Bad
Good

This school is horrible and it starts at the top. Ms V is unorganized and phoney. The teachers care but seem to be ha cuffed by administration. Safety is also a major concern. My son was put in a gym class with 60 other students an one teacher, the teacher said he complained but nothing was done by administration. Somebody is going to get hurt.

I am absolutley disgusted with this school. my son started kindergarden here and since day one theres been nothing but issues after issues with this school. I've never seen such an unorganized school like this one. the staff there are rude and not helpful there at all. My sons guidence counslor Ms. Lax has no manner and is rude to the kids there always yelling and being nasty to them there. instead of being angry with the kids she should be more nice, corpative and helpful. I i do not recommened this school for no child.

I Rate PS197 A 5 STAR SCHOOL IT IS A VERY GOOD SCHOOL AND STUNDENTS TEACHER AND STAFF ARE VERY GOOD AND MS.V IS WORKING VERY HARD TO HELP PS197

I'm very disgusted with this school. This school is a nightmare.The is an environment of chaos and disorganization. There isn't any personal touch here. My daughter is in kindergarten and will not be going there next year. The work seems to be juvenille and she's had three teachers in the past 5 months. Consistency is not a word they understand. Children need this to have a productive learning experience. The administrative staff (principal and vice principals) seem to be dismissive of parents concerns and issues. I can't wait for the schol year to be over and pray that my daughter hasn't been damaged by her learning experience here.

My chilldren started this school last year. Since then, I have seen some school improvement in math and reading. I would like to see more courses and/or classes for advanced students, so they will not get lost or have to be transferred out to more advanced educational schools. With Parents, teaches and students working together, we can bring this school up educationally where it should be. It takes unity, but we can do it!

The principal and teachers are wonderful and do their best to maintain a safe and secure environment for the children both during school hours and at the afterschool programs. The children here are given an incentive to strive for the best grades monthly.

PS197 is an excellent school. The principal, office staff and teachers are wonderful, caring and attentive individuals. Even the school nurse acts more like a parent who cares, than a nurse just doing her job. My son is by no means easy, he is brilliant, but without the effort of the entire school, I would be really crazy. My friend introduced me to the school because her children (3) were students there and all graduated and went to other schools and excelled. My son will do the same by God's grace and the continued help of all the workers at PS197.

Horrible. 1st day of school - chaos. 2nd day of school, my son was left crying outside in the playground - unattended, and thank God I stayed around and was able to walk him into class (kindergarten). Teachers - nasty attitude. Teachers there need sensitivity training! I pulled him out and put him in private before he starts hating school because of the teachers. Now, he loves his new school. I am very disappointed in PS 197, especially because I went there as a child over 25 years ago.

Last modified Ps 197 The Ocean School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.