Queens, NY

Ps 99 Kew Gardens 4

Posted August 21, 2014
My child is going to sixth grade this year. He has had a great education here at 99. He's been here since kindergarten. Anytime I've had questions I've gotten answers from the teachers and the parent coordinator. Even the administrators are happy to answer your questions. I've dealt with them a few times and seem professional. It's true that the students don't get much play time outside in the annex but how can they if the school doesn't have a real playground. The parents that complain about this should realize this. I have always taken my kids to the playground and to extra activities outside of school. My child loves the school and all the teachers.

Posted August 06, 2014
We have had an amazing experience with PS 99. We were very happy with the teachers, the level of instruction and the safe and nurturing atmosphere of the school. We would love there to be more outdoor playtime, but we have a very happy child, and that is the most important thing!

Posted June 28, 2014
To the parents writing on June 20 and 24, 2014: Thank you for expressing your points of view. Our family has made similar observations about PS 99's inadequacies, many of which are rooted in the principal's self-aggrandizement, denial or brushing aside of parental concerns, a freezing out of parents brave enough to ask questions, and a complacent academic culture My child had a "lost year" in second grade with an overcrowded (33-student) classroom and teacher who spent more time on her iPhone that resulted in a disorganized atmosphere. Further confirmation of this came when, at the end of the year, my child brought home classroom workbooks that were nearly blank. Two other parents with kids in the class told me their children's workbooks were hardly used. How were our kids spending classroom time? We, too, were frozen out after asking questions. At every conference over our five years at PS 99, no matter the teacher, our child's report card grades where read aloud to us (as though we couldn't read them ourselves). None showed a real understanding of our child or offered a qualitative assessment of her abilities and areas that needed improvement. Smug principal; complacent teachers
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 25, 2014
P.S. 99 is nice school with hardworking teachers. However some teachers are very absent minded and routinely will come to work after the school day starts as if they are too busy to come to work on time. I feel that this year was a school year lost for my child. Many times my son would come home saying that his teacher would just yell at him and other students. There was no structure in his classroom, and the teacher would never respond to letters or phone calls. The principal at P.S. 99 is not in touch with reality, and routinely will take out her frustrations on other administrators and teachers. She pretends to care about the faculty, staff and students but she puts on a fake smile and ignores the concerns of the parents in the community. She will be the first one to tell parents that everything she does is for the children, but everything she does is for herself. Because of these reasons I would not recommend P.S. 99 as the ideal learning environment for other children.
3 people found this helpful

Posted June 23, 2014
PS99 IS A GREAT SCHOOL. THE CHILDREN PUT ON A MAGNIFICENT PEEFORMANCE FOLLOWING THEIR CHAMPIONSHIP BASKETBALL WIN. I SEE ALL VERY HAPPY CHILDREN.

Posted June 20, 2014
A ghastly administration and teaching staff make for a terrible experience for students and parents alike. You have teachers with alternate career aspirations who (not surprisingly) are poor teachers, teachers who think that constantly screaming at their class is a teaching methodology, teachers who won t allow students to participate in certain programs without justification, and teachers who assign homework without have taught the subject in class. Students are assigned excessive take-home work that still doesn t help the 73% of students who failed the state test last year. Then, there are the times your child comes home with anecdotes that clearly point to teacher conversations with dismaying double-entendres. Teacher s whose mean-spirited attitudes and general incompetence are ignored. Then, there are the teachers who bend over backwards for bullies from troubled families, making it all the worse for the victims. It s known that if a parent asks intelligent questions or files a complaint/request, subsequent parental follow ups and communications are ignored, and methods are used to freeze the parent out in an attempt to force the parent into falling in line.

Ps 99 Kew Gardens 3

Posted May 21, 2014
Principal is extremely rude and talks down to adults she never met. What a condescending attitude! Nobody should work for her. If I talked to my employees the way she does, I wouldn't have anyone who would work for me.

Ps 99 Kew Gardens 3

Posted May 13, 2014
Decent school but the security guard in the Annex building is extremely rude if you need to pick up your child early if they are sick, or sign in for any other reason. It is true that you are greeted with much hostility when entering the building, as though parents are trespassers, according to another reviewer.

Posted February 04, 2014
This school is extremely nurturing and inviting. The school is a firm believer in the arts and you can see that as soon as you walk in. The parent coordinator is great at responding to parent concerns and providing resources. The school offers a lot of parent workshops., too. Administration does a really good job of making sure each child gets the services they need so they can excel. The teachers work really hard and communicate frequently with parents. It's a great place for children to learn.

Posted January 10, 2014
Problems with PS 99: 1. No playground or recess; 2. gym and music classes are routinely doubled up 50 kids per class a clear UFT contract violation; 3. two-thirds of kids did not pass the NY state test; 4. a hostile administration that ignores you in the office; 5. a parent coordinator who parrots the admin's party-line; 6. a principal who won't answer e-mail.

Ps 99 Kew Gardens
82-37 Kew Gardens Road, Queens, NY  11415
Last modified Ps 99 Kew Gardens is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 99 Kew Gardens Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top