Bad
Good

My son is a kindergartener at PS 87 in Mrs. Janet Sciarratta's class. The school management struck gold by having her on their staff. She is absolutely amazing! Words cannot express how incredible she is, both as a teacher and as a human being. My son absolutely adores her, and she is the reason why he is excited to go to school every day. Academically, she recognizes the children's individual strenghts and weaknesses and works with them accordingly. My son has learned so much under her instruction! By the middle of the school year he is already a great reader, and his math skills are very advanced for a 5 year old. Mrs. Sciarratta is a great communicator as well, she always makes the time to keep me informed of my child's progress and we speak weekly. We are truly fortunate to have her as his first school teacher!

Why are these parents so dramatic?? I feel each parent has different experiences for each school. & this site is to EXPRESS freely there thoughts and feelings. Not every parent lives the wonderful experience we all wished we lived with our childrens school. But that's why we have these helpful sites, for parents like me to look at before enrolling my child to this school. Why get upset with one parents bad experience???!!! She's just speaking what she had to go through....

s for that patent below she doesn't know what she's talking about. I am a parent and I needed an ambulance and it was at the school in minutes. Why don't you post your name coward? Why don't you put your real phone number so the school can reach you. My kid graduated and now my other kid is at 87. This is a great school with wonderful staff members.

This is in response to the parent that says her child was bullied at school. My child has attended this school for several years and I have never had a problem with bullying. Teachers and administration are involved with all students. If there is ever an issue the principal is on top of it and informs all parties in a timely fashion and has them come to the school. So I don't understand what this person is taking about. They are missing out on a great school. .

My child was bullied and severely injured and the Principal took 4 hours to call me. The incident took place early in the day and the principal finally contacted me right before it was time to dismiss the students. The principal down played my child's injuries because she did not want to file an incident report. This is unacceptable. My child had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance after I arrived at the school and saw the injuries. I immediately took ALL of my 3 children out of this school. One of the worst schools in middle village. The principal THINKS she runs a tight ship but truth is the kids do whatever they want and get away with it. All those cameras and they never see anything while its happening!

First I would like to say I'm a parent of two children at this school. An 8th grader and a 4th grader. And the parent who wrote the school is a disgrace and can't get through to the principal has so many grammar errors and her statement is completely incorrect. The principals cell phone number is on every email and notice she sends home. She is very accessible. As far as the teachers. Well they are more than capable and your grammar and editing skills are not up to par maybe this is why you haven't seen the principals cell PHone number on the many emails or notices sent home. As far as smoking in her car. I'm at school all the time I have never seen this. And even if it's so. Doesn't the principal deserve a lunch break. She is human and can do what she's wants at lunch. And if it was so hard to get in touch with her, when you supposely saw her smoking in her car why didn't you speak to her then. Well anyway good luck to you and your daughter at whatever school she will be going to from here. Sorry your daughter will miss out on a great school!!!!

I am a parent of a child at PS 87. First of all the parent who wrote the review on the principal needs a grammar lesson. Second of all Ms. Michaeli is very accessible to the parents, teachers and children in the school. She has an open door policy. Her phone number is on every letter she sends home to parents. How many principals do you know that does that? Finally if she goes out to smoke in her car who cares. I'm sure she's entitled to a lunch just like the rest of the world. What's most important is that the students are very happy and safe at this school. The teachers are phenomenal and work extremely hard to provide their students the best education that they can give them.

My son is now in First grade and has been in this school since Pre-K. His Pre-K teacher Mrs. Elkaim was outstanding! For a first time parent sending your child off to Pre-K can be difficult...She makes the kids and the parents feel warn and welcomed. For Kindergarten he had Mrs. Giampa who was Amazing! I cannot say enough about her. She takes her time with the children and works with each of their needs. The difference in my sons, reading writing and math, manners, among other things from Sept 2013 to June 2014 have changed SO much. She is THE IDEAL kindergarten teacher and i am so thankful my son was lucky enough to be selected to be in her class. As far as the principal I really have yet to get to know her personally but I give this woman a lot of credit, 1- if she has a school with teachers like this 2- she is outside every morning to greet her kids, whether its 100 degrees or -10 degrees and snowing or raining. 3- Letters constantly come home in regards to trips for the kids, events, field days etc. I think shes great. this year he has ms.pirella hope all goes as well as the last 2 years!

My daughter is attending this school since first grade. Now she is in fourth grade. My son is in first grade. I am glad that they are in P.S. 87 because they feel safe and comfortable in this school. The way that the staff made everyone feel welcome. They respect everybody and they make sure that the students get the help that they need and the best education.

I am Very pleased with the school. My son is currently attending pre-k and he has learned a lot. Perhaps is the teacher Mrs. Alkaim is fabulous. My son knows how to count up to 100, knows basic math adding and subtracting, geometric figures, whole alphabet, all senses, colors,etc. I had asked some parents who their kids attend other schools and my son is so advanced in comparison with kids from other schools. I do feel ps.87 is making a great effort to bring up their grades and statistics. Overall, I think this school has a great mission and shows a lot of effort to involve the parents in their kids education. Love the mail always keeping us current with everything. Love the teacher Mrs. Alkaim.

Last modified Ps 87 Middle Village is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.