Posted May 05, 2014
I don't believe the reviewer below properly read the previous review: there was nothing mentioned about disciplinary problems. Also, you don't know much about the principal, so you don't feel comfortable to comment about him but feel comfortable enough to judge another reviewer on the internet? In any event: This school is horrible: the teachers are severely lacking when it comes to communication with parents. I have tried on numerous occasions to reach out to the teachers in regards to my son only to have the teachers give me excuses. For example: when my son tries to give in his homework, he is told to hold it. Really? Hold his homework? Then I get the excuse that they have to teach 30 kids and can't keep track. But they can keep track enough to send out complaints. I have now started making copies of my sons homework because of teachers saying they have never recieved it. Of course they didn't: they didn't accept it when my son tried to hand it in! This used to be a magnet school and I was pleased my son would be attending here. I found out when he enrolled that it had lost that status and now I can see why. Avoid at all costs.

Posted August 21, 2013
I live across the street from this school and my daughter goes here. I used to have problems frequently with the kids when they would get out of school (as i said i live across the street). I haven't had an incident since the new principal took over. I wont pretend that i know much about him (seems like a nice guy), but my daughter loves it here. I only decided to post this when i saw the review below. It is upsetting that the parent is depending on the teachers to discipline their child when it should be the other way around. I don't have a problem with my child so obviously her experience is going to be different than someone who makes trouble for himself. Overall just watching the kids cross the street i found that most of them are a nice bunch.

Posted February 12, 2013
This school is a nightmare my son hates school since he started going here. The teachers and staff are vindictive. Teachers give work and tests on stuff they have not taught yet. They will let your child make mistakes without informing until he is failing or getting suspended. When i was in school I had some GOOD teachers so good that even the bad kids behaved for that period. It's not the kids who are bad its the teachers. good teachers produce good students ok get it straight. Please do not send your kids here you will regret it.

Posted January 28, 2013
I'm a parent at I.S 126 and this is the second child that I have sent to this school. My first born went here in 2004 and this school was as unorganized as it gets. Dr. Scott was a nice woman, but clearly was counting down the days until retirement. I would attend P.T.A meetings and not a single teacher would be there (hello Parent TEACHER Association). Fast forward 8 years and they have a new principal who knows what he is doing. I went to the first P.T.A meeting and there was actually teachers there. Not only were they there but they had two young guy teachers there who answered every question that any parent asked. My child adores the 6th grade teachers and i love the fact that they are seperated from the 7th and 8th graders. I am very happy with my decision to send my child here.

Albert Shanker School For Visual And Performing Ar 4

Posted June 17, 2012
I'm a student at this school and I've been to a PTA meeting, and I don't know about then, but the entire auditorium is filled with parents now. The teachers show respect and care for you, if you show effort and try hard. You can only lead a horse to the river, you can't make it drink it drink from it. This goes with teaching too, if you don't want to learn, then don't expect to pass the state tests. However, if you do put effort, then you'll do ace it like I did with a 3.74 for Language Atrs and 4.37 for math. The teachers do their job well, it's just up to the students to see if they want to learn, or not. This school has more than enough programs to ENSURE you pass, the Jacob Riis and the City Year program to help you after school, the 37 and a Half Minutes program so you can ask for help in homework, and the Pearson textbook that reviews everything thats going to be on the English State test. We even have smartboards in every room, to help the math teacher show work, to help the science teacher show diagrams, to help the Social Studies teacher show pictures, and to help the Language Arts teacher show stories that would nomally be required to be printed out so everyone can see.

Posted September 16, 2009

Albert Shanker School For Visual And Performing Ar 3

Posted April 30, 2009
im an 8th grade student that goes here and 126 has now got a new principle and he has and is trying to change the school for the better way more parents are showing up to pta meetings which is good the teachers are very good they push u to learn and they give u respect as long as you return it last year the school was horrible but this year the school seems way much better and just remember its not the school thats bad its the students well atleasts some.

Albert Shanker School For Visual And Performing Ar 4

Posted April 28, 2009

Albert Shanker School For Visual And Performing Ar 2

Posted March 11, 2009

Posted June 14, 2008

Albert Shanker School For Visual And Performing Ar
31-51 21st Street, Queens, NY  11106
Last modified Albert Shanker School For Visual And Performing Ar is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Albert Shanker School For Visual And Performing Ar Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top