Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

The school is full of bullies and gang members. I was lucky to be in the SP class. I am a member of the class of 2009. Only a small percentage of my graduating class did something meaningful with their lives. There are some good teachers but the principal did nothing to stop the ongoing bullying. Horrible school to send your kids. I don't know who is finding it within themselves to leave 5 star reviews. Don't be fooled!!

EVERYONE who works at this school really cares about the students. There are many great after school programs available for students to participate in - there is something available to satisfy and further develop the interests of every child. If you walk down the halls after school hours you will consistently see students working in their classrooms with their teachers on extra-curricular projects and at times just studying. This school has a rigorous curriculum and the teachers All work Very hard to help their students thoroughly comprehend the common core material. This school is an amazing place!

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school absolutely develops the values of honesty, integrity and fairness in its students. They reinforce them first by example, teachers/staff are respectful, kind, and yet firm in their approach with the students. Second, the school has a Student Mentoring program and a Restorative Circles program, both are amazing and are lead by in- house staff members and by outside facilitators. Finally, the values of mutual support and encouragement between students are fostered while not diminishing in any way the drive for strong academic achievement.

i like it here because the teachers are awesome and you can make so much fun, so this school is a mix of education and fun, even though sometimes education is boring, it still a great school, P.S., im not an administrator, i'm a student who passed 6th grade going to 7th, and i first got her i thought i wasn't gonna make friends and i would be bullied all the time, but it came out the total opposite, i started to make friends and not get bullied.

I don't know where to start but I my child started there from grade 7 and it's so much going on involvement in gang caught with drugs too much bad influence and no communication from teachers they ignore every negative behaviors .

I like my school, I like how the teachers care about the students and their education. I know some of the students mess up the school, there are some gangs but you just have to ignore them. Overall I love my school

My son and daughter attends this school. They are in 6th and 8th grade. I was initially nervous about sending them to this school, but this is the end of my second year and I am so happy. My son who was always struggling is has been on the honor roll two years now, thanks to Pupil Path and the dedication of the teachers. I have never met a nicer staff and principal. So happy to have my children attend this school.

This school has a great reputation regarding teacher interest in helping and caring. My child is currently in attendance here and I have no regrets. She excel at her work and can communicate with her teachers if she needs help. I am constantly getting phone calls with regards to up coming events. From attending parent teacher meetings I see the work and dedication each of her teachers have put into their student. I think ps 217 is a gem in this neighborhood and highly recommend this school. Of course we can't depend on teacher actions alone for our child's success. We are in this as well so parents don't blame the school if your child isn't doing well. Are you doing enough to help?

This happen last year.My daughter and son used to go to this school my daughter got bullied to the point where she could not focus I wish I didn't put her in this school the teacher and principal do not care they just ignore me I put them in a better school and now I feel so much better this school is a mad house parents control your kids

My daughter went here for 6th grade and half of 7th. She was bullied and harassed to the point of having a nervous breakdown. The principal could not care less and the bullies were just told to stop it and they kept bothering her. Her average was a 60%. Some genuine great teachers but terrible principal. I placed her in a private school St.Demetrios Jamaica Day School shes never been happier and she has an 80%.

Last modified Jhs 217 Robert A Van Wyck is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.