Jhs 194 William Carr 1

Posted June 17, 2014
This is not the best school ever. My daughter is about the go to 8th grade and everyday when she comes homes, she has an attitude. She says that people are calling her stupid, smelly, and fat. She comes home crying. There are many fights.Students don't respect the teachers and teacher also don't care about the students. when it comes to grades my daughter used to get 90s but now she is getting 60s even though she comes to me for help in everything. I got to say that the school's dance team is very good, but otherwise this is not the kind of school you would want to go. When you go to the main office the staff don't say good morning or good afternoon to parent and they roll their eyes at people and students and they say that they are busy when i see them eating or reading a magazine.
6 people found this helpful

Jhs 194 William Carr 3

Posted June 17, 2014
Very disappointed with this school. The assistant principal needs to be nicer. Mrs. L. Told me that she was going to call me back to listen my concerns but she never did it.

Posted November 21, 2013
I have two children in this school and one on the way. Excellent School! Ms. Miller turned the school around from the former principal who was only there 2 years. Ms. Miller is working hard each day to make positive changes. I would not hesitate sending my child to this school. She encourages parent involvement. Children are recognized for not being absent, honor roll is posted and just a positive environment with a lot of school spirit. Academic standards are higher than most with post assessments being 50% of the overall grade but there are other areas that offset this number to provide fair equity. All schools have some poor teachers but I think that they will eventually be weeded out because Ms. Miller is on top of it. As far as a big school and safety issues, you will see Ms. Miller roaming around the school outside before, during, and after school. She and other staff are ever present in the hallways to ensure the students safety. Thumbs up to Ms. Miller as she works to make JHS194 the best middle school in Queens!!!! Now let's work on a crossing guard on Francis Lewis Blvd and 17th Avenue!!!!! - from a lucky parent to have this our zoned school.

Jhs 194 William Carr 4

Posted November 20, 2013
I am a former 606 student and now a 704 student. My experience from elementary school to middle was easy i ended up with a 91 average. But for some with puipulpath (new grading system) had been hard. Many of my friends were almost always failing 1 class or more. :( But the teachers gave us extra time to hand in work! This year is a whole different story. I know they want the best for us and all that but they put WAY TO MUCH PRESSURE on us. Our sci. teacher gave us 6 assignments that are all screwed up and we have no data to base our work from. My other classes are ok. Most teachers hate my class but like/love me personally. Overall puipulpath is deadly we all say. THE GRADING SYSTEM IS HOMEWORK 20% NOTEBOOK/PARTICIPATION 10% TEST/QUIZZES/PROJECTS 20% POST ASSESSMENTS 50%. Most teachers offer help. My English teacher offered me help in any subject i want if i ever needed if, so you can say they somewhat care about you.- 7th Grader S.S

Jhs 194 William Carr 4

Posted October 25, 2013
The school is great. My daughter just started 6th grade there. She really enjoyed the classes and the activities. Teachers are energetic and devoted to their students.
2 people found this helpful

Jhs 194 William Carr 3

Posted August 24, 2013
A school is as strong as its support both within the building and at home. Young developing teens come with their own issues that must be addressed on all levels. Boundaries must be set and be consistent in order for these students to prosper educationally. Teaching children positive behavior begins at home from the first day of their life; so in order for the learning process to have the potential of occurring on the greatest, level a child must thoroughly know proper behavior when in an educational environment. Teachers should be educators first and foremost.

Posted August 23, 2013
I believe that discipline is important in order to teach our kids responsibility, values and other facts that are important towards our kids personal development and success, but let's also remember that we were kids once and we do not need a military regimen for our kids. Let kids be kids, let them enjoy life. I like this school because this school is strict but it has its limits on how strictness should be. When a school is too strict students end up hating the school, and everything that is related to that particular school. In conclusion a school should not be a military regimen, it should be a environment were our kids feel free to talk their concerns and be heard, feel free to be able to trust and be trusted, feel happy to wake up to go to school every morning and not being afraid. If you want this school to be more strict, then you should enroll your kids in a Military School. Let Kids be Kids.

Jhs 194 William Carr 1

Posted July 11, 2013
Not that great of a school, the new principal seems complacent and unwilling to make any good changes, and does not discipline the students well enough. Staff is ineffective for the most part and unless you go to an outside learning center, nothing will be learned of importance save for a few teachers that take their job seriously.

Posted June 30, 2013
This school may be a bit strict, but the staff is really caring. I don't understand why the parents are all up and complaining because their child was doing poor. The grading system has changed over the past years, and tests impact a student's grade a lot. Students don't get in trouble for no reason. The staff only wants the best for us. The principal and assistant principals are all very caring. I am walking into 7th grade in September, and I know that I will have a blast. Best of luck to all the teachers, students and staff next year -Former 622 student :)

Posted June 27, 2013
I love this school! I was in 622 (an SP class) going to 723 (7th grade SP class) next school year and during my first day in 6th grade, after meeting the principal, dean, assistant principal, etc., our teacher discussed what we can expect last school year. The staff truly cares about their students and to each other. I was just wondering why the rating is 8 out of 10, it just doesn't make sense to me. The only complain I have is that sometimes its a tiny bit too strict.

Jhs 194 William Carr
154-60 17th Avenue, Queens, NY  11357
Last modified Jhs 194 William Carr is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jhs 194 William Carr Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top