Queens, NY
Students enrolled: 1,552

Posted April 06, 2014
My daughter goes to PS 229, she started in Pre-K she had Mrs. Daniels, Kindergarden Mrs. Chamberlain, now 1st grade Mrs. Longo, my daughter loves this school and so do I. I would recommend this school to anyone. The teachers are really polite and will help you along with your child if you needed it. The Parent Coordinator Ms Messina will go out of her way to help and assist you. The Principal Dr. Ajwani is a great Principal, she does a great job and she really out did herself with the zoning issue along with all the parents of the school including myself. The only thing I wish the school had was a class that teaches Spanish, we all should speak English already, but I believe one of the secondary languages should be Spanish. Also they should have a bigger choice on the lunch menu, at least change it Monthly,every week it's the same as the last week. Put more choices on the menu. Overall PS 229Q is the Best School. It is funny I was talking to my daughter and she says Mommy if we move can I still go to 229 I said no, she said Mommy I don't want to move and she started to cry, and I said OK. PS229 is AOK for me.

Posted December 19, 2013
Well im a 6th grader 6-3 and have had quite an experience the 3-4 years i was in this school. I had Ms.Falcone in 3rd. Mrs. Clancy in 4th. Mrs.Musca in 5th. And now i have Mr.Turzo in 6th and he is the best teacher ever just as all the others. The school is great. The staff is great., But of course theirs ups and downs like some teachers get mad really fast. And the bathrooms and lunchroom stinks. The gym. Well, you get used to it since hardly anyone wears deodorant. This school preps you very welll for the state exams which come in may. Dr.Ajwani tries her very best to make the school even greater than it already is. Although when you get older you get less partys. :D but still this school is so many words that would fill up the characters box. I will graduate this year. I will cry. I have met so many amazing people that are my best friend such as pigeon and camel. They are nice. (Ps those are nicknames) Anyway if your looking for a school from prek to 5th grade then when september of 2014 comes send your child here! This is speaking from a kids point of view but its an honest opinion. I gave it 4 stars since it has some ups and downs. Thanks for reading XOXOXOXOXOX I LOVE 229

Posted November 01, 2013
I really like this school. I've been going here since kindergarten. Teachers are nice but I do have a few complaints, whenever it is a sunny day either boys go out or girls go out once you reach 3rd Grade. It depends on the number of the day, so for example if it is the 23rd and it is sunny, the girls will go out because girls go out on even and boys go out on odd. I don't think it's fair because of the 31st and 1st. Also, if it is rainy on boys day out, they have to wait 2 days!!!!!! Also, the new wing has problems with air conditioning, when its hot they get heat when it is cold they get AC. This has been going on since 3rd grade and now I'm in 4th. Also in second grade, my teacher had no patience. Her face would get red and she would yell at you for one missed homework! My last complaint is that the bathrooms are disgusting! In the girls room, only 2 stalls work out of 5! In the boys room my friend told me that only 3 stalls worked ou of 5, but one of them is really gross. So all of my teachers were good. They include Mrs. McNally, Mrs Minonopolus, Mrs. Schulman, Mrs. Goren, and rigt now I have Mrs. Perrone

Posted October 31, 2013
I am highly impressed with this community-minded school. I think that the principal does an excellent job with ever precarious resources. She fights diligently for the students! Yes, the style is a bit authoritarian here, (I would prefer to see more of a Montessori approach in action), but this is the reality of NYC public schools- would that we all could afford to put our children in private school or move to the best suburban school districts! It is in a working-class area of Queens and one must deal with all the socio-political reality of such. It will be underfunded, overcrowded, and it will always have to struggle to give the students what they deserve. However, my kids love this school because they feel that both their personhood and intelligence are honored, that they can be creative thinkers and questioners without repercussion, but with encouragement! Wherever they end up in the future, those qualities in the classroom are the most important ones of which a parent must absolutely insist! No place is perfect, (my mom always said about teachers, "take the good with the bad"), but at the end of the day I consider this school a blessing, and I am pleased to endorse it.

Posted January 27, 2013
This school needs to improve in many areas. Some of the teachers are rather condescending and militant. The principal is not approachable. Thank God for the assistant principals that are assigned to a particular grade. They give you the respect and listen to your concerns. They are the BEST. The staff in the school office are rude and abrupt. They will talk over your voice. Dismissals are a nightmare. Schoolyard resembles rush hour at Grand Central Station.

Posted October 28, 2012
This school academically is good, but when it's time for dismissal I think it's very unorganized, they have all the students cOme out the same way, mind u at time for arrival they all the kids go inside different entrances. They need to get more organized at time of dismissal like every other schools

Posted August 31, 2012
My two children will be attending PS 229 (starting next week). I'm nervous because I have read good and bad reviews about this school and it'll be a new place for my kids. I'm an active parent in my kids' education and I expect nothing but the best from school administrators, teachers and every one who works at PS 229. At this point, I'll give them a 4 stars for giving me a good impression the only day that I've been there (to register my kids) and for the good reviews I have read and heard about it.

Posted August 07, 2012
I would have given this school 5 stars back in the late 90's and early 00's but the administration changed and so did the school. When my older children attended there was discipline and children were held to a high standard. The administration that has been running this school for the last few years have lost that. Bullying does take place and it is hushed up. Although90% of the teachers are wonderful there are a few that should not be in the class room. They don't know how to teach and want to be friends to the students more than mentors or have no patience and should retire. The concept of "whole language" teaching is leading to a generation of children who can't spell. The "Everyday Math" program is a joke. This school used to be in the top 3 of our district. It isn't anymore and that is what the real shame is. If the administration would spend more time holding kids and teachers accountable it would be a much better school. The old principal (who was male) knew every student by name. The present one can't be bothered.

Posted April 21, 2012
Wow.. I really miss the old days. My name is Peter Cho and I attended this school from kindergarden to 4th grade. Had to move during the summer of 5th grade =/. I remember the teachers Ms Bloom, Ms Surachi, Ms Chefitz, Ms Tursanovic, Mr Summer, man i forgot the rest hahaha wow.. long time. I think I left this school at year 2004. I am in the 12th grade about to graduate to college and I still reminisce about this school and the memories.

Posted April 27, 2011
I am currently attending this school. I am in sixth grade (6-3) and I love it here, though I will be graduating within about a month, it was a very good experience. Shout out to Mr. Catano and Mr. Turzo. You guys are awesome! I seriously don't know where I'd be without you two! You two have taught me a lot and I will never forget you! The teachers at this school are friendly and the environment is safe. There is almost no bullying. The events are great, the trips very informational and fun! I loved having the chance to attend this school. Parents out there who are not sure what school to send your children to, why not send them to P.S.229? Its the best place possible :). Also, I loved the Yearbook club that the sixth graders get to do for the whole grade! There's also a crews and a picnic. It has very high expectations for the children attending and the children who graduate are smart as ... well there's really nothing as smart as us! :) Again, thanks, Mr. Catano and Mr. Turzo, you've been very kind and helpful throughout this grade. (: I'll miss you guys when I graduate!

Ps 229 Emanuel Kaplan
67-25 51st Road, Queens, NY  11377
Last modified Ps 229 Emanuel Kaplan is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 229 Emanuel Kaplan Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top