Public charter
Queens, NY

Posted October 21, 2014
I'm greatly concerned with the direction of this school. Recently the school had an assembly for third grade and only one third grade class performed. Now it's a lot of individuals walking around with PHDs at REACS but none of them thought that only having one third grade class perform was unfair to the other third grade class. No one thought to combine the two grades and let them present together? That is just a minor issue compared to the REAL problems. I have been shaded by Dr. Richardson too many times. She is not polite at all nor genuine. Her presence is not warming. In fact, the entire administrative staff is unprofessional. Mrs. Muniz and Ms. Melissa are the main two that are extremely disrespectful. What I love most about the school are the teachers. In my child's old school, the teachers just didn't care. However, the teachers at REACS really give all they have to the students. It shows in the homework they send home and the school work. The space is a huge problem as well. The kids don't have a decent gym or cafeteria. You have some classes that have smartboards and some that don't. How is that fair? I think a major shift needs to happen with space and administration.

Posted October 20, 2014
Let me start off by addressing the head. Dr. Lena Richardson, this woman is confusing to me. I went to her regarding an issue with my child not having access to resources that we were promised a long time ago and she speaks to you as if you're a child and like she is always in a rush. She gives off a very snobby attitude and I have witnessed her talk to teachers in a VERY DISRESPECTFUL WAY. She is suppose to be an example but yet she is so openly rude. The assistant principal is pointless because when ever he is asked anything he gives a half answer and always say he needs to check with Dr. Richardson and that's as far as it goes with him. The administrative staff, Ms. Graham and Ms. Muniz are RUDE. They are so aggressive and ugly when they speak. It's absolutely horrible. My child speaks on how some of the volunteers yells at them as well when being served lunch. There are two buildings and although both buildings are not suited to be a school, the annex building looks and smell like a dumping ground. The teachers and the rigorous materials are excellent. There is no gym, no cafeteria, no access to computers, need I say more? Administration needs to change or be replaced.

Posted September 30, 2014
Frustrating is the only word that comes to mind when I think of REACS! This is my child second year at this school and I was extremely excited when we were accepted and started this school but as time goes on I want to pull my child out of this school! They moved the lower grades to another building blocks away which we were notified the night before! No one give you answers the staff has so much attitude ALL the time! Classes are being held in the sanctuary. A flood happened so 1st grade had to be redirected to the main building. The principle loves to talk but she talks about nothing and addresses us parents as if we are children! I could go on and on . The only positive thing I must say is that the teachers they do have are fantastic! I am definitely looking into other schools and will be pulling my child out! I DO NOT recommend this school

Posted September 10, 2014
This school is a MESS! They have moved the lower grades into a new building that is not fit to be a school. The students and staff share a restroom, there is a classroom taking place in a church sanctuary hidden behind a mobile wall and the students have no gym or recess space. The curriculum is rigorous however I don't feel my child is allotted the resources to succeed in this school. The classroom sizes are continuing to grow with 21+ students in a room. I brought my child to this school thinking it would be different from public school however it is just the same if not worse than some. I sound very angry because I brought my child to this school under false pretenses. I am definitely taking my child out of this school! I would not recommend anyone bring their child to this school!

Rochdale Early Advantage Charter School 4

Posted May 15, 2014
I love this school and so does my child.The teachers and staff truly care about the students.There's a lot of emphasis on academics and a challenging curriculum.There are ELA and math intervention programs for struggling kids.There's a Saturday academy to help prepare kids for state exams.They also have lots of fun and educational trips,activities and special events throughout the year.The PTO also hosts lots of fun activities for the families. Yes,there is room for improvement:the space is limited,there is a need for a dedicated gym area,a library,a nice playground.Also missing is a year-round music program,an arts program,and extra curricular activities.I also hope they make the decision to offer at least up to eighth grade. However, I understand that their budget is limited,just like the rest of NYC schools. Each year they make a point to bring something new to the table.The school board is actively working on finding a larger space,which should take care of most or all of these issues.I would highly recommend this school to any parent who is looking for a quality education for their child.The school has lots of good qualities and will only get better with time. .

Posted October 13, 2013
This school is going down down down down DOWN!!! When this school first started I was excited, my child was excited. My child was being challenged and was given enriched material. However, something is happening in this school and it's BAD! Trust me if you seek confirmation from other parents they will tell you the same. I noticed that my child's class is getting larger and LARGER. Charter schools offer a smaller setting and even REACS website states that the class setting is maximum 17, but in my child's class it's 20 plus. The administrative staff is so rude and unprofessional; the teachers are actually friendly but that's the only positive thing I can say. I didn't think my child would be stuffed in this cramped building this long which by the way is also a church. I want my child to have a REAL GYM, a REAL AUDITORIUM, a REAL CAFETERIA, a REAL COMPUTER ROOM! Each room should have a smart board. I am in the process of removing my child from this school and I advise potential parents to do the same or just don't even step foot in this building! TRUST ME! I am disappointed.

Posted October 13, 2013
This school is falling apart :( I was once excited about this school but it's not what it use to be. The dynamics have definitely changed. This school has so many kids cramped up in such a small space that I fear for my child's safety God forbid they need to exit quickly. The classes are just too large. The career technology program is BS, The Mandarin Class is BS, Mandarin is more of a top priority than Spanish or French? Seriously, my child is more likely to be placed in an environment of more Spanish speaking people than mandarin; dumb choice! Something is off about the majority of the administrative staff, stiff and unprofessional. This is my child's second year here and last year, hopefully last month! So basically the underlying message I will leave for you parents who are looking to enroll your child or have a child in the school and questioning your choice: RUN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN, THIS SCHOOL WILL SINK FASTER THAN THE TITANIC!

Rochdale Early Advantage Charter School 3

Posted October 09, 2013
This school pushes academics a little too much. There should be more fun activities such as music, art, dance and teams just for fun, not necessarily to perform just for a special program. The children need to be children and have some fun. Academics should be the number one priority but not at the expense of the children becoming robots. Having a real school building with a real playground would be nice but seems a lifetime away. I was a huge fan of this school but not so much any more. I am not so quick to recommend this school anymore. Unfortunately all the rumors that I have been hearing are coming true which is very disappointing for me.. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the reputation of the school begin to go down. Hopefully for the children's sake it does not. Academics is not the only part of the human being. Building character, learning how to socialize in different environments, etc is also a part of growing up. Hopefully there will be some changes this year for the better.

Rochdale Early Advantage Charter School 5

Posted September 26, 2012
I love this school. My son started the 2nd grade this year and has been in the school since it opened. The teachers are great and the fact that the classes are small is a big plus. I've been involved with the PTO and fundraising. I would love it if the school board could find a way to extend the grades through high school. My only complaint would be that not enough patents show up for PTO meetings. Overall my family loves this school!!!

Rochdale Early Advantage Charter School
122-05 Smith Street, Queens, NY  11434
Last modified Rochdale Early Advantage Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rochdale Early Advantage Charter School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top