Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted March 05, 2016
I'm currently a 6th grader here and I have been loving it!Although learning is way easier,I've learned so much!The teachers care very much and leave no child behind.Everyone knows your name and students develop and very strong student-teacher relationship.Students would become best friends with teachers,principles and staff.Students are very respectful. There is little to no bullying and the reason there is not much punishment is because we are taught what's right through calmly talking.And it works! A main goal is to build strong bonds between student and that also works. Every time you think kids are fighting or bullying,it's all joking around,I promise.We have Crew as well,which teaches our core values and howls.We have lots of fun and I wish I could relive every moment.My aunt went to this school before me,told me all about it,I got accepted,and lived what she told me,except it was better.There is much more I could explain,like Community Meeting,the Hotchkiss trip 6th graders can now go on,Crew Orientation,and much,much more.But you'd have to be there to know.So I strongly recommend applying to this school,and getting accepted would be a blessing.

Posted November 18, 2015
Exceptional. Teachers who actually care, who spend their time well beyond their UFT contract to make a difference for our children; Principals who are 100% invested in the successful realization of our school's mission -- to empower student to take action to maintain and create sustainable systems within their neighborhood, community, city, state, country, and world. High academic expectations. A place where everyone knows your name. The teach to the whole person. Can you tell how much I love this school. My daughter came from a high performing elementary school. At MELS, learning seems to be easier, and guess what? Her state scores have sky-rocketed! The program suits her learning style and our fingers are crossed that our younger child will get in when it's time. I wish there was more to the acceptance process for the high school entrance point. But other than that, this new school is thriving and learning.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 18, 2015
My daughter attended this school for 6-8 and had the most amazing teachers. In particular -- Ms. Zaino -- my daughter still talks about her and she has left a lasting impression as to what a completely devoted teacher looks like. Thanks Ms. Zaino!

Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School 1

Posted October 25, 2015
This school is run terribly. There is basically no real discipline code set up. Clear expectations and consequences are not known by students and so there is constant chaos in the hallways, lunchroom, and in class. Bullies are not dealt with sternly and the teachers never have to answer to the parents for ANYTHING, because WHATEVER they do is supported 100% by the principals.. The level of education in this school is below other middle schools, especially in math....so much time is wasted daily on time where children are supposed to "explore" which really means... The teacher doesn't help at all! There are NO textbooks so it's impossible to monitor what your child is even learning in math!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 25, 2015
There are a few teachers in the school that work very hard, but many of them have no grasp on the classes based on the school's overall wild atmosphere in general which takes away from the learning.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted October 25, 2015
There is no real discipline code in this school! The students show NO respect to ANYONE!

Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School 4

Posted September 27, 2015
My child just started MELS and I'm generally pleased thus far. She seems to be loving her experience and hopefully this will lead to a love of learning. That being said, I find that things can be disorganized. I think I must have emailed the parent coordinator 3-4 times asking the same question and still, I have received no response. They will contact you when they have something to communicate, but you can twiddle your thumbs when you do.

Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School 2

Posted May 03, 2015
I m currently an 8th grader here at M.E.L.S. the teachers for the most part are kind and supportive. The only drawback to the school is that the school system is very unorganized, and that most of our experienced teachers have left. With multiple authorities here at M.E.L.S there is no collaboration between the staff, teachers and students. Their is no collaboration of decisions, because one person may approve and others may not.There is not much collaboration between some staff and students. Often times, if a students suggests a change in the curriculum, the staff would not even consider the change. Also, with this new curriculum, the school is different from traditional schools. For some, this is good because students can learn through hands on work, and since this is a small school, students can go to many of their teachers for advice. However, for some this is not good because this can be frustrating for students and parents because students are not sure what to do and can be overwhelmed. And, for parents they must be confused about what the students are doing and M.E.L.S is not so big on one-on-one conversations parents.

Posted April 30, 2014
Exceptional teachers who care about the students, my son couldn't be happier with both the school curriculum and all of his teachers. After school program are well rounded for all. Can't leave out the extra help when needed the teachers are always there for the kids. I'm hoping my youngest child gets the opportunity to attend as well.

Posted April 29, 2014
My daughter loves this school. It has exposed her to lots of different areas that I believe she would not find in other public schools like boat building, newspaper and the speech team.This school has kept her interested in learning. I think she would be bored in a traditional school.

89-30 Metropolitan Avenue, Queens, NY  11374
Last modified Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School is a Public school that serves grades 6-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.