Queens, NY

Posted June 26, 2015
Principal Mrs Cooper is very Nice Dedicated and soft spoken and outstanding in her Profession and her Staff are very friendly and caring for students and parents. .My special thanks to New fourth grade Teacher Ms. Gokassey she is a Gem in crown, very good addition to school. she is very professional at the same time friendly with students her motivation and encouragement to my son proved very helpful in adjusting and learning with ease he learned a lot with enthusiasm and lot of interest, she has been very supporting to him throughout the academic year which made him a brilliant student. As a parent I wish her all the best in her career.Wish all teachers are like her. Thanks.Shaila

Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School 3

Posted March 30, 2015
I would say the school is fine and the teachers are kind hearted. I understand that the kids are a lot in one class, but they are also human beings. Once you get to know them , you will like them. cafeteria is not the best but not bad either. Staff is ok. Parent coordinator is very nice. Principal is busy but nice. My son, took time to adjust but now he is happy.

Posted July 31, 2014
My son and daughter both went to this school. It is the best around for miles.

Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School 3

Posted September 26, 2013
My son just started kindergarten there and so far so good. I was a bit disappointed at the way they except kids in the morning as it's always a bit crazy. I think there should be a better way of receiving kids so parents can walk away confidant that a teacher has acknowledged each child.

Posted July 27, 2013
I have attended this school around 6 years ago and i can freely say that i could have not asked for a better experience. Now, i cannot speak for how the school is running currently, but i will speak for how it was before ( if anything has changed.) Starting with the principal, yes. she is a bit stern, but it is better than being a complete push over. There were ALWAYS activities planned, such as the circus, nutritionist, ballroom dancing, school plays, spirit day, and various animals in the science lab. The teachers may seem as if they do not have time for everyone, but believe me, they are very kind hearted once you get to know me- after all- they deal with dozens of parents and students a day, they can't have a smile on their face 24/7. I must say, Mrs.Piansky and Mr.Nussbaum are the best teachers your child could ever have.

Posted June 13, 2012
I am really pleased to see our school rating ,and it's truly disturbing to see rude,and harsh remarks. Parents get a grip ...we need to work together ,and no miracles are happening over night. As a parent for the past 3 years i feel very confident about our school. There is a great seance of collaboration between administration, teachers and parents. The teachers are excellent,well trained,creative and dedicated. MY child is learning in a very supportive environment. Yes classes are large, but that is a problem of all good public schools in the city.

Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School 4

Posted April 25, 2012
I see the overall star rating is rather high for this school. But, nobody takes the time to write good things about this school. Now, I do have to say that a particular teacher in that school, Ms. Mandis, should be banned from teaching children not only in this school but in any environment. She could probably only teach girls how to play tea party with "pizazz". What a witch... However, my experience with other teachers has been a great one -- you just have to work with them. Caring and involved. While the communication throughout the school could be GREATLY improved, they are willing to work with you. Seems that the teachers were told to follow some sort of a policy not to communicate through e-mail. The teachers are either afraid that they may have to respond to too many e-mails (come on...), or there are some weird liability issues. Other then that, the school is pretty good.

Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School 1

Posted April 24, 2012
So, my child has been here for a whole academic year. I will be pulling my child out the subsequent year. I can't stand the teachers, the staff, the class schedule, the lack of physical activity, communication, everything! I am sure there are a few good teachers here, but they are few and far between. Interaction with the office staff is HORRENDOUS! I hear the staff screaming at the kids ALL the time. My child is regressing in behavior. Though I pay for "hot lunch", the cafeteria routinely runs out of "hot" food. My child ends up eating the repulsive "cheese sandwich" which invariably causes a tummy upset and therefore, having to stay home the following day. I'm done with this place. Maybe your child will be able to handle this place better, and you will get a good teacher. But for me it's a definite Good Bye, Nice to know ya!

Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School 2

Posted March 19, 2012
My child is attending for the second year at this school and we still are not satisfy and don't understand the "good rating " it has. Starting from the principal to teachers, staffs and PA, haven't seen any improvement or good changes. PA don't provide any help and ask for help all the time to parents but will accept and call you for whenever they need you or don't have anyone their own group available. They should look up into what they actually do...the BOX TOP money collected from the clips collected from students, it hasn't change since last year, I go into the BOX TOP web to check after they have collected the clips from all the classes but no change. I offer my self to help and they say they would let me know and until now, they haven't call me so I can help them with the BOX TOP. EVERYTHING IS DONE BY WHO EVER IS IN THEIR GROUP ONLY and don't like to see no one do a better job than them, if so, they will little by little keep you out and won't keep you updated with emails or texts on what's being done. They are suppose to help us and informed us. I'm so dissatisfied with this school. Stop given good ratings and start looking in a little more on what the really do.

Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School 1

Posted September 26, 2011
Can't wait to get out of this school! Very bad parents teacher communication. The teachers are always "too busy" because they have "too many kids" in their class. They don't know how to handle them and they are lazy. Never would they take an extra few minutes and go over some material. That actually would be much more effective and better for the kids, instead of letting them sit in the auditorium watching movies everyday. They can't take care of social problems and situations properly either. The teachers are just not good in this school!

Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School
64-35 102nd Street, Queens, NY  11374
Last modified Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top