Poughkeepsie, NY

Posted September 28, 2014
This is a wonderful school. My children have attended both public and private schools and this is by far the best school. The teachers are engaged and caring. The curriculum is relevant and challenging. The students are helpful to each other and it is not cool to be a bully or elite. The sports are team oriented and everyone gets to participate. Arts and music are encouraged and very supported. The college guidance is excellent and the students et into very good schools. The school helps each student find their strengths and work on areas they need to improve upon. This is a special place.

Posted April 17, 2011
Our two kids enrolled at PDS in 9th and 6th grade respectively. We're in our second year now, our only regret is we didn't discover PDS earlier. The kids are thriving, the faculty are wonderful, the culture and values of the school are nurturing. PDS is a well-kept secret. Famlies that want a first rate progressive education for their kids should definitely check it out.

Posted March 04, 2011
After I attended the information session, I knew I would feel guilty sending my child to any other school. Sensitive and caring teachers who go out of their way to assist students. There is no "grade envy" because there are no grades. Each teacher prepares a written narrative twice per year about each child's progress. This about learning and learning to love learning. Music, drama, art, Spanish all begin in the lower school. More frequent physical education classes than in the public schools. This is a community of learners dedicated to quality education. The After School Program is wonderful and there is no charge for before school care. The Food Program is amazing - fresh, local foods and always a vegetarian entre. No junk food! Yes, PDS is is expensive but worth it. And if qualified, a family may receive financial aid.

Posted August 27, 2010
My two children have attended Poughkeepsie Day School since pre-K and are currently going into 3rd and 5th grade. I placed them into PDS because I wanted them to learn how to think independently and nurture a love of learning. I have not been disappointed. My children love each and every day of school. It's summer and they are counting down each day until school starts. Excellent teachers offering a challenging education and wonderful administrative and parent community.

Posted June 06, 2010
I have a child in the lower school. He has truly blossomed in the 2 years that he has attended. I truly believe the caring teachers, wonderful resources, and low student to teacher ratio helped foster his love of school and learning. To those contemplating sending their children to this school, take a visit. Notice all the smiling faces walking through the halls, and engaged children in the classroom. That sold me.

Poughkeepsie Day School 0

Posted April 29, 2010
A school true to its mission, challenging every student academically, creatively, while preparing them for the future of critical thinking!

Posted February 18, 2010
My two children went through the lower school and are both now in the middle school. I feel lucky every day to be part of the PDS community. I love how the children are not pressured to do well for the teacher, but instead to strive to reach a goal for him/herself. Having said this, the teachers share in the joy and pride of their students' many accomplishments. Kids are actively engaged as learners in each class and every grade. I am in awe of how the PDS administrators and teachers stick to the wonderful progressive philosophy, while creating an exciting and challenging academic program. PDS students are confident, incredibly smart, sensitive, creative, thinking people who know how to solve problems independently and in groups. Teachers are caring, highly intelligent and inspired. A sense of respect reigns throughout PDS. A very special school!

Posted December 19, 2009

Posted December 19, 2009

Posted November 05, 2009

Poughkeepsie Day School
260 Boardman Road, Poughkeepsie, NY  12603
Last modified Poughkeepsie Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Poughkeepsie Day School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top