Queens, NY

Posted October 01, 2013
Both my kids go to this school. One of my children are in the G and T program . So far with all the teachers both my kids have had , I have nothing but amazing things to say about each and every one of them. The school itself is truly outstanding !!! The entire staff is very friendly and very professional. They really go out of their way for their students, and most importantly the teachers make sure that learning is fun for all children. The fact that my children are excited to go to school every morning is just priceless to me as a mom !! Which parent wouldn't want that ? Thank you PS 209 for giving my children an outstanding education and an exciting , safe and very fun school experience.

Posted September 30, 2013
I have only positive things to say about this school and Dr McDonnell. Both my children go to 209...one in the G and T program and one not. Both receive a great education and Dr McDonnell does a great job addressing any issues should they come up. She knows all the kids by name and during all my interactions with her she clearly demonstrated that the kids were her priority.

Posted August 05, 2013
Love the school and the staff Dr McDonald is great as well as Mrs Fernandez my kids are very happy their Thank You for making my kids feel good

Posted June 26, 2013
I also pulled my child out from the school. Principal played politics and would not do anything to improve the situation. The school only emphasized teaching for standardized tests. Not much value in teaching.

Posted June 16, 2013
I am an alumni from 209 and now am a college student. All I can say is that it was the best school I ever went to compared to my junior high school and high school. The staff for the most part seemed very dedicated and interested in helping us learn. I am seeing a lot of negative comments about the principal, I believe ms McDonald. When I attended she was vice principal and then became principal during my last two years. I generally liked her although I can't say that she knew everyone by name. She was happy all the time and was obsessed with smiley faces. To this day I think about visiting my old teachers at 209, except one which i advise you of, the science teacher, ms. keegan. She did not teach my class much from the 3rd to the 6th grade. She would make us copy pages of notes from the board and make us watch eyewitness videos. Then she would test us without really explaining jt and everyone would fail. Otherwise, the school is highly recommended!!

Posted June 13, 2013
Principal should resign. She has an ego, knows everything, yet doesn't know anything. SHe is not a parent so doesn't know the first thing about dealing with kids. I'm glad I smartened up and transferred my children out. The teachers are ok, not great, but then again, these teachers have to go by NYS standards so they basically have to teach for testing which really is a disservice to them since that can't teach anything other than for standardized tests. ANd this school is really focused on these tests and I have heard that they repeated hold kids back and make them go to summer school when they really didn't need to go. BEWARE!!!!

Posted June 13, 2013
I agree, the principal should resign and start a career in politics instead because that is all she cares about. Each year, since my daughter has started there, each teacher emphasizes the importance of the State Tests and they all complain about how large the classroom sizes are. I admired that they cared about these State tests, until I found about all the politics that are involved. I have not seen her or any of her teachers do one single thing to help my daughter succeed in her school. As soon as they see your child is struggling, instead of the teachers actually doing their jobs and teaching your children or checking their homework, they mandate that your child get evaluated and go through all kinds of testing and deal with social workers. As soon as you mention to her that one of teachers is not performing well, she becomes nasty and will NEVER take the blame and nothing is done to correct the situation. After four years of only negative news about my daughter and no results, I am pulling my child out of this school that only cares about money and not the well being of my child. Good riddance!

Ps 209 Clearview Gardens 3

Posted June 21, 2012
I agree that the principal does not care, but the rest of the administrators care about the children continuously. Although, the work they gave was child's play (was not in ALPHA class, but got into SP in Jhs 194) I was always bullied in the school as well.

Posted April 15, 2012
A great and safe school in a very nice neighborhood. Teachers are excellent and very dedicated. Alpha classes are challenging. Very active PTA and parents involvement.

Posted February 09, 2012
this school is the best!!! there is no other like it!!! i think that the two parents that are saying bad things about it have no clue or there children are just not doing well in this school- why not then send them to another? if the school is so bad take your children out of it! this school is so caring and my children adore everything about even my friends with children in private school are jealous and are thinking of taking their children and putting them in this school!!!!! ps 209 is amazing and they have so much to offer for the children--- their plays are amazing and the kids are wonderful in them, this school is one of the best schools in queens--- dare to find another one like it believe me you wont be able to--- ps209 is above all the rest!!!! bellieve me !!!!!

Ps 209 Clearview Gardens
16-10 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY  11357
Last modified Ps 209 Clearview Gardens is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 209 Clearview Gardens Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top