Posted May 31, 2014
I attend this school, class 622, this school is amazing, u get a lot of friends here, plus we r a team, I love all the staff and principals, this school shows great reality, I recommend u guys attend this school, u can participate in everything this school is the best school ever, u can have a lot of friends there, you could help others, no one in this school is racist, they treat each other with respect and care, u learn tons of stuff, mostly every there is intelligent and caring, they stand up for you. Once again, I hope u guys attend that school.

Posted November 21, 2013
Daniel Carter Beard Junior High, otherwise known as PS 189. I attended this school in 7th & 8th grades in the 80's and it was horrible then. I can't imagine it has improved in any way shape or form. There were bars or cages on the windows, and security guards set up at all entries. How is this possibly any good? The principal at the time (can't remember his name) got beat up several times by gang members. There was a rumble everyday and people were beaten in the halls and bathrooms for no reason. The teachers could care less if you were failing or passing, they simply didn't care. My parents made the right choice by moving us out of the state so that we wouldn't have to attend any of the horrible schools that we were zoned form.

Posted November 03, 2012
I am not at all pleased with the staff of this school. I thought schools wanted parents to be involved. In this school your opinion means nothing. God forbid your child has ever been sent to the deans office for anything. It is whatever the teacher says that rules. No one ever asks the student about their side. This place is run like a dictatorship. This school is in flushing in an area that is mostly Asian. If your child is anything other than Asian god help them because no one cares about the minority children and they will be blamed for any and everything that happens in the school.

Posted October 10, 2012
If you are looking to send your child here DON'T BACK AWAY FROM IT SLOWLY AND RUN TO ANOTHER SCHOOL. If I could give this school a grade lower than one star I would. I am a parent that believes it is not only the teacher's job to help your children so its not that i wanted them to do all the work and not contribute. I think the problem with them am involved with my son's education and wanted them to do their job and communicate with me and my husband so we know what to do at home to help them. The Principal and the Asst Principal are the worst that I have ever seen they are disrespectful to the parents and the Principal probably doesn't even know your child's name. They are not interested in the child learning or growing they are just interested in them doing what they say for them to do forgetting that they are children and that they have to work with the parents for the child to be successful. Like I said before don't send your child here don't listen to the great comments that people made like our economy they are probably just the 1% that are actually being served and treated right.

Posted October 04, 2012
My daughter attended JHS 189 with some very unusual needs. She graduated with a 13 percent increase in her average. The staff is caring, nurturing and helpful in any way possible. The Principal, Ms. Burgos, and my daughter's AP, Ms. Bulluck are absolutely outstanding administrators and human beings! The welfare and education of the children are first and foremost at JHS 189!

Posted October 01, 2012
This is not a great school, I do not see child impoving. administration has one way decision, No justice. vice principle is very mean. New students are often beaten by group.

Posted May 22, 2012
This JHS 189Q school is outstanding. It got wonderful teachers and staffs. the principal and the assistant principals are really doing great with our kids. they are always helping the students with problem. they are taking care of our students nicely. this school has fairly discipline.

Posted June 27, 2011
I used to go this school, but that counts right? One word to describe this school: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally miss this school. I had to leave all my friends just to move to Bayside and start my life all over again. Seriously, whoever's going to this school is sooooooooooooooo lucky. This school is a total blast! Many field trips, many friendly teachers, and best of all, MANY CLUBS!!!!!!! ^^ I really don't understand my parents. Why did they even transfer me to this new school in Bayside in the middle of the school year? They know how awesome this school is. They always had high hopes for me in this school. Suddenly, they're like *poof!* changed and hates this school. :( One day, I know that one day, I'll come back to Flushing and visit this school. :D By that time, my parents won't be able to stop me! >:D To finish, I want to say that this school is the BEST JHS that you can possibly go to.

Posted October 26, 2009
great school everything is great even the teachers the princapls are great so are the kids i love that school

Posted October 17, 2009
I love JHS 189!!! So many friends,great after school programs,morning programs like volleyball id great as well and the teachers teach kids not just science math history etc. When u actually get to know them..they are not so different to you. This is my Senior year so I'm gonna miss that school!!! Kids who are coming or are in the school for the first time 'when u get attention don't abuse it.Use it' =)

Jhs 189 Daniel Carter Beard
144-80 Barclay Avenue, Queens, NY  11355
Last modified Jhs 189 Daniel Carter Beard is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jhs 189 Daniel Carter Beard Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top