Posted May 25, 2014
Two years ago the school my children were is was going to close soe we had to choose another school. We looked at several in our area but were impressed with OLPH because of the academic program, its cleanliness, it was friendly place to be and it was a school with a diverse student body. We wanted this for our children because it reflects the world we live in. Even though we registered in January for September I was not 100% sure. That June I went to the grade 8 graduation and that sealed the deal. The honors and awards that this class received was outstanding-especially for a small school. The ceremony was personal and yet dignified. I knew then we had made the right decision and I have not regretted it. Yes there are times we struggle with school issues but that is life. The important thing is everyone who is there; faculty, principal, parents, students all WANT to be there. Tat makes a great difference. Our oldest child will be moving on in another year and I now that she will do well because of her experience at OLPH. Our first school closing was a blessing in disguise.

Posted May 17, 2014
When we were looking fo a school for our son 'warm and fuzzy' was not on the list of requirements. we wanted a strong academic program in a structured safe place. We found this and more at OLPH. Our son is now in high school doing great. He had a great foundation and hands on tech experience at OLPH. I volunteering as much as I could and felt appfreciated. Schools like this need money to operate. You can see that the money raised is put right into the school to adncae programs. I guess you cant please everyone but if I had to do it all over again I would in a heart beat. While other schools have closed OLPH is strong. My son got his warm fuzzies from his home and he is doing just fine.

Posted April 22, 2014
My children have attended O.L.P.H. from the early lower grades. Like any other school - each teacher has her own strengths and weaknesses. When I have a problem, I immediately head into school to speak to the teacher involved. I do this without making an appointment. They are always available and willing to help me and my children. There are various activities available. There is a band program used by many Catholic schools in the area, basketball for both boys and girls and volleyball for girls (Gr. 5 and up),and a spring chess club. I help as much as I can. A very involved and giving group of parents run book fairs, a Halloween party, Thanksgiving luncheon, breakfast with Santa, class holiday parties etc. Yes, there are fees. Yes, parents must pay for early morning drop off and after school care. This is not unique to this school. With all the schools closing, O.L.P.H. remains open and I am grateful. My kids love it here. They have friends, they work hard, they are busy and engaged. The teachers have high expectations in terms of both work and behavior. It was a good choice for my children. You get what you put into it...Often the complainers are nowhere to be seen!

Our Lady Of Perpetual Help School 2

Posted March 07, 2014
Teacher Quality- Teachers are hit or miss ranging from very good in the lower grades, then it takes a serious nose dive after the second grade. It rebounds from average to good again afterwards. Principal- As many reviews have previously stated her only concern is your ability to pay each month. In addition to tuition she will take each and every opportunity to tack on additional fees: 30 min early drop off? its a fee. Afterschool 'Babysittng'? its a fee (and its almost double on half-days) Cant 'volunteer' for mandatory lunch duty? Its a fee Want to learn to play Music? Outsourced... for a fee and a Misc Fee (in case she cant get you with one of the above fees!) However: Need Tutoring, extra help? Your on your own. Book club, chess club etc? nope Sports? Only for the NBA bound. Parent involvement- Basically run by the inner circle of the PTA group all others need not apply. Overall its a great start to place your kids for the early years but not for the long haul. At times you will find yourself questioning what exactly is the benefit of paying to support this school vs a public school.

Posted December 04, 2013
Olph principal called child protective service on me. For not revealing the new school my child transfer to. As parent make sure is this the right school for and your child. The principal put my child through an experience no parent would want to a child to experience.

Posted August 26, 2012
OLPH provided a caring, nurturing environment for my early growth, confidence and future success. I felt loved by the teachers and never wanted to leave school, What is better than that?

Posted July 07, 2012
Happy to give this schools 4 stars. It is true, the principal is not a warm fuzzy. She is a great administrator however - Catholic schools are having difficult times financially all over our area. Our school has new desks, smartboards in every classroom and has ipads which students currently share - with more being purchased this summer. The teachers have the most contact with the students and they provide the main nurturing, which is how I prefer it. One of my children has graduated and is excelling in high school and my other children are doing very well at OLPH. They enjoy going to school each day and I am well aware of the NYS curriculum and it is being adhered to, at least in their classes. The teachers do have a good relationship with each other, but when I am there volunteering, they are not in the hallways chatting but actively teaching. As with most Catholic schools, parents must help at lunch or pay a fee. I know from experience that this "model" was taken from other schools in the area in order to guarantee adequate lunch time supervision for safety purposes. If a student is willing to work, they will get an excellent education here and parents must support that.

Posted June 28, 2012
Money is more important then your child. the way i remember it parents were forced to pay if you could not attend lunch duty - don't know if that's changed now. Current principal is ruining the school. my kids always talked about how teachers were chatting in the hallways after assigning the same old classowork

Posted June 25, 2012
I am replying to the very bitter review(s) - all 3, I am sure, are being submitted by the same parent. As a faculty member, I regret that you feel this way about our school and that you kept your child/children in our school considering your opinions. It honestly does not make sense to me. As a faculty member I believe that we have a principal who is working hard to keep us updated - smartboards and ipads have replaced an outdated, expensive and poorly run computer program. Our faculty works extremely hard - most teachers are here long after the students go home. We ( staff, parents and students) work toward a common goal: to educate our children, prepare them for the future and instill Catholic values of love, respect, responsibility, fairness along with the old fashioned value of manners. If a parent has a problem, we are more than happy (and available) to meet at his/her convenience. Personally, I feel fortunate to come to work here each day. I am supported by my principal and our parents, I am inspired by my colleagues and I am devoted to my students. Our graduates succeed and often excel in the public and private schools they attend. Someone has an ax to grind - sad.

Posted June 11, 2012
Do not send your child here!!! for the price they charge there are many others that are better.Only a few decent teachers,new principal only cares for money,each child is only a dollar sign to her.They dont offer computers,music and art are a joke.Academics are not up to par,other schools both catholic and public are at a higher learning level.LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE AND DO BETTER FOR YOUR KIDS,DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY,K IDS WILL NOT EXCEL HERE. BTW ENROLLMENT IS AT ABOUT 170 NOT 213.GIVE IT A FEW MORE YEAR AND IT WILL CLOSE DOWN

Our Lady Of Perpetual Help School
575 Fowler Avenue, Pelham Manor, NY  10803
Last modified Our Lady Of Perpetual Help School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady Of Perpetual Help School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top