Queens, NY
Students enrolled: 1,060

Posted January 23, 2014
This School needs to work on a safety procedures. I was in the office and my niece came down from her class unattended, without any adult supervision. Students should be accompanied by an adult when they get out of their classroom. They should not roam around the hallways alone. I was shocked to witness my niece come to the office all alone. She's only in kindergarten.

Posted December 19, 2013
this is great public school for public.great Principal with excellent leadership.this is the place where your kids should study.

Posted August 23, 2013
My school is P.S Is 49. This school is where 3 of my children attend. I feel the teachers do not prepare them well during the school year. They only taught this year for the state test. Once the state test was over, the rest of the spring no tests were given and all learning stopped. I also don't feel fond of the new math teaching methods for the children. My children found it more confusing and I had to constantly send them for tutoring elsewhere. I have bright children and I am very involved. Any parent who is not your child will not succeed here besides my child telling me how the math teacher plays candy crush on her phone during math lessons. I am disappointed.

Posted June 21, 2013
To the comment below. The ignorant comment assuming I am friends with the lunch lady Don't know her personally except for a hi how are you. As a teacher you must have a class full of angels. My daughter came to 49 from a private school where there was no discipline. When one child acts up the others seem to follow so she is teaching a no tolerance for that kind of behavior. For anyone that doesn't appreciate a disciplined child 49 is not the right choice. My daughter tells me everything that goes on in the lunchroom and it seems some just like to over exaggerate.

Ps 49 Dorothy Bonawit Kole 1

Posted June 20, 2013
The lunch lady is horrible she miss treats all the children. She has been investigated a number of times and someone actually blew up her car. She screams at this kids like a crazy woman and nobody's child deserves to be yelled at like that THEY DO NOT DESERVE IT. she punishes the whole lunch period for one child talking. That's unfair. How would she like it to be treated the way she treats those kids. The only one that is loud and disrespectful is her and her friend that wrote the comment below. Many parents have pulled their kids outta that school because of her. She bullies them. Ask any kid. If she can't deal with kids acting like normal kids she shouldn't work in that school. She also says how she hates public school and the kids are animals and that's why she sent hers to private school.

Ps 49 Dorothy Bonawit Kole 4

Posted May 23, 2013
My child has been a student at ps 49 since 3rd grade. She is now in 5th. The teachers are terrific. The principal is exceptional despite his lack of ability to communicate well with parents. He is great with the children and for pushing them to be all they could be. And that is what is most important.

Ps 49 Dorothy Bonawit Kole 2

Posted March 10, 2013
This school gives to much homework for the 3 grades and the test are crazy.i email to a certain teacher every time I email she doesn't response to me at all.But I think this will be her last year going here.

Posted August 26, 2012
Special needs parents BEWARE: there is a paraprofessional that works in this school that exploits special needs students by claiming they "hurt" her so she can get out on disability. She also speaks to them inappropriately. Principal knows about it, does nothing and your child gets a bad name. This current principal does not care for special needs students. He cares about test scores and making his school look perfect. If your child needs a special ed. setting, especially self-contained, LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Posted May 16, 2012
This school is awesome!!!! It has so many things for the students to do. This school is great!!!!

Posted March 27, 2012
My daughter has been in the school for two years now. She loves her school, teachers and classmates. This school has an amazing teachers and educational program. Non of the Queens schools offers so many trips ,activities and cares for your child that is way this school should be graded high.

Ps 49 Dorothy Bonawit Kole
67-60 80th Street, Queens, NY  11379
Last modified Ps 49 Dorothy Bonawit Kole is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 49 Dorothy Bonawit Kole Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top