attitudes towards the math and english subjects hurt my child immensely. It will take much time and money to put my child back on the right track with these subjects which should have been done years ago. These years from kindergarten through 8th grade are very critical and I believe this school has done nothing to establish a good learning foundation. I do not recommend OLPH, and in fact regret it. For lack of a better word, this school is a joke.

Posted February 1, 2012

i think this school is great my other school is very rude. really a nice school

Posted November 14, 2011

My daughter graduated from this school in 2009, and i realize how much of a mistake it was to send her there. The poor academics this school has would not prepare the average child for high school, and now my daughter is paying for it junior year. Along with college around the corner, many of the graduates from this school is disadvantaged when it comes to the SAT tests. Elementary and middle school is supposed to build strong math and reading foundations, and as high school came along i realize that OLPH has done NONE of that. Money is more important then the child in this school and the principal always has her hand out. Mind you, that teachers in catholic schools do not require a masters degree hence the inexperienced teaching, even narrow-minded older teachers who have not even tried to enhance their skills. I cannot even fathom the uninterested attitude the staff has at OL and I am outraged at the fact that my daughter is in years of great loss because of this school.

Posted July 29, 2010

OLPH has great teachers, but the administration is TERRIBLE! The only reason I keep my children here is for the outstanding level of education they receive. There is no strong school leadership and the principal lacks social skills. She speaks to both parents and children in a condescending manner. The priest has little or no involvement except to collect the money the parents raise. If the administration in the school were better, this would be the best catholic school in the state.

Posted July 16, 2010

I enrolled my sons at the school mid term. The reception was outstanding. I felt comfortable entrusting my sons to the teachers. Given that my sons were coming from a different curriculum, the effort placed by the teachers to make sure the children adapt is something that is rare. Within a month, my kids were so already adapted and looking forward to every day at school. I like the way information is shared and the way the Principal and her team make an effort to inform and assist. It is a great school and I am proud and fortunate to have my children within the school.

Posted March 13, 2009

My eldest child has been at OLPH for 8 years now and has done nothing but excel each year, he grows academically,spiritually and emotionally. It is due in part to the dedication and committment that our teachers and staff give each and everyday. OLPH is more than just a school it is an extension of my family.not only do my children have wonderful friends but I too have developed close relationships with many of the parents. I love that I have such an opportunity to be a part of my childrens school. Every year since I have been there improvements are being made.We are in the process of getting 'Smart Boards ' for each class room! Way to go OLPH!

Posted February 24, 2009

This school thinks of nothing but the 'dollar'. The tuition goes up and we see nothing in return. They ask for 'voulunteers' to help during lunch, and if you do not help, they charge you a fee. Last time I looked at the definition of 'volunteer, no where did it say that if you did not help, a fee would be charged. They stress rules about wardrobe, then close their eyes to the blatant disregard that many students do not adhere to these rules. The school would be well served bringing back the old principal. I for one am glad my child will not be returning. Finally , the Home school association is loaded with people who are self serving and add nothing to the school.

Posted January 15, 2009

My daughter has been a student since 1st grade, she will be graduating this year. The teachers are wonderful and the school is strong academically. Their quality of education and the involvement of parents exceeded my expectations. The children have strong bonds with one another and it feels like family. We have had a large amount of students entering our school this year because of other school closings. Many new parents share that they wish they knew of OLPH sooner because they have never felt more welcomed and find the quality of education exceptional.

Two or more races 12% N/A
Asian 8% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Susan L. Cotronei
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

575 Fowler Avenue