Queens, NY

Ps 220 Edward Mandel 3

Posted June 08, 2015
My child was there for pre-K but no longer attends there. Overall it is a good/average school, one obvious drawback is it a larger school with more students and the atmosphere can be hectic at times. During recess you would hear the teachers/teaching assistants yelling at the children to behave, get in line, etc. Also, the security guards can be aggressive and intimidating at times, especially for the immigrant parents. That said, the school does have a Gifted and Talented program and the teachers are dedicated and do their best.

Ps 220 Edward Mandel 2

Posted February 13, 2015
My child has been in this school for five years, since kindergarten. There are many pros and cons to this school. Pros - most teachers show concern for the welfare of their students and are friendly and approachable - school has non-academic classes, such as arts, music, and gym available to all students of all grades Cons - office staff is about as unfriendly as it gets; they ignore you when you walk in and then act like you disrupted them from something important - leadership/mgmt is terrible; when all's well, they are sweet; when issues are brought to their attention, they try to sweep it under the rug and pretend nothing happened. - not all teachers are properly licensed for what they are teaching; ie. g&t, special ed, etc - parent coordinators switch every other year; the newest one speaks to parents very loudly as if we were all deaf or as if we were kids

Ps 220 Edward Mandel 2

Posted February 11, 2015
My son is in his last year of this school. He's been bullied for three years and the teachers don't do anything about it. Imtold my son if anyone puts their hands on you and the teacher doesn't so anything about it tht he needs to defend himself. I'm a frustrated concerned parent and the only way to get through the teachers is to schedule a meeting with the parent and their kids that are bullying my son.

Ps 220 Edward Mandel 4

Posted October 03, 2014
My son started Kindergarten at PS 220 and he loves it. He has a great teacher. I am glad we decided to send him there for the G&T program even though there are some bad reviews from dissatisfied parents.

Ps 220 Edward Mandel 5

Posted September 14, 2014
My daughter graduated PA 220. So far she had great teachers who really cared about her academics. Since K to 5th grade cannot complain about any of her teachers. Any problems addressed were solved. The only thing I was concerned about is no soap to wash hands in lunch room and some bathrooms. That needs to be addressed.

Ps 220 Edward Mandel 4

Posted May 15, 2014
My child went there for half-day (afternoon session) Pre-K and it was a wonderful experience. Per regulation, the class size was small with at least 2 dedicated teachers at all times. For most of the class, this was their first formal school experience so its an important step in learning to like school and learning in general. Among the downsides are that the school is quite crowded, particularly around dismissal when it seems the entire, extended family shows up, and that the only nearby public transportation is the Q23 bus.

Posted June 18, 2013
I am a very active parent in my child's life. Went to school to observe my child's class since I was received a couple of calls from school and was very upset at what I saw. I agree with many parents, the school is like prison. No organizational skills. School curriculum sucks. The staff is rude, unfortunately my sons behavior declined even further from the environment he is currently in. I am definitely contacting the District office so they can begin investigating and most importantly evaluating the teachers and staff they hire. Very unhappy with the experience my child has. I am very much afraid for my child's safety. My child has no motivation. My son comes home everyday and tells me that his teachers shouts all the time. I didn't believe him till I observed the class myself. What I saw was horrible. I urge all the parents to visit the class and school in general to have an idea where their kids spend their day. If you care for your children take action. Your child is not safe in this school.

Ps 220 Edward Mandel 3

Posted January 06, 2012
this is my childs 1st year @ the school but I went a long time ago, & yes I do agree with some of the statments made like staff being rude & not friendly & staff being loud with the kids but it is a good school that trys hard 2 be the best & with limited resources & staff we can not complain especialty when parents do not get involved, there is so much the staff can do, the kids also need their parents involved & there is none! u can not complain if u r not going 2 help make it better! no school is perfect but it is a good school & i would b the 1st 2 say something but I also get involved! but wish the school was more diverse staff & kids!!

Posted December 20, 2011
WORST SCHOOL EVER! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER send your child to this school.. too many problems, too little support ~ this school is a JOKE! home school ur child before u send them here!

Posted April 22, 2011
This school is like a prison. To much favorotism at this school. If somebody doesn't like your child, they will make sure that other people will do same. My son was taken to the hospital by a stupidity of his classmate principal of that school. Just a simple joke put my son in troble for which I wasted $500 because of this school.

Ps 220 Edward Mandel
62-10 108th Street, Queens, NY  11375
Last modified Ps 220 Edward Mandel is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 220 Edward Mandel Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top