Queens, NY

Posted October 23, 2014
My kid is in Kindergarten G&T and so far enjoys going to school immensely. I find the school to have a very supportive environment.

Ps 174 William Sidney Mount 3

Posted April 16, 2014
We had high hopes for 174, especially with our child in the GATE program. But what we realized is that it's a numbers game geared towards getting higher test scores so the school gets more money. It's not really about the kids. Otherwise, why would there be 32 kids with 1 teacher, packed in like sardines? Homework and assignments often go unchecked and there's little individual attention. The teacher does the best she can, but it's really a failing of the administration. But who can blame them, as their budget it tied solely to how well the kids test. It's quite sad! Still, there are good points. Good after-school programs, interesting field trips, and regular social events led by a strong coordinator. However, it's frustrating, as I just feel it could be so much better if the teacher/student ratio was anywhere near manageable. And finally, I do believe there is a problem with how the administration deals with bullying and other foul behaviors. It seems they prefer to keep things quiet and sweep matters under the rug instead of tackling them directly. That's very weak leadership. Parents want transparency and visible action!

Posted April 03, 2014
It's great neighborhood school. My daughter went there for 4 years before she got into Lous Armstrong middle school. My son is in 4th grade and likes it there. I would not say that he gets plenty of homework but when I feel the he is done with his homework too fast I make him do extra math on computer through 10 Marks that his teacher signed him with. School offers plenty of after school activities . Even though they are not free I hear that many NYC schools don't even offer any after school activities. My son loves going to after school like basketball and chess. This school also offers many trips and I was lucky to go as a parent volunteer parent to Lincoln Center and see ballet Nutcracker and then 4 seasons. Parent coordinator is also great. She is very responsive to parents needs and very organized. The building probably needs renovations but it's not easy to get funds for that. It's not the most important thing . Main hing is that my child is safe there and he is leaning .Overall our family is very pleased with this school .

Ps 174 William Sidney Mount 3

Posted December 06, 2013
Teachers in this school are absolutely amazing... unfortunately the school didn't get 5 stars due to the principal (she lacks personality, leadership, communication, and ensuring the school is a safe environment).

Ps 174 William Sidney Mount 4

Posted April 03, 2013
My daughter is in kindergarten. The most important thing is that she likes school and seems always happy going there in the morning. Her class is small, they have 13 or 14 students, which is good, not to mention that they have one lead teacher, one assistant and 2 or 3 paras, which is great. I think for me, personally is very difficult to say if she has the best teacher, but in general I like P.S 174 very much. It is very active school. I receive lots of emails on daily basis. I feel I'm getting information about all the activities and couple of times I sent an email to a parent coordinator and her response was very quick and productive. Overall I'm happy with this school. Hopefully I'll be even happier next year when she goes to 1st grade.

Posted June 19, 2012
My daughter is about to finish the 1st grade. She is in the gifted and talented program. Since she still has 4 grades to go before hitting JHS this review could of course change but so far almost everything is positive. During the past year I did have some concerns involving another student and the principle was very responsive. With thousands of students every school is going to have its share of problems, but it s how these problems are handled that makes a school good. The principle doesn t hide in her office, I normally see her in the halls interacting with the teachers and students. The assistant principle is very lively and friendly. My daughter s Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers have been excellent. The teachers that my daughter has had so far really seem to care about their students. There are nice programs and trips that the class goes on and parent participation is always encouraged. Last week the class just had a writing celebration and talent show in which parents and relatives were invited. During this show the children were able to express themselves through writing and art. The bottom line is that my daughter is HAPPY and she is LEARNING.

Posted June 18, 2012
We feel very fortunate to have the opportunity for our daughters to attend this wonderful school. The oldest is in 4th grade gifted and talented, and the youngest is in 1st grade. Both have had ample experiences to perform before the school (singing, dancing, and musical theater), and there are diverse after school programs which have enriched them immensely. The principal is always there, supporting the children in all their endeavors, and she knows them all by name and personality. My girls can't wait to go to school each day. We are very happy here!

Posted June 16, 2012
PS174 is the best school ever. My daughter is in gifted and talented and she loves it! The staff is wonderful. The lunches are nutriciuos annd the programs are excellent. My daughter is in 4th grade and has been in this school since kindergarten. My other daughter is in 1st grade and she loves it too. The principle is very nice. My daughters adore their teachers and assistant principle. My oldest daughter in 4th grade is very sad to be leaving in 5th. We all LOVE it!

Posted April 13, 2012
This is the best school that there can be. Best principal, teachers, you name it.

Ps 174 William Sidney Mount 1

Posted October 22, 2011
Our son stayed from 1 to 3 grades in the gifted class which might be OK, but the school staffs and classes are bad in general. They are still teaching 2nd grade stuff to the 3rd graders. They never had good lunch and the lunch coordinators always yield at the kids. The teachers (even the gifted class teachers) and the principle are not responsive at all. They just ignore you and your kids. It is a horrible school in Forest Hills area. Now we moved out and he is so happy with his current school.

Ps 174 William Sidney Mount
65-10 Dieterle Crescent, Queens, NY  11374
Last modified Ps 174 William Sidney Mount is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 174 William Sidney Mount Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top