No rating

Poughkeepsie Day School

Private | PK-12 | 291 students

Living in Poughkeepsie

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $205,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted April 17, 2011

Our two kids enrolled at PDS in 9th and 6th grade respectively. We're in our second year now, our only regret is we didn't discover PDS earlier. The kids are thriving, the faculty are wonderful, the culture and values of the school are nurturing. PDS is a well-kept secret. Famlies that want a first rate progressive education for their kids should definitely check it out.

Posted March 4, 2011

After I attended the information session, I knew I would feel guilty sending my child to any other school. Sensitive and caring teachers who go out of their way to assist students. There is no "grade envy" because there are no grades. Each teacher prepares a written narrative twice per year about each child's progress. This about learning and learning to love learning. Music, drama, art, Spanish all begin in the lower school. More frequent physical education classes than in the public schools. This is a community of learners dedicated to quality education. The After School Program is wonderful and there is no charge for before school care. The Food Program is amazing - fresh, local foods and always a vegetarian entre. No junk food! Yes, PDS is is expensive but worth it. And if qualified, a family may receive financial aid.

Posted August 27, 2010

My two children have attended Poughkeepsie Day School since pre-K and are currently going into 3rd and 5th grade. I placed them into PDS because I wanted them to learn how to think independently and nurture a love of learning. I have not been disappointed. My children love each and every day of school. It's summer and they are counting down each day until school starts. Excellent teachers offering a challenging education and wonderful administrative and parent community.

Posted June 6, 2010

I have a child in the lower school. He has truly blossomed in the 2 years that he has attended. I truly believe the caring teachers, wonderful resources, and low student to teacher ratio helped foster his love of school and learning. To those contemplating sending their children to this school, take a visit. Notice all the smiling faces walking through the halls, and engaged children in the classroom. That sold me.

Posted April 29, 2010

A school true to its mission, challenging every student academically, creatively, while preparing them for the future of critical thinking!

Posted February 18, 2010

My two children went through the lower school and are both now in the middle school. I feel lucky every day to be part of the PDS community. I love how the children are not pressured to do well for the teacher, but instead to strive to reach a goal for him/herself. Having said this, the teachers share in the joy and pride of their students' many accomplishments. Kids are actively engaged as learners in each class and every grade. I am in awe of how the PDS administrators and teachers stick to the wonderful progressive philosophy, while creating an exciting and challenging academic program. PDS students are confident, incredibly smart, sensitive, creative, thinking people who know how to solve problems independently and in groups. Teachers are caring, highly intelligent and inspired. A sense of respect reigns throughout PDS. A very special school!

Posted October 28, 2009

We decided to make the switch from our local and highly ranked public school to PDS after an amazing visit to the school . We have 2 children (Lower School and Middle School) and it is our 3rd year at PDS. I don't think I truly understood what my kids were missing in their education until they started PDS. My children are completely different learners and teachers and staff at PDS understand how to maximize the learning of every child in the class room. My son especially loves the music program, the cooperative PE program and challenging math problems. My daughter thrives with a rich humanities curriculum, early exposure to foreign language and hands on science. An excellent balanced curriculum. Coming from a European educational background myself, I am very pleased with the global and top notch education both my children get at PDS. A visit is a must!

Posted April 2, 2009

I have never been happier or more enthused in my life, to wake up at an ungodly hour to go learn. When I read some of these negative reviews, I only wish those students and parents were better cut out for this school. Some people aren't exactly meant to be in a more academically advanced, progressive school and I believe this is what lead to their negative experiences. I've never been so respected, cherished, or listened to in my entire life. It's a horrid mistake to miss out on the community and upper school arts department. This school is well worth the money.

