Bad
Good

This school is horrible. My daughter has been in this school for 5 years since kindergarten and it has gotten worse every year. Bullying in this school is out of control and staff that either can't control or don't care to stop. My kid has had to learn to defend herself and has changed dramatically in past few years. Schools answer is to send her to guidance counselor to sing songs. Now with 1 year to go I need to move her to another school for her safety.

It is great what they are doing with the children building confidence, encouragement and motivation. Cool School....... :)

PS 45 is a great school. My three kids have been here since kindergarten. THe school has improved a bunch over the past few years. I don;t know what school the previous person commented about but PS45 celebrates lots of things. There are dance performances. music shows and I just went to a really nice art show last month that my kids had art in. It was such a nice event. And I talked with the PTA and learned that the test scores have gone up with Principal Severin. There was a trip that the kids went to go meet some Queens politicians I wanted my son to go but it was too late to ask permission. But I was still happy that the youth from our community is getting out there and seeing more of the world than just their neighborhood.

My daughter has been in this school since first grade. The older principal Ms. Terrell was pretty good but the current principal Ms. Severin is horrible. The kids don't do anything throughout the school year and in fact go on trips the last month of school. They don't celebrate anything and bullying goes unnoticed by the principals. If you want your child to sit all day everyday in a classroom without looking forward to anything that children look forward than this is for your child. I wish I could take this experience back for my child after hearing so many other parents attend plays and performances for their children. Clearly, this principal doesn't have a clue about running a school with children. I'm so hurt and disgusted that I prolonged this experienced for my child after she complained for the remainder of her years at PS 45.

I think more parent participation, better student behavior and more caring and sincerity on the part of the principal could improve this school.

My son goes ps45 and he loe it. he has improve alot in his reading and now he is going to second grade.

My son and daughter go to PS 45 and I think the rating given to this school is to low. There are great teachers doing great things at PS 45. PS 45's principal, Ms. Terrel, who changed that cleaned house and change our school around. Ms. Terrel with the help of teachers and staff took PS 45 from a SURR school to one of the most competitive Queens public schools. Our math scores in our testing grades, this includes special education students, were among one of the highest. We have pre-school to six grade with small class sizes and hard working teachers who care. I really think GreatSchools needs to update there rating.

I love this school. It is just so warm and caring. The teachers are very excellent with the students and everyone cares so much. I had two boys in kindergarten and first grades and they loved the teachers there. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a really great school for their children. The homework that they get challenges their little minds. I recently moved out to Washington state and they are way behind. My boys are now in the first grade out here and they are reading on a second grade level.

Last modified P.S. 45 Clarence Witherspoon is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.