Poughkeepsie, NY

Posted September 28, 2014
This is a wonderful school. My children have attended both public and private schools and this is by far the best school. The teachers are engaged and caring. The curriculum is relevant and challenging. The students are helpful to each other and it is not cool to be a bully or elite. The sports are team oriented and everyone gets to participate. Arts and music are encouraged and very supported. The college guidance is excellent and the students et into very good schools. The school helps each student find their strengths and work on areas they need to improve upon. This is a special place.

Posted April 17, 2011
Our two kids enrolled at PDS in 9th and 6th grade respectively. We're in our second year now, our only regret is we didn't discover PDS earlier. The kids are thriving, the faculty are wonderful, the culture and values of the school are nurturing. PDS is a well-kept secret. Famlies that want a first rate progressive education for their kids should definitely check it out.

Posted March 04, 2011
After I attended the information session, I knew I would feel guilty sending my child to any other school. Sensitive and caring teachers who go out of their way to assist students. There is no "grade envy" because there are no grades. Each teacher prepares a written narrative twice per year about each child's progress. This about learning and learning to love learning. Music, drama, art, Spanish all begin in the lower school. More frequent physical education classes than in the public schools. This is a community of learners dedicated to quality education. The After School Program is wonderful and there is no charge for before school care. The Food Program is amazing - fresh, local foods and always a vegetarian entre. No junk food! Yes, PDS is is expensive but worth it. And if qualified, a family may receive financial aid.

Posted August 27, 2010
My two children have attended Poughkeepsie Day School since pre-K and are currently going into 3rd and 5th grade. I placed them into PDS because I wanted them to learn how to think independently and nurture a love of learning. I have not been disappointed. My children love each and every day of school. It's summer and they are counting down each day until school starts. Excellent teachers offering a challenging education and wonderful administrative and parent community.

Posted June 06, 2010
I have a child in the lower school. He has truly blossomed in the 2 years that he has attended. I truly believe the caring teachers, wonderful resources, and low student to teacher ratio helped foster his love of school and learning. To those contemplating sending their children to this school, take a visit. Notice all the smiling faces walking through the halls, and engaged children in the classroom. That sold me.

Posted April 29, 2010
A school true to its mission, challenging every student academically, creatively, while preparing them for the future of critical thinking!

Posted February 18, 2010
My two children went through the lower school and are both now in the middle school. I feel lucky every day to be part of the PDS community. I love how the children are not pressured to do well for the teacher, but instead to strive to reach a goal for him/herself. Having said this, the teachers share in the joy and pride of their students' many accomplishments. Kids are actively engaged as learners in each class and every grade. I am in awe of how the PDS administrators and teachers stick to the wonderful progressive philosophy, while creating an exciting and challenging academic program. PDS students are confident, incredibly smart, sensitive, creative, thinking people who know how to solve problems independently and in groups. Teachers are caring, highly intelligent and inspired. A sense of respect reigns throughout PDS. A very special school!

Posted October 28, 2009
We decided to make the switch from our local and highly ranked public school to PDS after an amazing visit to the school . We have 2 children (Lower School and Middle School) and it is our 3rd year at PDS. I don't think I truly understood what my kids were missing in their education until they started PDS. My children are completely different learners and teachers and staff at PDS understand how to maximize the learning of every child in the class room. My son especially loves the music program, the cooperative PE program and challenging math problems. My daughter thrives with a rich humanities curriculum, early exposure to foreign language and hands on science. An excellent balanced curriculum. Coming from a European educational background myself, I am very pleased with the global and top notch education both my children get at PDS. A visit is a must!

Posted April 02, 2009
I have never been happier or more enthused in my life, to wake up at an ungodly hour to go learn. When I read some of these negative reviews, I only wish those students and parents were better cut out for this school. Some people aren't exactly meant to be in a more academically advanced, progressive school and I believe this is what lead to their negative experiences. I've never been so respected, cherished, or listened to in my entire life. It's a horrid mistake to miss out on the community and upper school arts department. This school is well worth the money.

Posted March 18, 2009
Poughkeepsie Day School has been great for my daughter, who is in 2nd grade and transferred in from another private school. She looks forward to going to school and has come to love math, which used to be a difficult subject for her. The teachers engage the children by making classwork interesting and relevant. The field trips are tied directly to the curriculum and build on a theme. So they re also learning about the world beyond the classroom walls. The art, music, and drama teachers are outstanding. There is a climate of mutual respect among students and teachers. Ethics are stressed. I have been active in the parent organization and made many good friends. I have gotten to know parents of older students who have told me that PDS has been life-changing for their kids. The high school reminds me of a small college.

260 Boardman Road, Poughkeepsie, NY  12603
Last modified Poughkeepsie Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Poughkeepsie Day School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top