Queens, NY

Jhs 190 Russell Sage 2

Posted September 09, 2014
My son went to 6th grade and on day 3 was approached by an older girl offering him to smoke cigarettes if he wants to be popular. My son said no and ran home. Im glad i have had many conventions with him about bullying and etc. Im sick thru my stomach though because of the environment my child is surrounded; will definitely bring this to school's attention and see how they are planning to resolve. In the meantime, I encourage all parents to sit down with your kids tonight and have a conversation about cigarette and drug use in schools. Please teach your kidd that t is cool to say "NO".

Posted August 29, 2014
My cousin just graduated from this school and said that you won't regret going there I'm am starting this school in September and I am very exited to go here. My aunt say that the school is very good and the students get along very well I mean of course all school has it's ups and downs but I have heard a lot of good reviews from this school and I am really exited to be apart of it!

Posted February 05, 2014
If you notice the only positive comments are coming from parents whose children are in the honors classes. If your child is not in an honors class the teaching quality and expectations are low. The classes are overcrowded and students with behavior issues are mixed in with others who are trying to learn. This leads to a very poor learning environment. It gets so noisy in classrooms that students have a very difficult time learning.

Jhs 190 Russell Sage 3

Posted April 01, 2013
Russell Sage needs help with how the administration responds to parents, especially if the parent has a complaint. There should be more honor classes in order to make children work harder. Parents need only look at the pie chart to see which large group of children are getting into specialized schools. Make children work harder in all classes. Even if they only get on Bronze in a honors class....at least they are in honors and getting an education. There are many fine teachers here but the administration needs fixing. Also, that police matter last year........I asked about it and the office/principal said I had no right to that info! So folks, go to the 112th if you need to know about safety in this school. This boy just walked in with the other kids and I believe there was a fight with a male teacher in the cafeteria to stop this young man.....but again, I'm only a parent and not privy to information such as this. Imagine!

Posted August 13, 2012
My daughter just graduated from this school, and my son will be starting in September as well. My daughter has found most of her classes to be challenging, and her teachers to be the best she's ever had. She loved participating in the Band, jazz band and math club. The only complaint she had was the gym class was very poorly organized. She is very competitive in sports, and she was very disappointed to be wasting precious gym time doing very little physical exercise. She was accepted at Townsend Harris, LaGuardia high school and Stuyvesant, as well as scholarship offer at Dominican Academy and Archbishop Molloy High school. She is very appreciative of the education she got at Sage, and she will miss all her teachers and classmates! I am hoping for a similar experience for my son at Sage, and I'm committed to get more involved in the school to make it as good as possible for him too.

Posted January 20, 2012
WORST SCHOOL EVER. Teacher are not smart enough to teach and the school is strict. I will never take my son back there again.

Jhs 190 Russell Sage 4

Posted January 10, 2012
My son really enjoys the school. The work in honors is hard and some kids seem to try and act too cool to study. However, the teachers are caring and insightful. I have spoken to parents of his classmates from 6th grade who are not in honors and their children also really enjoy the school. Perhaps NOT having a 9th grade has changed the atmosphere. There are always troublemakers at every school and problems can arise at dismissal at the end of the day. Having good instructions on kids walking home with friends or picking them up will go a long way to avert problems. I don t think this is different at other middle schools. However, things are not well organized by the school administration - with little notice about events or school announcements. Again I am not sure this would be different at most junior high schools. There should be regular postings on the school website so it is easy for parents to find out what is happening. Homework assignments should get posted for on-line access if the child is absent so they can keep up with the work. I am glad my son is going here because he is getting a good education and the neighborhood school is convenient.

Posted December 19, 2011
My son loves this school. The work can be very long and difficult but he loves it and always wants to study. Before in the 6th grade he would always slack off and not take teachers seriously, but now he studies for 6 hours of the day. When ever he comes home he praises his teachers and his grades, plus he is not afraid to talk about what the did wrong or right that school day. Now he is in honors and is getting good and high enough grade for schools like townsharris.

Posted September 06, 2010
The school principal and her administration adopt a "zero tolerance" disciplinary regime which they carry out with shockingly poor judgment. The incident of the girl handcuffed and arrested for doodling on her desk is only the most infamous of many examples of administrators unable and/or un-willing to communicate and cooperatively educate children. While most teachers are dedicated to doing an exceptional job, the current administration makes this school a potential kafkaesque nightmare for even the most mild-mannered child, let alone one with a spirited questioning mind. It is not the administrators' poor judgment alone but the the arrogance that goes with it, and a blunt refusal to be self-examining, to learn from its mistakes, to work with families instead of against them, that make this school one to stay away from for the time being.

Posted June 14, 2010
This school has poor examples leading these students-between the guidance counselor and the assistant principal who both fail to return phone calls or follow up as discussed in conversations, you wonder what do they follow through on? The students deserve better.

Jhs 190 Russell Sage
68-17 Austin Street, Queens, NY  11375
Last modified Jhs 190 Russell Sage is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jhs 190 Russell Sage Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top