Port Jefferson Station, NY

Comsewogue High School 1

Posted November 25, 2013
The recent poster is exactly correct. This is a district that embraces athletics and does not support education. The expectations and standards are far below other districts beginning in Kindergarten. (ex. Sachem required twice as many sight words for Kindergarten students to know by the end of the year than our district). My 3rd grader was told he can't take out 4th grade level books even though he can read them because they have to be reserved for the 4th graders. There was no advocacy or alternative solutions explored to meet the needs of my "gifted" child on any level. The superintendent.....my personal experience has been negative. When I raised my hand at a meeting to ask a question (sat in front row in plain sight), he did not care to take my question, nor did he respond to my written question that I submitted. He is a "rock star" as people say for the "struggling children." What about the children that are on the opposite end of that spectrum? Some of the teachers here should be fired for their lack of professionalism. They collect a paycheck, do the minimum, and call it a day. A true shame. Glad to have moved up and onward.

Comsewogue High School 2

Posted October 02, 2013
If your child is an athlete is interested in sports then Comsewogue is wonderful. If you want more academic or other extra curricular opportunities then do not come here. There is also an issue with children being bullied and very little being done about it. The superintendent, Dr. Rella, is wonderful though. Very caring and interested in the students and their families.

Posted October 01, 2013
Any school in a district with Superintendent Joe Rella is a blessed school. 2 kids graduated from Comsewogue and thrived! Lots of extracurricular clubs, sports, activities to keep the kids involved and interested.

Comsewogue High School 2

Posted February 01, 2013
This school needs to get its facts together. The students need to learn that the ghetto is not in school and these same skip class everyday. Most students are not for school at all and there are many troublemakers. Port Jefferson Station is quickly going downhill as well. Im moving out before my town turns into another Brentwood.

Posted January 05, 2013
This school won the Siemens, Intel competition, which by the way is national. This school has been undefeated in Soccer for several seasons. This school is far less "warlike" than Longwood, trust me, former student (4th - 9th). This school received an award from DC commending our anti-bullying environment, only a select few over the country received this award. This school has an amazing AP program where the teachers not only "diagnose but treat" students' problems in areas such as writing, speed, strategy, depth, and much more. The only reason that this school seems to be ranked lower in test scores... let's face it, is because of the ethnicity. Ward Melville, which is ranked higher is so good only because it is near Stony Brook University where 60% + of the students are of some Asian descent... Since they have received high test scores for that school it has created a skew of results that makes Ward Mel. seem as if they have better teachers/ administration/ programs. This school has pretty much pulled me out of an abyss. Last year I was to the point of crying when I got my AP World History essay exam scores back (class tests not AP) in Longwood..Like I said, 'diagnose and treat.'

Posted January 05, 2013
This school is terrific. For one, AP World. My son used to go to Longwood where the AP World course is split into two years, in CHS they compress it into one year. Last year he became upset because of the poor marks he was receiving from his CCOT and C/C essays which averaged to be 67% for his final marks, the Longwood teacher managed somehow to get him to get a final grade of 90 in the class for the overall GPA. The CHS teacher actually sat down with my kid, early in the school year (Oct.) helped him with his AP essay writings, allowing him to rewrite and encouraged him, contrast to the last years teacher who basically piled his students up with essays in class with little experience of writing them in the last month of school. Last year my son basically wanted to drop APWH and take global and actually looked forward to moving. He also admitted that in the first week of the year there had already been 3 fights between kids in the cafe, some of the others had been bloody gruesome fights. In CHS, he has yet to see one and it's almost February. The principals are also great, they keep in touch with the community by texting students who subscribe and updating parents frequently

Posted September 18, 2012
I'm a current Junior at Comsewogue and I just read the previous reviews and I would like to set some things straight. The school first of all, has excellent security guards, excellent teachers that go above and beyond for the benefit of the students, many challenging courses for the students that are able to be challenged. As for the issue with students fighting, and bullying, the school has stepped up in its prevention methods towards bullying. The school has won a national award for its anti-bullying program, so I would say that this school is fantastic.

Posted September 16, 2009
i just transferred back into the high school, I'm a junior. everyone has been so nice and accepting of me since i arrived in the beginning of the year. I'm loving every second, and can't wait to go back tomorrow. the faculty and my peers are all extremely nice. ^^

Comsewogue High School 3

Posted July 08, 2009

Posted March 10, 2009

Comsewogue High School
565 North Bicycle Path, Port Jefferson Station, NY  11776
Last modified Comsewogue High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Comsewogue High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top