No rating

Our Lady Of Mercy School

Private | PK-8 | 66 students

Living in Plainview

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $440,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,790.

Posted June 28, 2014

This used to be a great school-now it is a sinking ship. The lack of quality teachers at the middle school level, a pastor who considers the school" just another ministry", and a principal with about as much warmth as the iceberg the Titanic hit has pushed this school into a downward spiral. While there are still excellent teachers in the lower grades, the kids are not adequately prepared for high school in the upper grades. As a former OLM parent, I cannot , in good faith, recommend this school unless something is done about the current administration and the middle school/ junior high.

Posted May 28, 2014

Our lady of Mercy seemed like a caring nurturing community with a small "family" like atmosphere. We thought this would be perfect for our daughter...until she started third grade and faced 6months of relentless bullying from a core group of girls in her class. some of which were her friends the year before I wholeheartedly agree with the posts by other parents who claim that the children of the "superstar wonder parents" club are favored over anyone else. That's the impression I get -this school is a "Club" full of it girls and if you don't fit in or not always living up at the school you will be an OUTSIDER- one thing I have to say I do commend my daughters teacher for taking the right moves to stop the bullying and It helped after my my daughter finally admitted to us what had been happening for months and the real reason she left the activities she loved because of the cruel remarks and being ignored and intentionally left out socially. A final note in my opinion this new mandatory volunteer hours or else is extortion. whats worse -if you owe money for hrs your child will be excluded from all school events even their graduation and no report card. That's not very Christian..

Posted May 19, 2014

I have a child attending Our Lady of Mercy. I have mixed feelings about the school. There are some teachers at the school that really care about the students. They go above and beyond for the students. There are also some teachers that do not show any enthusiasm and are downright obnoxious. The new principal, Mrs. Harrigan, seems to really care about her students well being. Some of the new policies and procedures are questionable, but since she is relatively new things could change. The school states that they have a zero tolerance for bullying. This is 100% FALSE. From what I have seen, it appears that they have zero tolerance for some students and give second and third chances for others. If it were zero tolerance I could name at least 5 students in my child's grade that would have been expelled a year ago. In fact, I reported 2 bullying incidents personally that I witnessed by the same student and was told that it wasn't bullying. I know the parents of the child that did the bullying and my guess is that the child got a pass because the parents donate a lot of money. Some of the children that attend are really nasty and some of the parents are even worse.

Posted February 22, 2014

I think students should get a say on this website too after all aren't they the ones going to the school right? This school is horrible. We play in a parking lot. There are no AP classes of any sort. They spend money on the most ridiculous things. The dress code for dress-down day is suffocating. A kid had to call home for another shirt because he was wearing a white t-shirt and it looked too much like an undershirt. We aren't Amish can't we just wear what we want for the one day of the year we get to wear our own cloths? The gym ceiling is too low an the tiles fall out of it constantly, it's dangerous but we can't fix it because we are too busy spending our money on other things. They are always milking money out of our parents if they spent it correctly they'd have enough. The kids here hate this school once they get to 5th grade because they begin to realize what other schools have to offer. Whenever I talk to kids from public school about any subjects because this school failed to teach me the proper material. It's embarrassing to go to this school.

Posted December 12, 2013

Was not happy with this school. The school was outdated and not enough after school activities. The biggest problem is the clicks between the students. It was upsetting to see children sitting alone who were not accepted.

Posted August 8, 2012

Can not find more caring, more nuturing, or more encouraging teachers. Well worth the money. It truely has a family atmosphere.

Posted December 14, 2011

I am extremely happy with the school.They have great teachers and a solid academic program.My children are constantly being challenged to do better and work stronger. It was the perfect choice for our family. I also love all the other parents there.We've made lots of wonderful friends over the years.

Posted December 13, 2011

I never thought of catholic school for my children but I am glad my wife talked me into it! There are no words to expalin what an amazing education they are getting. It is the one check I enjoy writing each month.Thanks OLMS! Also- great cyo program!

