Irwin Altman Middle School 172 4

Posted November 20, 2014
It's a good school. The new hours are very fitting now, it's 45 minutes lower than last year. The teachers teach the lessons with skill. I would recommend this school to many.

Irwin Altman Middle School 172 4

Posted April 29, 2014
school is very good specially the SP teacher get more involve in the student. student have first time common core and codex but thank to ela teacher she makes so easy.

Posted February 25, 2014
This school has a lot of extra classes to participate in like cooking,music,vocal,wood shop ,drama,computers,math games forensics and I haven't see any bullies or have been bullied but the principal should get invoked more and they re the good teachers, bad and extraordinary teachers. I ll miss this school and can't believe I'm graduating.

Posted June 16, 2013
I've been going here since September 2010 (my 6th grade year) and it has an absolute bullying problem. The dean in charge of helping, does not do his job. I've tried the principal and even the assisstant principal but none of them had helped either. Only two people are amazing at helping: A security guard and An 8th grade science teacher. I also don't like how I wasn't placed in Intergrated algebra. My strongest subject is Math and every year in elementary school, I scored a 4 but on the Ela I scored a high 3. This high 3 was one of the reasons I wasn't placed in sp. In seventh and Eighth grade I was placed in special help class "ex:731 or 831". This kind of helped me recieve 90% every marking period but the only thing I really wanted was to be in sp. The 8th grade assisstant principal, told my parents there was this "waitlist". Honestly, they need to switch the standards for sp. People in sp are failing and some non sp students are excelling. 3 months ago I found out I got into a specialized high school. I was ecstatic. A lot of people in my grade got into QHST, Van buren, Bayside and Francis Lewis though. If you want your child to go to an amazing hs pick a better school please!

Irwin Altman Middle School 172 2

Posted May 23, 2013
My daughter has attended this school since 6th grade. She has been bullied by another student for all three years. This girl has sent slandering text messages out about my daughter, has disseminated petitions with a list of children that "hate" my daughter, has thrown a shoe in her face, has isolated ny daughter socially on numerous occasions and lastly, tripped her on the senior trip, causing a sprained ankle. The school has been willing to meet with my husband whenever we have asked but has not had one consequence for the bully. They have their anti-bullying campaigns and posters all over the school but do not follow through on anything. Bullying, emotional and physical, seems to be accepted. I have another child in elementary school and I will most likely send her to Our Lady of the Snows for middle school. I don't feel that this school is a safe place for children and am looking forward to the end of the year and getting my daughter out of there.

Posted April 03, 2013
I think that MS172 is a very fine school. I am in 8th grade, in SP, and teachers really care about us passing our classes and Regents. In Foreign Language, we learn things that are meant to be taught in 10th grade. The SP ELA class is exactly like a 9th grade ELA class. The standard of work we do is really high. The Algebra I teacher is a pro on what he does. He's made us look at math from a different perspective. Social Studies is a breeze, you really learn History. The teachers, most of them, are caring and are there for you. The principal is the person most teachers and students don't like.

Posted February 19, 2013
Terrible school. Lazy teachers that don't teach. Disrespectful students who are so loud that even when teachers are actually teaching. I was in SP which is supposed to be honors and all of this stuff happened. Fights happen a lot and some kids do drugs. As someone said before me the kids do run the school. It didn't prepare me for high school at all.

Irwin Altman Middle School 172 2

Posted December 22, 2012
(Present student) First of all the teachers aren't really that great. Throughout my experience, there is about 2 or 3 teachers who will help you understand what you're working on. The rest are lazy, or don't teach The students, I think are the worst thing at this school. They lack respect towards basically everything. Since last year, about 3 fights have broke out, but were stopped quickly. One good thing there is always a security guard somewhere. There is some kids here who do drugs. Don't even get me started on the cleanliness of this school. It's horrid. There are bugs everywhere. The classes are divided into 3 diff. types. Extra help, Regular classes, and SP. I'm in SP and they say we are suppose to move quicker then the other classes but we don't. We should be a month ahead, but we're at the same pace. They also need to take certain students out of SP, who are failing, and replace them with kids from Extra help who have 94 averages. Overall, I would recommend trying to go to another school, such as 266, but if you have to come here, just keep studying and keep your distance from people you're uncomfortable around. Wish you the best of luck.

Posted February 29, 2012
Staff that works there are so unprofessional. I just called to speak to someone about registration and the lady who answered the phone was making fun of me (it was probably my accent) without even realizing that she didn't put me on hold yet. I asked the second person ,who was not polite either, "what is the persons name that answered the phone first?" She told me Ms. Burke. I have them on tape and it is going on YouTube

Posted February 23, 2012
i think this school is great. Im in 6th grade and so far i had a great year. I have a lot of new friends and the teachers are awesome.

Irwin Altman Middle School 172
81-14 257th Street, Queens, NY  11004
Last modified Irwin Altman Middle School 172 is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Irwin Altman Middle School 172 Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top