Queens, NY
After care: No

Posted May 03, 2015
I m currently an 8th grader here at M.E.L.S. the teachers for the most part are kind and supportive. The only drawback to the school is that the school system is very unorganized, and that most of our experienced teachers have left. With multiple authorities here at M.E.L.S there is no collaboration between the staff, teachers and students. Their is no collaboration of decisions, because one person may approve and others may not.There is not much collaboration between some staff and students. Often times, if a students suggests a change in the curriculum, the staff would not even consider the change. Also, with this new curriculum, the school is different from traditional schools. For some, this is good because students can learn through hands on work, and since this is a small school, students can go to many of their teachers for advice. However, for some this is not good because this can be frustrating for students and parents because students are not sure what to do and can be overwhelmed. And, for parents they must be confused about what the students are doing and M.E.L.S is not so big on one-on-one conversations parents.

Posted April 30, 2014
Exceptional teachers who care about the students, my son couldn't be happier with both the school curriculum and all of his teachers. After school program are well rounded for all. Can't leave out the extra help when needed the teachers are always there for the kids. I'm hoping my youngest child gets the opportunity to attend as well.

Posted April 29, 2014
Exceptional. Teachers who actually care, who spend their time well beyond their UFT contract to make a difference for our children; Principals who are 100% invested in the successful realization of our school's mission -- to empower student to take action to maintain and create sustainable systems within their neighborhood, community, city, state, country, and world. High academic expectations. A place where everyone knows your name. The teach to the whole person. Can you tell how much I love this school. My daughter came from a high performing elementary school. At MELS, learning seems to be easier, and guess what? Her state scores have sky-rocketed! The program suits her learning style and our fingers are crossed that our younger child will get in when it's time. I wish there was more to the acceptance process for the high school entrance point. But other than that, this new school is thriving and learning.

Posted April 29, 2014
My daughter loves this school. It has exposed her to lots of different areas that I believe she would not find in other public schools like boat building, newspaper and the speech team.This school has kept her interested in learning. I think she would be bored in a traditional school.

Posted April 29, 2014
A wonderful and dedicated Faculty and co-principals, who work very hard to provide all the MELS students an enriching education. Students seem to always be happy and know that they can speak with any of the teachers for guidance. We are fortunate to have a wonderful school in Forest Hills. MELS is an exceptional school! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! THANK YOU!

Posted April 21, 2014
MELS is a very progressive school where the kids learn to think out of the box and get challenged in a way I have never seen before. I am proud to be a parent of a child who is thriving in this environment.

Posted August 29, 2013
MELS is a great school, it doesn't just teach our kids academic values but also teaches how our kids should respect others. It's like a big family.

Posted June 30, 2013
I am so grateful that this school is in our neighborhood. Going into it's 4th year and growing, the thing that amazes me most as a parent is the school's ability to teach our children a rigorous education, and yet it doesn't feel oppressive. Our elementary school was so tough, so unreasonably tough. It judged success based on how much homework was given. Here, it's based on what the children are actually learning. It's an environment that encourages a love of learning. My daughter is thriving. The principals are strict, but compassionate. And they are committed to building a challenging learning program. I honestly think it's a culture shock for some people that the learning is so easy because of the style -- not because it isn't demanding. If you judge a school by how much homework they get, or how burned out your children are by the end of the day, then this school isn't for you. If you judge the quality of a school by how much your child is actually learning and retaining, then MELS is tops! Thank you, thank you, MELS. You have changed my child's life!

Posted April 20, 2013
I can't stand this school. It was a bad idea to stay here. They really need to start offering honors classes because it is not fair how we are all taught at the same level. I need to be challenged and can't wait to take AP. Besides academics, which overall are okay-ish, MELS really isn't a high school. I am so bored here and am thinking about transferring for the Fall. This school is so conservative and predictable and any little thing bothers anyone in authority. MELS, get your stuff together.

Posted June 17, 2012
I attend this school, and am opting out of the 9th grade. The curriculum is not challenging, and certain topics are taught at such a surface level, that my parents felt I needed to have private tutoring to ensure that my academic skills remain on track. They've also admitted some relatively weak students for the 9th grade. I know one who has poor scores on the standardized tests and really bad attendance (he's been late over 25 times this year and absent a lot) - if this was the best applicant the school could admit, I don't feel the need to retun in the fall.

Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School
91-30 Metropolitan Avenue, Queens, NY  11374
Last modified Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School is a Public school that serves grades 6-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top