Bad
Good

Posted September 11, 2015
Every parents I want you all to read this very carefully there is a saying "first impression is a last impression" I had very bad impression on the first day of my child pre-k. It was all good in the morning while dropping him off. I could not pick him up coz I was at my work so I told my sister in law to pick him up at 12:30. One of the teacher started yelling at her which classroom. Tell me the number, you don't know English? You don understand English, there are 4 class room how can I find your child, you kown nothing about your child.. Blaaa blaaa. Later she called me and the so called teacher she grab the the to talk to me n I gave his class room number.. Can you go up now....2nd floor...On top of all these she has my 7months old son on stroller... You all can imagine the first day of education... Lil confuse and lil lost. Instead of helping us to get our kids she misbehave so rude very arrogant. I have no idea what my child will learn from such so called teacher.....

Posted April 13, 2015
TEACHERS: -not trust worthy -some work as side-by-side advocates while some don't actively communicate and are bureaucratic -school staff, teachers, etc gossip about parents and kids PRINCIPAL (has good aspects but): -has inherited and taken on some of the traits of the previously incumbent principal of protecting the teachers at all costs. -puts on a great smoke and mirrors show but not much to back it up. -Bullying is ignored - teachers bully the kids too - Rafalko turns childrens' desks and as soon as she does not like a kid this will be how your entire year goes - her asst Maria has put hands on children. God forbid you put her in a special needs environment with kids who cant speak. -CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IS ALLOWED AND COVERED UP. -PE program is once a week 30 min. No gym so they need to make up for this.

Ps 71 Forest 2

Posted January 06, 2015
The school no longer has a top or honors class from Sept. 2014. Every one with different levels are mixed together. Though this maybe a great idea in theory. In reality it is terrible. There is nothing to challenge those that are able to understand & complete the work. (common core) For ex, in math, my kids are so bored they complain to me, they know how to divide and multiply but the teacher has to go over it b/c some don't know in 5th grade. The kids in their class are talking not doing work and don't care plus half of them don't bother doing the homework. They disrespect the teachers. There is nothing to challenge them. Some classes have no current titled books for higher lexile reading level. One of my kids teacher has books but the others do not. My kids have become complacent with learning and I am frustrated b/c how can they compete to get into a gifted/talented program or a competitive middle school if they are not challenged and able to complete the large amounts of work given them? Maybe the were, hoping the smarter could be role models but all my kids get is teased for getting 4's and feel bad about being smart. I'm heartbroken & remind themhow important learning

Posted November 20, 2014
Mrs. Soto is the new principle and she is excellent. I would like to see more field trips for students this year. I would also like to see the P.E classes expanded for all students.

Posted March 16, 2014
the new principle has changed many things about the school like she added "owl dollars"most the things that you can get with these owl dollars is what 5 th grade would usually get with the old principle if she is going to have theses things it should only be for 4th grade and under and give those things to 5th grade they've been looking at the past 5th graders enjoying all these things for 5 years and they couldn't wait until they were in fifth grade to get these.

Ps 71 Forest 2

Posted February 26, 2014
while the principal is new and seeks to involve parents and families on a greater level, the old staff is still the same and very selective in who they give their best service to. I am not impressed.

Ps 71 Forest 5

Posted November 24, 2013
I love this school because it has clubs like the Recycling club with a good teacher ms Ryan.They have wonderful students like I once was now I'm following my dreams as a actress and artiest at my new school new voices ms 443 I will never forget all the wonderful teachers and community that forest elementary ps 71 Q gave me .but mostly I will never forget my friends in that school my friends were my teachers the assistant principals and the principal which allowed us to explore clubs and have a singing Competition at lunch so we don't get board so I'm grateful for that school i will never ever forget ps 71Q ever !!!!!!

Posted October 29, 2013
i use to go to this school.i now go to i.s383 a school for the gifted and talented. If u decide to send ur child there,trust me it is a great school.i had just graduate this school in 2012.My younger brother still goes to 71 and he still get a good score on his test. 1 thing i hope the school will change it that this school used to be a no uniform school. Kids in this school are still little,they do not wear inappropriate clothes. i think normal clothes are fine.

Posted October 26, 2013
PS 71 now has a new Principal who is a force of positiveness, has a great love for the children (she calls them her children) and her number one goal not only for her students, but also for parents is have an excellent education! She's a ROCK STAR! In the short time she has been at PS 71, she has created an atmosphere of success and has brought up the school moral. We are proud that she is our students' leader. Our school will go from a great school to an outstanding school and we are ready for it!

Posted October 26, 2013
The new prinicipal at PS 71 is friendly and open to speaking to the parents. She is an advocate for great education and has implemented workshops for the parents. She has also re-implemented celebrations for the kids (they need positive re-inforcement for the hard work they do after all). The parents are happy to see her face and know that she cares about the students and the school. She makes herself available to staff, parents and students. The teachers seem more at ease now then in previous years. The overall atmosphere is lighter and more energetic. It is my opinion that she will make PS 71 a Grade A+ school.

Ps 71 Forest
62-85 Forest Avenue, Queens, NY  11385
Last modified Ps 71 Forest is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 71 Forest Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top