Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

In my experience so far, the VOICE staff and teachers have been incredibly responsive. We are wrapping up our first year at VOICE with my kindergartner; every morning, my son is happy to go to school, and he runs in the door every morning with a smile on his face. VOICE has reinforced his love of learning, and music is giving him a creative and energetic outlet in a time when so few other schools are able to offer it. My other son is in pre-K at a nearby public school, and I see a difference in how staff and teachers interact with students at the two schools, and it makes me happy and grateful that we have the privilege of being a VOICE family.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Most of these teachers would qualify as apprentice teachers. They are getting paid a decent salary and have little or no clue what they are doing? Should we be complacent in having our kids used as test subjects to have them hone their craft? Would they do this in wealthier areas?

Develops character: Disagree

No, because half the time teachers aren't paying attention to students. There inexperience shows especially when dealing with students with behavioral problems. Its nice to want teachers to "treat students with kindness and care" on paper, but observations during recess doesn't align with paper goals.

There are many things wrong with this school. First and foremost safety. Anyone can buzz the doorbell and enter the school, there is no security guard posted at the door to validate identification at most school. Second, they are completely unorganized. They have no regard for time, and they don't get back to you in a timely fashion.Third, the majority of teachers are highly inexperienced and because music is utilized is this supposed to up the perception of the school? Fourth, where is the ethnic diversity among the administrative staff, and majority of teachers? This is a school primarily based in a low income area so how does the British speaking administrator or the predominantly white staff relate to their students? Which is one of the complaints of students they can't relate to their teachers, if more than 80% of the students are minorities why is the majority of the administrative and overall faculty white?Lastly, reviews from a 2014 article in a NY newspaper isn't enough. It's 2016, someone needs to conduct an "undercover investigative assignment" to see the flaws of this school. I was appalled to hear a white administrative say "whats up dog!" Lastly, students are always in the office for some reason or the other, and no one acknowledges them until other students from their class are sent to get them. Voice looks better on paper than in person, wake up parents, our children deserve the best!

And I have been at voice since my child was in kindergarten she's in 5th Grade now it is very strict school and the day is long the children do get used to the school provides them with the strongest academic that they need to to be accomplished for middle school that is their gear there's a lot of schools out here that don't do that you can keep up with your child's work by contacting the teacher they are constantly there for information if you need it the principles are accessible when you need it if a children has difficulty with my child did in the beginning they put her in intervention classes to help her progressed they offer tutoring in the summer and Saturdays if I wanted it was my choice it was not forced upon me the offer lots of trips for the children that are very culturally geared and geared towards the work they do in the class I find a school better than my zone school and I'm very happy with what they do

I wish I had better news to report because I do not like to leave bad reviews but this school is very bad. They cling though test scores but they force children who do not meet their standards out by making the parent's life miserable! They call you consistently and require that parents send their children to after school tutoring programs after getting out of school at 4:30!! The days are long for these children already not to mention the school requiring all of this extra tutoring just so that the school can look good on paper. It's pretty terrible and I would caution anyone who is looking into this school to turn and walk away.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Young, inexperienced teachers with no training on special needs. They only know the VOICE school way and that way ,in my opinion, is misguided.

Develops character: Neutral

I think it encourages cheating on some level because the stress to maintain high grades is so high.

Love this school! The staff is young and energetic who genuinely care for all the students. The principle can be strict but very loving towards his staff and students. My son started in kindergarten and now he's in first and plan on continuing his academic career at Voice.

My son attended VOICE from Kindergarten to Third grade. We definetly stayed two years too long. Before I get into my issues, I want to say that my child always came home happy and always looked forward to going to VOICE. They are very safe, and treat all kids equally and do not tolerate bullying. Kindergarten and half of 1st grade were great; however, the school did not live up to its mission statement. My son struggled in writing and they did absolutely nothing for him. In the 4 years at VOICE, I only saw 1 test because I demanded it. And to see that test I had to go in during business hours and sit in front of the asst principal and then hand her back the test (so I wouldn't steal this 2nd grade test or something) Below is my feedback: 1. Lack of communication: I was left in absolute darkness except when it came time to review the report card twice a year. There were no notebooks, exams, results or progress notes. 2. The school is extremely strict and has dozens of inexperienced frightened staff. They lack empathy for the parents and have a response already prepared before they hear you speak. 3. In 2nd grade around April my son got a notice stating if he didn't go to summer school he could not return. They use intimidation tactics that are tacky and premature. I asked them how can to u assume that he will not improve in 2 more months? They didn't seem to care. 4. Never got tests, but got reminders to pay the lunch bill timely. If only they put more effort into communicating with the parents about actual academics. Overall, the school was ok, not as good academically as I would have hoped. I am concerned that my child will be behind when he starts 4th grade in another school.

Last modified Voice Charter School of New York is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.