Prospect Hill School

Public | K-5 | 353 students

Posted May 1, 2014

My wife and I were initially a bit concerned that the school might not be a good fit for our son due to the somewhat lack of diversity. Our child has been attending Prospect Hill for about 2 years now and is having a wonderful time. Students are taught to be caring and respectful. The Principal is a wonderful person and staffs are extremely qualified and caring. My son is fortunate to be attending this school.

Posted October 25, 2013

My school is wonderful. We have a great community and thanks to Deborah Karson, we have beautiful pictures of our kids everywhere.

Posted October 25, 2013

The Prinicipal and teachers at Prospect Hill are wonderful. They work hard to engage their students and foster a love for learning. My daughter is excited to go to school everyday. The school psychologist is excellent and they have implemented Anti-bullying as part of the culture. Kids learn to treat each other with respect and how to handle difficult situations. Highly recommend our school.

Posted October 24, 2013

My school is supportive of ways to improve the experience of our students. A new lunchtime chess program was introduced 3 years ago with the support of the principal and PTA. Three years and a new principal later, the program fills up on the first day of registration and there are now 3 offerings. My school has tremendous spirit as shown through the actions of the teachers and principal. My kids love going to Prospect Hill--you can't get better than that.

Posted October 24, 2013

I feel that the teachers and staff at PH really know my child. I love the sense of community there. My daughter loves her teachers and loves learning, and that's what counts!

Posted October 24, 2013

Prospect Hill is a great little school. We moved from the city and I was very skeptical of this local public school. We were relieved to learn that the teachers and staff were all seasoned pros. My child was welcomed in the second grade with open arms. We will be sad to leave when my child graduates at the end of the year.

Posted September 27, 2013

My elementary school is the best! From the Principal through the Custodial staff you couldn't find a more friendly learning environment than that of Prospect Hill school. The teachers are caring individuals with such passion for their craft and this love of learning is equally shared by the students. The principal has been in the District for nearly 3 decades and is completely engaged with the student body on a daily basis as well as with the parents whom all look up to him. The school has a very active and strong PTA spearheaded by parents who wish to make a different in their children's learning experience. Finally, the school building and grounds are immaculate due to a wonderful maintenance staff and the structure is sound and magnificent as well. My children are so proud of their school and as a parent, it is a wonderful feeling knowing that each day I am sending them off to an environment that they want to be in!

Posted April 11, 2011

I am now a seventh grader at the middle school, and I loved prospect! It was so much fun, from the volleyball intermurals to our filed trips. my favorite was to Ellis Island. The teachers were great and understanding. Our grade was the first to loop, and even though we were the guinea pigs, we were glad it was us because we loved our 4th grade teachers. The school is amazing, and I'm really glad I went to that elementary school.

Posted January 13, 2010

I hope my children are aware of just how fortunate they are to be in a school like Prospect Hill! I strongly concur with the parent who posted a comment on 9 Jan 2007. The playgrounds are fabulous and we can walk to school. Inside, the walls are hung to capacity with student work, celebrating the childrens' education. The teachers typically give far beyond what is required of them, and make learning a fun experience. My gripe is that the Pelham District introduced a NY Standards Based Report Card which does not report, learning or progress, to the parents in a helpful way. I believe the teachers have intimately understood our children, but the report card has no place to comment on the child's learning, the student is reduced to a mere number. This form of reporting does not reflect the learning environment.

Posted April 1, 2009

Wonderful teachers, a highly involved principal, a strong PTA are the upsides of this school. We are still getting adjusted to the new reportcard. For those of us who have had older children in the system for years its a big adjustment and the juries still out about this new methodology though the school is trying to adjust as it gets feedback from parents. I love that my daughters at this school. I feel as though her teachers have a great understanding of her as an individual and a student, and she is happy to go to school each day. I expect that she will go well prepared to middle shool when the time comes.

Posted December 10, 2008

The new system of how children are graded is pathetic. Using a system of 1 through 4 to articulate how a child is progressing is damaging to the child and does not reflect to the parents where the child needs work. I have found the principal completely unresponsive to many of the issues that are concerning at this school and i am pulling my child out of PH and putting her into a private school. Even though we pay the highest taxes in Westchester for 'excellent' schools in Pelham.

Posted December 9, 2008

The Principal is ineffective and unresponsive to parent's concerns. The creativity has left this school. The children deserve more.

Posted December 9, 2008

The Principal is ineffective and unresponsive to parents concerns. The creativity has left the school. The children deserve more.

Posted July 2, 2007

I am a parent and the 5th grade just added a teacher. But the teacher will be teaching in the hallway as there is no space. i am very unhappy with how the principal and school is run.

Posted June 26, 2007

The Principal has allowed the 4th grade math classes to be taught in the hallways do to the lack of space. The school does not discipline the students and they treat other teachers and fellow students with rudeness and disrespect. I have 2 girls in this school and will be pulling them out of Prospect Hill this summer. With such high taxes in Pelham, i would have thought that Prospect Hill would have offered a better education platform than it does.

Posted February 22, 2007

We only know the kindergarten program thus far, but we've been pleased, overall. The principal is fabulous and responsive, and we respect him highly. Our son's classroom teacher is great, although I do think communication with parents could be improved.

Posted January 9, 2007

Prospect Hill is simply a magical place.It is led by a wonderful principal and has an active PTA. The teachers are highly qualified, innovative and motivated. The school has a great PE program and recess is still valued at this public school. They have a talented music teacher and programs in band, orchestra and chorus. The librarian seems to somehow know what book to recommend for each child. The school has a lot of green space and most children live within walking distance of the school. There is a strong sense of community and the children are made to feel valued. The PTA also organises a lunchtime enrichment program offering language, cooking, crafts, dance etc. The curriculum also includes art every week. There is a strong emphasis on academics.

Posted January 29, 2006

Nice neighborhood school with improving reading scores. When parents have concern, principal automatically sides with staff even before listing to parent. No cafeteria. Gym is substandard. Entire distict doesn't have a swimming pool.

Posted July 2, 2005

Very caring school. The teachers go above and beyond their call of duty to help students and foster relationships with parents.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

White 2 77% 48%

Master's degree and above 56%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1000 Washington Ave