School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The school offers many after school and before school programs that will enhance the student's educational experience. The teachers work extremely hard to meet the needs of all learners.
December 18, 2014

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted December 18, 2014

Just attended tonight's PTA meeting and I was very impressed with the turnout of parents. The school presented our children with awards from the 1st marking period. You can really tell that the staff and administration cares about the students.

The school offers students and the community many programs such as ESL classes, athletics, free tutoring with Beacon/City Year, Adult GED, Literacy, and much more. The teachers are helpful and caring towards the students.

I wanted to check out 204 online to see if it has changed at all since 1991 when I was a student. From the reviews I've read it seems to have stayed the same. When I went there it was still a JHS so I got out of there after 2 years and started HS in 9th grade. I feel awful for the parents and their children having to suffer 3 years.

I hate this school so much! This is the worst school you can ever send your child to. I go to this school and the bullying is too much. The teachers barely do anything to stop it. There are fights like every two days. When the teachers see a fight they either ignore it or walk away. The teachers rarely try to stop the fights. This is my first year in this school and I'm already thinking about switching schools. The fights are just so intense. You can't go walking down the hallway without thinking that "What if some random 8th grader beats me up". The principles. Don't get me started ion them. They all are worthless. There sometimes even worst than the kids there. I repeat again I HATE THIS SCHOOL!!!!!!!!

This school has downgraded terribly since the new principal came into play. I graduated from this school years ago & honestly the teachers, deans & principal we helpful. But now the school is in drastic need of help. There's SO MUCH BULLYING GOING ON, it's disgusting that no one wants to acknowledge this. I've heard countless compliants from kids in my neighborhood currently attending 204, stating that neither the principal nor the teachers are of any use. The security guards even play a huge part when it comes to bullying. On top of that learning doesn't even take place, kids are utterly chaotic & are more interested in who deserves the next beating. If you want a good school for your child, I suggest you look elsewhere because Oliver Wendell Holmes can no longer provide a quality education.

This school is not the best , I regret letting my brother go here. My school used to share the building with 204 and it was terrible.Most of the teachers don't do much for they're students they get too comfortable and not involved. The school has really bad communication so don't expect to get your phone calls returned. Active Bullying and the school itself looks like a jail (very dark,old & messy) but i guess that's not much of their fault. Either way don't go here or at last really consider if its worth it.

I owe Holmes a great review for a long time. What differentiates a good school from not so much, it's people who work there: patient and attentive teachers, responsive and pro-active principal and assistants to the principal. Don't impute on the staff if you don't like the neighborhood's population. In my case, Mrs.Padron, an assistant to the principal, held herself personally accountable for the incident my son had with the local kids on his way from school. And not just that. Teachers actually listen parental concerns and tailor study for a kid as needed.

The students are learning at a very slow pace. Many 8th graders won't be prepared for high school.

This is a bad school ; students have no control and constant fights

Last modified Is 204 Oliver W Holmes is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.