Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 06, 2016
My son Cade loves his school and his classmates but most of all, he has excellent teachers. Thank you to Mrs. Coughlin and Mrs. Connors for doing an amazing job. You are both helping me to raise my son and I couldn't be more proud. It's a huge weight off of my shoulders knowing he is in good hands.

Posted May 06, 2016
The school is run like a unit and it's all about the kids and what they need. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the staff.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 06, 2016
My son's 2nd grade teachers have been extremely helpful with helping my son to achieve his goals. I couldn't be more happier.

Posted November 24, 2014
Best school ever -- every staff member is part of team/family and the students really feel a sense of security, family and community. Academics and social skills are both strongly reinforced. We love this school.

Posted December 18, 2013
The Little School with a BIG HEART --> big heart indeed for all the effort, dedication, leadership and love put in by our principal, teachers, assists, PTA. I have three children attending there and I can tell you that the school has played a BIG part in their upbringing - not just in education but also on how to a good citizen and uphold true values. My children all have blossomed due to the continuous support and care given the school. I have recommended the school for my nieces and nephews - to be a part of a school and actually get quality education. School truly uphold the values and all credit again goes to the staff. To the parent on the note on staff being preoccupied during school dismissal, i appreciate even this effort as this is only ensuring the children are home on time on the bus and with the right people.

Posted December 15, 2013
PS186Q The Castlewood School. My son has been in this wonderful school since pre-k and is now in second grade. I have seen him blossom and grow right before my eyes with the wonderful support and caring from the teachers,staff, assistant principal, and most importantly, the principal. The dedication of the entire staff and the support of the Pta makes this the best school in NY, in my eyes. The information we as parents receive from the parent coordinator and the principal is useful and helpful with our day to day challenges as parents in 2013. The pta meetings have wonderful workshops given by teachers and parents. Some teachers who participate in giving the parent workshops at the pta meetings somehow fit that in their personal schedule-that is amazing! It is the kind of school that the CHILDREN ACTUALLY LOVE COMING TO! They start EVERY day with yoga stretches, birthday announcements, and a happy feeling before they even enter class. What has also amazed me since day one is that the principal knows ALL of the children's names and even the younger siblings that do not attend the school yet. I am so happy I have a younger child who will be attending PS186 in the near future!

Posted December 14, 2013
PS186 provides a remarkably caring and supportive learning environment with an extremely dedicated staff. The School Leadership team and an active PTA seeks every opportunity to reach out to parents and offer support to the academic mission of the school. Castlewood consistently ranks among the best of comparable schools in the city and this is a direct result of the untiring efforts of both administration and a highly professional staff. The school is unique in that it provides a vital arts program along with exceptional academics. Like most public schools, PS186 is wrestling with the challenges of the new Common Core Standards, but with time I am certain those challenges will be met with the usual pedagogical integrity and through the participation of parents and the school community.

Posted December 14, 2013
Castlewood is a wonderful school! Everyone who works here has the best interests of the students at heart. We go above and beyond to make sure the kids are safe, happy, and well-educated. Teachers get regular professional development to make sure we are using effective teaching strategies with our students. We have high expectations of our students, and we are proud of how well they meet, and exceed, those expectations!

Ps 186 Castlewood 2

Posted December 12, 2013
The school is more preoccupied with directing traffic during the dismissal than running the school. As a result you can expect a traffic cop driving around and giving tickets during dismissal which only makes everybody more nervous. What is even more ironic is that the co-op community across the street has its stuff racing up and down on sidewalks in their golf carts and yet that has yet to be addressed by the supposedly caring staff of PS 186. On the educational side, kids are still learning typing in computer classes, year after year. There are many smart boards I-pads and other technology but the kids are ..... learning to type in K, 1st grade, 2 grade, 3 grade, well you get the picture. During recess when not outside which is most of the winter early spring and late fall, kids are watching movies in the auditorium. I guess having them engaged in playing checkers, chess, or even interacting in a meaningful way would be asking too much of the staff which is too busy directing traffic outside of school.

Posted September 27, 2013
My school is P.S. 186 Castlewood. My son started first grade and now is in second grade. I have found his confidence in his abilities to learn has increased that he is a different child. The leadership presented by the Principal is graceful, responsive and with clear vision and passion. Thank you Ms. Quinn! The PTA is what should be expected from a community, leaders who are parents first and are accountable, responsible and engaging, open and fun. The teachers are real partners with my child's education. It's a the best school in all on NYC and maybe even the world. It is an example of how every school should be.

252-12 72nd Avenue, Queens, NY  11426
Last modified Ps 186 Castlewood is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.