Posted May 06, 2014
this school is horrible if you want your children to know how to fight and defend there self sure send them here because there will be a fight everyday

Ps 140 Edward K Ellington 4

Posted April 15, 2014
My pre-K teachers Ms. Watson and Mrs Elzarafy along with the TA's Ms. Guandecki and Ms. Emeri. are very caring and I trust them with my children. My 4 year old has been writing his name since 63 days in school. My twin 4 year old has been writing her name in 80 days. They're both learning site words and counting like little geniuses. I am very satisfied with the teaching they are receiving at Edward K Ellington. If I have any complaints its the school hours which are not conducive for a working parent. But that compliant can be shared with any school!!

Posted November 22, 2013
I don't even know where to start with this school. This is THEEEE WORST SCHOOL ever. My daughter started in the school as an A's and B's student now her last report card she has eleven 2 and two 1. Almost everyday my daughter comes home she said there was a fight either in the classroom or somewhere in the school I don't understand where there so many teachers plus the principal yet they not doing anything about those fights. very sorry

Ps 140 Edward K Ellington 5

Posted October 11, 2013
I don't care what people say about the school its just that their children are the students who are stubborn at times with behavior problems and don't want to respect the principal and staff members cause they wasn't taught to do it . Mr Norman is an excellent principal who is patient with the kids he don't believe in suspending them he give them a chance. So if you don't like the school take your child elsewhere so that you will stop complaining it will just make him look better and .

Ps 140 Edward K Ellington 2

Posted April 15, 2013
I recall being in 140 many years ago, everything was much different from what it is now. Sure there were children who misbehaved but Mr. Defraitis and Ms. Brittenum always had everyone under control . The teachers especially, at least the ones I had: Ms. Ramos , Ms. Edwards and Ms.Miller were extremely strict , they did not tolerate the nonsense I see today whenever I pick up my baby brother form school. Whenever I pick up my baby brother from school there is so much chaos, it worries me because little kids are there cursing,listening t rap music, pushing each other and acting like animals and well the lunchroom after school is just the worse. There are kids fighting on the floor , where is the Principal to do something about it , because I've observed the staff and honestly they do not look trust worthy at all ! This is all very sad because I have really good memories of PS140 and right now I'm just watching it go to pieces.

Ps 140 Edward K Ellington 2

Posted March 14, 2013
As a former teacher at P.S.140 I was happy to learn that the school was removed from the "phased out" list, because I believe that the school serves a wonderful community. I feel that the current administration did not approach the restructuring of the bilding in the best possible manner. The first rule of thumb is not to purge the building of its staff, but to observe and make relevant changes. Instead the current administration came in and completely changed everything, even those things that were producing positive results. I hope that with this second chance that the school administration will take a deeper look into how they do things. There is a proverb that states " a fish rots from the head down" simply put this school is failing, because of its leadership. I am not saying Mr. Norment is not a good leader. I am saying he is a leader, who does not listen to the people he leads. His focus is on getting rid of teachers instead of providing them with avenues to become more successful. I am a strong believer in the education of our children and that the BEST teacher should be in front of the classroom, but we must encourage teacher growth not destroy it. Good Luck 140.

Posted March 13, 2013
PS 140 has went downhill since Ms. Brittnum retired. The new Principal Mr. Norment is always in a meeting when you want to see him. He has more meetings than President Obama. The office staff is horrible and they don't help you at all and the new teachers favorite answers are Well I don't know let me ask Mr. Norment but guess what he is in a meeting. I have been dealing with this school since the 90s when my son attended he is 25, my daughter also attended she is now 18 and I have a 10 year old attending now. This school is the worst now. Everyone is just there for there paycheck and no one cares anymore. The old staff at PS 140 was great this new staff is horrible including the Principal.

Posted December 22, 2012
A FORMER STUDENT... I use to go to school here like when i was six or seven..i am a light skin male ..and as a child i dint no nothing about hate and color ...but i learned there.. we did more coloring than learning and played out side the most..that was cool sence i was young .but as i got older it was just a waste of time...THE SCHOOL IS BEING WORKED ON LIKE FOR TWO YEARS NOW THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING. Out side recreation is out. theY took away the basket ball court that i grew up with.ALSO WHY IM WRITING 20 YEARS LATTER some thing HURT MY HEART ... walking and i saw two brown skin boys picking on this light skin little boy kicking him and his older sister tried to get him of of them and they did not seceed..and way it BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES.. not a got school AND AS WE SPEAK THEY ARE STILL FIXING IT..MY COMMET TO THE SCHOOL.. no matter all your fixing it has a bad name ..AND BRING THE COURTS BACK SO AT LEST THE OUT SIDE KIDS CAN PLAY...WHAT SCHOOL CHAINS IT UP pease

Ps 140 Edward K Ellington 5

Posted December 01, 2012
Mr. Norment is not the worst Principal! He has only been at PS 140 for a little over a year. The problems he had to deal with were left from the past administration. Anyone who has truly come into the school for the last year has seen the changes. Let me clarify, 1. Mr. Norment has created more opportunities for parents to participate with school by creating progress reports, a new school website, monthly newsletters to parents. 2. Mr. Norment purchased something called I-Ready to help our children practice reading at home. 3. He has given the school a new paint job. 4. The disgusting looking main office looks beautiful now. 5. Norment is in front of the building most mornings and is outside during dismissal. He cares about our children. If parents have come to any PTA meetings they would know that he had to let go of many staff members because there was limited funds to keep them. Most of the people making these negative attacks have never talked to the man and are probably airing out an individual personal problem with him. I would personally like to thank Mr. Norment and I am glad that you are at PS 140. Dont worry Norment, most of the staff and parents support you!

Posted October 26, 2012
My children have been in this school since Pre-K & my oldest is now in 4th grade. This school was not a great school a few years back but now its definitely one of the WORST schools ever!! Ever since Mr. Norment became the principal of this school everything went downhill. He hides behind the A.P & accomplishes absolutely NOTHING. The children run wild & curse at him. I've seen it & heard it myself! There is a lot of bullying going on in this school & they do NOTHING about it. He has NO control of the children. When Mr. DeFreitas was in the school the children were respectful & it was a safe environment. He spoke to the parents & address any issues immediately. He made sure kids were not fighting after school unlike the current principal who does NOT care about our children. There are SOME good teachers in the school but the Principal & Assistant Principals are the WORST EVER!! Its been 6 years since my child has been there & I never had any complaints until NOW! This month I have been in the school office more than ever with different issues. I am so disgusted & upset with the leaders of this school. Currently looking to change my kids from this terrible & unsafe school.

Ps 140 Edward K Ellington
114-0 166th Street, Queens, NY  11434
Last modified Ps 140 Edward K Ellington is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 140 Edward K Ellington Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top