Posted March 18, 2009

Poughkeepsie Day School has been great for my daughter, who is in 2nd grade and transferred in from another private school. She looks forward to going to school and has come to love math, which used to be a difficult subject for her. The teachers engage the children by making classwork interesting and relevant. The field trips are tied directly to the curriculum and build on a theme. So they re also learning about the world beyond the classroom walls. The art, music, and drama teachers are outstanding. There is a climate of mutual respect among students and teachers. Ethics are stressed. I have been active in the parent organization and made many good friends. I have gotten to know parents of older students who have told me that PDS has been life-changing for their kids. The high school reminds me of a small college.

Posted March 7, 2009

I have been at PDS for three years now. And I love it. What I like most is that my teachers really care. At my old school I was just a number. At PDS I matter. I really like the choice of academics and the fact that I can get to do so many things like Model UN, be in the band and play sports. Best of all I have made some great friends with people I know I will keep forever.

Posted February 6, 2009

I love the focus on the skills kids will need to be successful. The college guidance is top notch. It's small but it still has a strong range of choices for academics. Kids learn to be independent thinkers who actually care about the world. Both my children learned to love - absolutely love - science and art.

Posted November 27, 2008

I cannot say enough good things about Poughkeepsie Day School. My children are getting an excellent education in all the academics and in values. The teachers are amazing and go well beyond to help every child. The program is very full and exciting. My children love to go to school everyday. I feel so lucky that they go to PDS and have the chance to do and try so many amazing things. The college prep program is very strong and the high school is like a college but in the best way.

Posted August 4, 2008

I've been a student at PDS for almost 6 years now and I am still amazed at what an absolutely amazing school and community it is. PDS epitomizes the fantastic progressive school; it's academically excellent, it has an incredibly strong community and the teachers are approachable, nice excellent teachers, and all around good people.

Posted June 11, 2008

PDS is more than a school. It is a community, a vital and brilliant one. It is close-knit and requires participation on the part of student and parent alike. To be a part of the community of PDS is to know the school and revere it for the unique place it is. My children have been there since Pre-K and are now in high school. I could not be happier with the fine young people they are becoming, in large part due to the school. They are carefully watched, encouraged but never lectured to. They are allowed to be self-directed learners. Not every kid can handle that--but they have learned to learn, and this will, I believe, set them up well for the very unstable future I see ahead for all of us. There are no locks on the lockers--because it is assumed no one will steal. Consequently, no one does!

Posted May 31, 2008

As a parent of two students at Poughkeepsie Day School, in the middle and upper schools, I could not be more pleased. My children are challenged, love going to school, have developed new passions and interests, and have wonderful relationships with their teachers and other students. They are doing very well academically and have much more intellectually challenging and interesting work than they did at the (very good) public high school they attended previously. Sending them to Poughkeepsie Day School is the best decision we have ever made for them!

Posted May 20, 2008

I love going to poughkeepsie day school because it is amazingly fun. It has small classes which allows more space for knowlodge. Yes, it may be exspensive, but belive me, it is worth it. It is very hands on, so you can not just learn about it, you can get up close and personal to whatever. I defintly suggest going there.

Posted May 7, 2008

I am glad to see that finally some parents are speaking out loud. This is the worst school I have ever been in. I am also waiting for the school year to be over. Not worth the money. It has been a complete disappointment

Posted March 31, 2008

My son enrolled at PDS after attending a traditional prep school for three years. He is throughly enjoying the PDS experience. He is engaged in active learning. He comes home energized about his academic day. We were concerned about him being the new student, however the students and faculty at the school are so warm & welcoming he feels at home already! PDS- top notch academics,arts,social environment

Posted February 23, 2008

I have attended PDS for years and am appauled at the way they run their school. Not only do they not administer classes properly, they do not live up to their standards. I have learned less this year than in the past. I was in love with this school and their philosophy, but it has changed for the worst.

Posted February 12, 2008

Poor communication on the part of the teachers and administration. Not academically challenging. Admin will talk an issue or problem to death rather than deal with it. Very disappointing. Not worth the money.

Asian 8% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab