New York City Academy For Discovery 1

Posted June 13, 2014
My kids are doing excellent despite this school being below average. The teachers do NOT check my kids homework. Other students check it and whatever the teachers "review" only has check marks on top. There are no corrections or any other indication that the work was actually read by the teacher. I have two kids in the school and this has happened with several of their teachers. Last year, most of the kids in my son's class stopped doing the homework because the homework was never checked. After a complaint, the teacher is now teaching the fourth grade class. Later, I learned that Parent Helpers place the check marks on the homework and noting that it was done. The school crammed way too many Common Core concepts in during the month before the test. My kids knew the stuff before because I work with them but I felt badly for other kids because there was way too much new material. Since the test, based on the homework, I don't feel like they are being taught rather the teachers are giving homework for the sake of give homework and waiting for the school year to conclude. It's no wonder that the test scores are so low. Moving my kids to another school next year.

New York City Academy For Discovery 4

Posted June 27, 2012
My son just graduated from kindergarten. I love the teachers in this school. So far he has had two excellent teachers for pre-k and kindergarten. I dislike the office staff. They are rude and not helpful at all. And they are popular for sending out late notices with events and/or days off. As long as you can deal with a snobby office I would receommend this school.

New York City Academy For Discovery
95-16 89th Avenue, Queens, NY  11421
Last modified New York City Academy For Discovery is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
New York City Academy For Discovery Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 2 reviews. Top