Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My granddaughter has gone to this school since Kindergarten in one of the two gifted and talented classes. She is now in the third grade and has excellent teachers and a safe school. No one would get by the guard at the entrance. I seen the classes and the work being done there and as a former teacher who only attended private schools, my granddaughter is getting a better education in this great public school.

I've read some of the reviews and I find them ludicrous. The staff from the janitor to the principal are nothing but helpful. Our principal goes above and beyond her duty to help us. We are always informed of what happening with our children, she is includes all our cultures during our special holidays, she is the only principal I know that stands outside in 16 degree weather to greet the children in the morning, who does that anymore??? Her doors are always open for parents with questions or comments. So no, our principal isn't rude and is not over her head. She had been here 15 months and in those months she has inproved our school for the better. So Mrs Careddu, Thank You and not all parents feel the way the parents below do.

Develops character: Agree

Absolutely, every month there is a different characteristic chosen and the children are thought about it.

This is one of the greatest NYC public schools, especially when compared to the deteriorating schools around the area. My child loves going to the school and enjoys the school events held. The Diwali festival was great and I applaud the school for celebrating a South Asian holiday. The principal, however, is extremely rude and seems to be in over her head.

My son has been going to this school from Kindergarten (GT Program) and had a good experience in the beginning years, however since the principal has changed, the school has deteriorated in every sense. Firstly the new principal lacks the subject knowledge and the know how of how to talk to parents; she is rude, abrupt and doesn't find mitigating solutions to issues, rather gets confrontational. The GT program has deteriorated and only one teacher deserves to be named a GT teacher and I believe everyone knows who he is ;) The classes are overloaded and the principal doesn't care much about it when spoken to, in addition she doesn't even know the difference between a GT and a regular program, she is not experienced and I will try to avoid sending your child to this school.

My daughter started the G&T Kindergarten this year. Her teacher is very nice. But I don't find the homework to be too much or too difficult. (High expectations?) My friends who have their kids in G&T at PS115 tell me they have so much homework every night. I'm also not too happy with the Parent Coordinator. I guess maybe I was spoiled by my daughter's previous school's Parent Coordinator who answered her emails & voice mails right away in a nice pleasant way. I've been ignored and had to contact the Asst. principal instead. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say my email went to spam? When I did finally get her on the phone, she was very abrupt & lacked phone skills. I felt like I was taking up her time & couldn't wait to get me off the phone. She didn't identify herself so maybe it wasn't her but I called her extension directly so who knows. From the beginning, It hasn't been a smooth transition. I really want to give it a chance but it has not been a welcoming experience. I'm going to try and make the best of the rest of the school year. I think my daughter will equally thrive with our zone school so perhaps we will not continue next year.

My child is in first grade and has been attending this school since Pre-K. We have a new Principal since our last one has retired but the transition was smooth. She is very active and encourages parent involvement. The curriculum is solid. The school offers many fun events throughout the year which makes school fun for the kids. The teachers are dedicated, the security guard knows each child and is very protective about the students safety. You can't roam around the school or pass the lobby without strict protocol which is reassuring to the parents that their kids are safe. My child comes home with a nice amount of homework and is learning topics I find are fairly challenging. The school not only offers monthly events for families to attend but it also offers after school programs, tutoring, and very affordable violin lessons, French lessons and chess lessons. In all I am very pleased and happy my child attends this great school!

No frill school. Just a simple safe school where children come to learn. My son is in the G&T class and I am very please with his progress. He has a wonderful teacher and a full time teacher's aide with an additional student teacher. That is a total of 3 teachers for 32 kids. Most NYC schools only have one teacher for 32 kids. My son's teacher makes learning fun and interesting. I hope his teacher next year will be just as nice and fun as Mrs Lau.

I am wondering this school student progress is "F", I would like to know how the school leader will improve it?

My son recently started Kindergarten here. The teachers, principal and the school staff is extremely nice and helpful. He loves it and the school environment is safe. The school welcomes parent involvement and the PTA is very active. My son's teacher kept my son interested by challenging him in academics. His reading and math level has progressed a lot. I look forward to send my younger son here too.

Last modified Ps 18 Winchester is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.