Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

PS 17 is a warm, caring and diverse community school where the teachers, asst. principals and principal know all of the children's names and strive to address each child's needs. The many programs at this school include dual language, music, theater class, art... The school is well maintained, clean and always welcoming. Activities for children and parents are coordinated by a hardworking and friendly parent coordinator and PTA and include Fall Festival, Culture Day, Spelling Bee, Science Fair and many more. Most importantly my child is happy and thriving at PS 17.

My daughter loves her school, the Principal, teachers, Parent's coordinator, are very supportive and provide the kids with a warm and friendly environment, but at the same time they learn discipline and respect. They have good programs such as the Dual language and Girl Scouts.

The school have improved so much in the last year. Many activities, programs and projects with the children. Dual Language Program is a great way to teach our children Spanish and English at the same academic level, giving the students an opportunity to be not only bilingual but biliterate and bicultural. Principal very friendly and caring about parent's opinions and always looking for new ways to help the students.

The School is clean and friendly, the teacher of my son is good teacher(Ms. Antonio). The new Principal is doing a good Job. They do a lot of activities with the parents. They have me inform of everything

Wonderful people, great teacher!! so happy my princess go to this school. Dual Language Program is excellent and provides so much confident to the kids knowing Spanish and English at the same level. Way to go!!

esta escuela le ha dado una oportunidad de aprendisaje a mi hija ahora tienen un programa piloto de ensenar espanol alos ninos que sus padre esten de acuerdo con el mismo definitivamente la escuela esta superandose bastante solo nesecitamos que los padres esten mas enbolucrado en este y todos los proyecto venidero gracias.

Im a former student from 2005-2010 I'm in high-school now and have a bright future. All the teachers are understanding and supportive . All my friends went to this school here. And I've met some amazing and inspiring people here as well. Though some kids aren't as respectful towers others we still get along. This school only needs one improvment not kids and more classrooms to ensure more healthier and brighter kids.

My family have been in this school for 3 years. We were hoping the new principal would bring positive change. I agree with others that the environment is more welcoming to discussions. But bullying is a problem. My son is constantly bullied and I have talked to many adults in the school about it. But I dont think the kids are punished because it is still happening and now he doesn't want to go to school. He cries at night when he comes home. School should be a happy place, not a place you don't want to go to.

The work environment is very pleasant and we collaborate with each other. The administration is VERY supportive of initiatives that the staff take on. It is a pleasure to be a part of this team and I am sure this school is on the path to an amazing growth that will be beneficial to all students. In spite of all the difficulties presented by the system in general (like budget cuts and hiring restrictions), the school maintains its vision.

I would like to let people know that all the reviews of PS17 from 2012 and before that were from when the old principal was in office. This school year (2012-2013) started with a new principal who, working together with the entire school community, has truly taken steps to bring our school to an amazing place! Spirits and morale have lifted in our school again. PS17 is a welcoming school with a new open door policy! Please don't let the older reviews scare you! We are beginning a Dual Language Program in September 2013 which is going to enrich our students. We have awesome teachers, caring administrators and a new sense of school community! Our kids will very much benefit from attending this school-my daughter loves it here again. She gets to go outside for recess and gets to participate in great assemblies. Music and art is making a big comeback! I couldn't be more proud of my child's school-PS17!

Last modified Ps 17 Henry David Thoreau is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.