K-2, 6-8
Queens, NY
Before care: Yes

I.S. 119 the Glendale 5

Posted June 22, 2014
This school is good. Teachers are excellent! Only negative experience there was with "Guidance Counselor" at this school, she does want to help the parents at all! It is so hard to talk to her. She does not have normal communication skills! She provided wrong information to us... She does want to listen to what you said. She is sitting there just only in order to collect her Union salary and her Union benefits! She is not going to help you or your child with serious information! This "Guidance Counselor" is worst person in that school!

I.S. 119 the Glendale 5

Posted April 28, 2014
My child currently goes to this school and I have noticed a very postive change in her. She is more open. She began loosing up. I asked her why. She said, "The gifted and talented program has made me more open because I can accually talk to my friend about what I want to talk about." She also said that "Unlike normal Ed, I have to work hard to get top score. In Normal Ed in my elementary school, I just did what I was supposed to, never studying and getting 100s, to get the highest score." I think my child thinks P.S./I.S. 119Q as a challenge in the Gifted and Talented Program. The Nofication of Saturday School, PTA meetings, Food Drives etc. is terrific. All the teacher are friendly and are willing to help the student if needed help. They have acual Gym Units, Ex. Volleyball. My child comes home everyday with a grin or smile. The principal walks around the school every single day. SHe watches over the kids. Everytime she comes, she takes notes. So, overall I would rate this school a 5+! Hope this helped you! Resourses- My daughter ^_^

Posted August 24, 2013
As a student in the 119, it seems that the curriculum served here is very limited due to money issues, growing racism, bullying which then in turn, affect self consciousness one needs to provide the hand in hand community for students' grades. Needless to say, this immaturity is the single factor that determines this school's progress. Kids are struggling to learn as they see others pass on and achieve their goals of success. With this occurring daily, one cannot simply say, "I can do this." Its very hard to see this school slowly, but noticably falling apart. However, teachers are another ideal that hold this school in place. They are the tightrope for the "clown" circus actors trying to get across, as the circus actors continue to fool around. Its hard to analyze a school singularly on its students when you have clever teachers to somewhat benefit the school. This schools' teachers help students, and it can truly be seen that they encourage and promote academic success. With continuous ethics to be produced, i hope to see this school be in the top. As it is, this school can really learn from its mistakes. Hopefully, it will be fulfilled with stronger efforts to challenge kids.

I.S. 119 the Glendale 3

Posted August 24, 2013
I graduated from this school in 2008, and I thought the education quality was excellent, as an honors student I had good teachers and I saw hard work being rewarded. However, a major major problem was bullying, students in my class often bullied myself and others and no discipline was enforced. Halls began to get crowded as the school started bringing in expelled students from other schools, and discipline issues rose. As for applying to high school, counselors were not very helpful and I don't feel I was informed enough about the application process at All.

Posted August 07, 2013
I am a student at IS 119 and I personally like the school. There is some bullying there but the deans always there to address it. When you first go to that school you will feel that the homework is alot but eventually you get used to it. The teachers there are nice and helpful too. They have good after school activities for everyone and they also have robotics for those in specialized classes.

Posted March 13, 2013
I'm a student here and I'm a 6th grader I also have a little sister that goes to the school too and is a kindergartener. The teachers are nice if you do listen to them. But other kids are very mean there. I mean, usually it's hard to get friends when there is so much people you hate. I see and hear other teenagers cursing and pushing little kids, being perverts. My little sister even says that teenagers keep pushing her around, and she came home crying. She does learn and loves school. But it's too much for me. The only thing I can do is be good and stay calm. Also this school may give the kids completely challenging homework and tons of it even for the kindergarteners. I don't even get the chance to hang out with my family and I always finish all my homework around midnight from the afternoon. This school is okay, unless your tough.

Posted February 21, 2013
I am a student here, and I have to say that this isn't such a bad school. The gifted & talented program is great, and if you can, choose it. There are lots of fun activities ie) volleyball, basketball, after-school clubs, robotics. The school is also very convenient. It is to many bus routs, such as the Q29 and the Q47 . The downside is that many teachers are very mean. They will be rude to the students and will even curse at them. However, this is still a great school. If you are selected in the G&T program, then I suggest you go to this school.

Posted January 13, 2013
due to bullying caused by racism. Unless you are hispanic or a European, do not attend this school. In these cases, your so called "family" is unable to protect you. The principal and deans try to enforce discipline. But many students are way too stubburn, continuously yelling and refusing to obey orders. The principal and deans are then unable to control the students in the school. The environment is not welcoming in the aspect of students. I do not know about non gifted classes, but the teachers of my gifted class hardly yell at us, although i constantly hear instructers screaming at the top of their lungs across the hall. Though I can not stand being seperated from my classmates, the school itself is not pleasant. The instructers need to be repundant on telling non gifted students they are not going to go to specialized high schools. Of course this does not apply to everybody. Actually most people are nice. But personally, i can not wait to graduate and move on with my life. It is not worth it in the case of surroundings. But education is fulfulling. I was finally able to recieve a 4 on the ELA state exam. There is also a 0.7 mile highway seperating the Q 47 bus and the school.

Posted February 27, 2012
After attending IS 119 for 1 year, I feel compelled to share my thoughts. The school has some amazing teachers who know their stuff. They are funny, smart, and ready to help. However, the teachers are powerless over the appalling administration. Dr. Fagan is one of those people who does things to make herself look good. She has some good initiatives and curriculum ideas, but how about her relation to the students? She is all about discipline and order. The horrendous deans just walk around the entire day, blowing their whistles and screaming through their bullhorns at everyone. They have everyone in fear of committing the slightest infraction. For example, using an iPod in the hallways results in it being confiscated for the day. No big deal, right? WRONG. They will call your parents and have you humiliated for something so minor. Also, the filth in the cafeteria is horrible. You'd think we were in a prison, the way they scream and scream about who's on line and who's not. The entire administration and the old lunch lady hags should eat a meal in these filthy, stinky conditions. All in all. while the teaching is great, don't go here unless you plan to submit to these conditions.

I.S. 119 the Glendale 1

Posted February 09, 2012
THIS SCHOOL IS HORRIBLE. The gifted and talented program is bad and there are bullys everywhere. The deans, and teachers and principals don't do anything to stop this, it only gets worse and worse. The school is neither challenging at all, if you're thinking about going to this school, then forget it, your district school is better.

I.S. 119 the Glendale
74-01 78th Avenue, Queens, NY  11385
Last modified I.S. 119 the Glendale is a Public school that serves grades K-2, 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
I.S. 119 the Glendale Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top