Poughquag, NY

Posted June 27, 2013
My children both go to Beekman. The teachers are on their A game! Each classroom is its own awesome. The first year my son attended there was a count down to the last two weeks of school everyday was a fun day. There are always flyers coming home for activities set up by the PTA or town events. There is a reading month where the children receive a prize at the end of every week. The principal is very involved in all the activities. The social worker and school psychologists are involved with the student activities. They have a special relationship with all students as should be incase any situation arises they can jump in to help. The school is a united front. Everyone helps for big events, for the arrival of the children in the morning, and dismissal. Its a small school but quaint. The atmosphere was an excellent change from the schools in the 5 boroughs where sometimes teachers don't realize what they say in front of their students. Even after my children moved on to their new grades their teachers from last year would tell me how proud they are of them when they see them walking quietly with their new class and always ask how is the year going etc.

Beekman School 2

Posted February 20, 2013
My daughter is currently attending this school for fifth grade after attending a private school for all her previous school years. Currently, we have noticed she loves being able to have more friends and the social aspect of school but the teachers do not challenge her, push her, or motivate her. Her teacher does not contact us if there are any problems which come about such as slipping grades, being distracted or anything like this. The curriculum is rampant with liberalism instead of a balanced approach, (we already knew this as we are in New York,) as well as some of the faculty displaying this behavior to the children. One incident was that I brought my daughter a treat type of lunch which she only gets so often, with it was a kids size soda. The principle decided my daughter was not allowed to have this soda because he does not want the kids consuming soda on his school property. I was not informed of this when I dropped off her lunch and left. I did not find out until my daughter told me when she arrived home. I was lucky I provided her with an apple juice before school, otherwise she would not have had a drink.

Beekman School 1

Posted October 01, 2009
My children are in their last years at Beekman Elementary and I have not been as impressed with this school as others. I have found that the teachers run the school, not the principal. They are allowed to conduct themselves in a manner that is not appropriate to children of any age (yelling, threatening, disrespectful). The principal is nice, but a pushover. She does not have any control over the teachers. I'm also disappointed in the learning center. Even thought my children went their during school hours, I still had to pay for a tutor over the summer. The tutor accomplished more in three months they the learning center did in 9 months.

Beekman School 0

Posted August 11, 2009
This is the best School! I was very very fortunate to have my girls ls in this schhol! Thank you all The Anderson family ps. We will miss you!

Posted February 21, 2009
Wonderful caring people. Great school

Posted January 13, 2008

Beekman School
201 Lime Ridge Road, Poughquag, NY  12570
Last modified Beekman School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Beekman School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top