Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Teachers are very helpful and caring. Since there are many immigrants from Europe and Asia, the teachers are sensitive and caring. They go the extra mile to help the children out or direct the parents where they can get extra help.

Amount of homework: Agree

The school encourages students to attend the community center for homework help.

As a parent, I'd have to say that this school has really exceeded my expectation. A year ago, we were living overseas ready to relocate back to the States. After extensive research on NYC Public Schools, it was not easy making a decision on choosing a school for my son. Also having the opportunity to teach overseas, I wanted to make sure I placed my son in a good rated school with caring teachers and staff. I knew that P.S. 220Q Edward Mandel was the right choice after having conversations with the school administrative staff and the School Principal herself. My son skipped Kindergarten and was placed into 1st Grade being that he had been in school since he was two years old overseas. The school offers many programs for students to catch up with their studies as well as homework help at the community center and so much more. Parent communication is among the best. Paper flyers and announcements are always sent home with the children. The school uses the "Remind app" to communicate with parents such as announcements, upcoming events, Rewards, Parent Association etc. I'm also happy that the school has moved up in their ranks from a "7" to "8" on Great Schools. I guess the scores on the State exam says it all.

My child is in the gifted and talented program and receives the benefit of a small class size and a very involved and engaging teacher. My child loves to come to school every day because they have created a fun, motivating, and challenging environment. Homework is assigned nightly and my child always feels like it is a fun thing to do - I certainly never felt this way when I was in elementary school! I have heard some anecdotal reports from parents in the general ed classrooms that are not as positive. One incident is particular is a sharp contrast to the environment that my child has experienced; a teacher berated a child to his/her parent in front of the entire class saying that the child's behavior was unacceptable. Issues should be handled discretely and with the child's best interest in mind, not in front of the whole class. I see the administrators at all the events, very friendly but not necessarily engaged with individual parents during those times. The parent coordinator is very active and accessible.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Can only comment about my child's teacher, who is friendly, encouraging, and takes the time to work with each child's natural strengths.

My child was there for pre-K but no longer attends there. Overall it is a good/average school, one obvious drawback is it a larger school with more students and the atmosphere can be hectic at times. During recess you would hear the teachers/teaching assistants yelling at the children to behave, get in line, etc. Also, the security guards can be aggressive and intimidating at times, especially for the immigrant parents. That said, the school does have a Gifted and Talented program and the teachers are dedicated and do their best.

My child has been in this school for five years, since kindergarten. There are many pros and cons to this school. Pros - most teachers show concern for the welfare of their students and are friendly and approachable - school has non-academic classes, such as arts, music, and gym available to all students of all grades Cons - office staff is about as unfriendly as it gets; they ignore you when you walk in and then act like you disrupted them from something important - leadership/mgmt is terrible; when all's well, they are sweet; when issues are brought to their attention, they try to sweep it under the rug and pretend nothing happened. - not all teachers are properly licensed for what they are teaching; ie. g&t, special ed, etc - parent coordinators switch every other year; the newest one speaks to parents very loudly as if we were all deaf or as if we were kids

My son is in his last year of this school. He's been bullied for three years and the teachers don't do anything about it. Imtold my son if anyone puts their hands on you and the teacher doesn't so anything about it tht he needs to defend himself. I'm a frustrated concerned parent and the only way to get through the teachers is to schedule a meeting with the parent and their kids that are bullying my son.

My son started Kindergarten at PS 220 and he loves it. He has a great teacher. I am glad we decided to send him there for the G&T program even though there are some bad reviews from dissatisfied parents.

My daughter graduated PA 220. So far she had great teachers who really cared about her academics. Since K to 5th grade cannot complain about any of her teachers. Any problems addressed were solved. The only thing I was concerned about is no soap to wash hands in lunch room and some bathrooms. That needs to be addressed.

Last modified Ps 220 Edward Mandel is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.