Posted December 12, 2011

An amazing school with great parents,teachers and students.My kids are flourishing! Glad we made the right decison to send them here

Posted December 12, 2011

My kids are in 4th and 1st grade.iIam so thrilled with the quality of education and christian values they are getting here.I highly recommend OLMS.

Posted May 22, 2011

I pulled my children out of this school! It is all flash and no substance, with a lot of rich, snotty kids and parents. If you are looking for expensive goody bags for your tuition dollars...this is the place to be. Looking for quality education with chrisitian values and without rampant bullying...keep looking!

Posted April 17, 2011

my son spent 3 years at mercy for the middle school grades. i thought i picked the right school for middle school, i was wrong. the teachers for the upper grades really did not teach the students anything. it was a joke. the 8 grade science teacher was teaching like they were in kindergarten. all they did was color. mercy did not prepare them for catholic high school. there was no discipline at all and the students had no respect for the teachers. it was horrible of the stories that my son had told me.

Posted March 21, 2011

I feel at home in this parish & am so happy my kids are attending OLM school. The teachers are excellent and communicate with me about my children's intellectual, spiritual, physical and social issues all the time. The students are accountable for their actions and responsible for their grades. But they are also held to a moral conduct which shapes them into good citizens - to think of others and set a good example for younger students. All schools will have something that could be improved upon - it is always a work in progress. Under the direction of SIster Joanne, the Principal, I know my children will be guided in the best possible way. There are eight Sisters of Mercy active in the school and even more in the parish. I am thankful that my children learn from these wonderful teachers and role models. To have faith in your life is a blessing in good times and bad. There is also a great youth program run by Noland Reynolds - and cyo.

Posted February 20, 2011

I never wanted to send my kids to Catholic school, but my wife won that arguement and I am glad she did. The school has been a blessing. My kids are having so much fun learning on the Smartboards. Whoever said Catholic education is archaic has not visited OLM. I absolutely love the faculty and the parents have been very inclusive. LOTS of activities are arranged to get to know everyone. I am proud to say my kids attend OLM.

Posted January 22, 2011

I've had a child going to OLM for the last 10 years and I can't say enough wonderful things about the quality of the education, teachers and administration. My oldest daughter just graduated last year and was accepted into the honors program at Kellenberg, Trinity and OLM Academy. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quality christian education

Posted May 28, 2010

Don't go here for Christian values. They preach, but don't practice. My son's grade has a lot of bullying going on, and they don't stop it. The wealthier parents donate more to the school, and their kids get an easier ride. Some teachers are compassionate, while others are bullies themselves. When the teacher debases a child in front of the kids that bully him, you can't say that's a good place to be. The school doesn't offer much outside of the basic academics. There is only one foreign language course. The science program is weak in the upper grades - many students go on to high school and have to catch up to their classmates. Not a great school. They do not live up to their reputation at all.

Posted March 8, 2010

A great school.I was looking for a place where my kids would feel at home.A place where we as parents shared similar values and beliefs.I found it here.I love what they get at OLM.I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a christian based education.

Posted November 21, 2009

only send you kids if you plan on having them entering in prek and staying until 8th grade. do not even think of transferring here, you will feel like an outcast. If you are looking for a Catholic school that will have decent discipline and good curriculum , then this is not your school. Keep looking

Posted May 6, 2009

My two children have been attending Our Lady of Mercy School in Hicksville for five years now. I am more than pleased with their education. This school not only offers your children an above average education, it offers morals and family values. The children at this school are polite and helpful and they also care very much for one another.

Posted April 27, 2009

As a student who attended Our Lady of Mercy I can honestly say it is a great school. The teachers are amazing, and I also love the principal. She is the nicest person you will ever meet. I went onto a Catholic high school and Mercy definitely prepared me for it. I loved my full 10 years at Mercy, and I am sure you will too. It is overall a GREAT school.

Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mary Joanne Deegan
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Rockville Centre

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

520 South Oyster Bay Road