Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

They are held back from doing their job because of curriculum. This is a teach to the test school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I believe in family time. In the majority of households now, most parents work. We have a very small amount of time with our children in the evening and it is spent arguing over homework and to be quite honest, I do not understand most of the common core math.

This is a teach to the test school. It did not seem this way when I enrolled my child, but over the years that is exactly what it has become. The curriculum is based on the state test. All ELA and Math. Science is the minimum allowed per DOE. Music has been severely limited. Art and Foreign Language cut completely in the 4th grade. It is very sad that what brought us here has been eliminated. The teachers are terrific, but the administration is very cold and not open for change. Their way only.

Great school with very high standards. Dedicated teachers and involved parents. However, they need to control the students in the hallways and lunchroom better. Perhaps sending to parents of troublemakers some of the video footage from hallways would make them discipline they kids at home more? They should teach kids how to behave at school! Also, the "regular" classes should study the same material as the honors classes. Or almost the same. All children are capable to learn and should be challenged on daily basis. Placement in Gifted and Talented programs are based only on one short test at young age! Just because someone didn't want to take the test or scored bit below the marking point does not make him or her less intelligent, than the kid which scored 0.2 point higher and got in the program! Studies show that most of the g&t students have similar IQ levels as the kids in regular classes! Some of the so called "chosen" ones sound here a bit arrogant and "full of themselves". Use you knowledge to help others succeed at school and in life too. Don't look down on them. In the the "real life" we are only as strong as our weakest link. Some maybe were less fortunate than you and must struggle at school, but does a higher test score makes you a better person? Also, lets not forget that kids with learning disabilities deserve the same respect as everyone else. Dear teachers teach all kids the real values necessary for happy and fulfilling life. 50 years from now kids will probably forget a lot of the information they absorb now, but the world might be a better place because of the life lessons they can learn now. God bless you all.

This school is good. Teachers are excellent! Only negative experience there was with "Guidance Counselor" at this school, she does want to help the parents at all! It is so hard to talk to her. She does not have normal communication skills! She provided wrong information to us... She does want to listen to what you said. She is sitting there just only in order to collect her Union salary and her Union benefits! She is not going to help you or your child with serious information! This "Guidance Counselor" is worst person in that school!

My child currently goes to this school and I have noticed a very postive change in her. She is more open. She began loosing up. I asked her why. She said, "The gifted and talented program has made me more open because I can accually talk to my friend about what I want to talk about." She also said that "Unlike normal Ed, I have to work hard to get top score. In Normal Ed in my elementary school, I just did what I was supposed to, never studying and getting 100s, to get the highest score." I think my child thinks P.S./I.S. 119Q as a challenge in the Gifted and Talented Program. The Nofication of Saturday School, PTA meetings, Food Drives etc. is terrific. All the teacher are friendly and are willing to help the student if needed help. They have acual Gym Units, Ex. Volleyball. My child comes home everyday with a grin or smile. The principal walks around the school every single day. SHe watches over the kids. Everytime she comes, she takes notes. So, overall I would rate this school a 5+! Hope this helped you! Resourses- My daughter ^_^

As a student in the 119, it seems that the curriculum served here is very limited due to money issues, growing racism, bullying which then in turn, affect self consciousness one needs to provide the hand in hand community for students' grades. Needless to say, this immaturity is the single factor that determines this school's progress. Kids are struggling to learn as they see others pass on and achieve their goals of success. With this occurring daily, one cannot simply say, "I can do this." Its very hard to see this school slowly, but noticably falling apart. However, teachers are another ideal that hold this school in place. They are the tightrope for the "clown" circus actors trying to get across, as the circus actors continue to fool around. Its hard to analyze a school singularly on its students when you have clever teachers to somewhat benefit the school. This schools' teachers help students, and it can truly be seen that they encourage and promote academic success. With continuous ethics to be produced, i hope to see this school be in the top. As it is, this school can really learn from its mistakes. Hopefully, it will be fulfilled with stronger efforts to challenge kids.

I graduated from this school in 2008, and I thought the education quality was excellent, as an honors student I had good teachers and I saw hard work being rewarded. However, a major major problem was bullying, students in my class often bullied myself and others and no discipline was enforced. Halls began to get crowded as the school started bringing in expelled students from other schools, and discipline issues rose. As for applying to high school, counselors were not very helpful and I don't feel I was informed enough about the application process at All.

I am a student at IS 119 and I personally like the school. There is some bullying there but the deans always there to address it. When you first go to that school you will feel that the homework is alot but eventually you get used to it. The teachers there are nice and helpful too. They have good after school activities for everyone and they also have robotics for those in specialized classes.

Is119 is one of the best schools in the city today. The teachers are funny, nice and really push you to do the best. The science program at this school is great for sixth and seventh grade with Anthony wanzor and Rachel matundan. The school has minor issues such as bullies and the occasional jerks but what school doesn't? This school is an amazing and wonderful learning enviormment and a place where you meet the greatest of friends. So far the best subjects would have to be science, ela with ms.wallace and ms.rojas math with ms gorier and social studies with mr.vatalaro and mr.teehan. Overall the principle dr.fagan has done a great Job. -student of class 704 previously 604

Last modified I.S. 119 the Glendale is a Public school that serves grades K-3, 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.