Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 24, 2015
I love my teachers. I think I only had 2 teachers the entire time at Bryant that I did not care that much about. If they see you interested in your education they would treat you with respect. If you treat them with disrespect don't expect them to be nice to you. I have so many teachers go out of their way to help me either by writing a letter of recommendation for college or a scholarship application. I have teachers cut out news articles for me that they felt I might be interested in. Knowing that they are reading their Sunday paper and thinking about their students makes you feel great. They really believe in you.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 24, 2015
It depends a lot on the teacher. In the end though it averages to just about enough homework each day. It takes me around 2-3 hours a night to do homework and to study. I rarely have homework on the weekends.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted September 24, 2015
You get what you put in to it. Everyone has the same opportunities to succeed. If you do your work, study hard, get good grades and get yourself into Honors or AP classes you would have an excellent education. If you choose to skip class, cause trouble or not do your work you would end up in classes with the same troublemakers as yourself.

William Cullen Bryant High School 5

Posted September 23, 2015
I love it here. I am sadden by the unfounded attacks against the school and the Principal by trouble makers and teachers that been disciplined for their own wrong doing. Does Bryant have a problem with violence? Not as much as one might believe. Sure we have those students that lack direction, cut class and cause trouble outside of the school but if you do your work you can accomplish great things at this school. I am taking all Honors and AP courses. My fellow students all are as interested in learning as I am and therefore we have zero problems in my classes. The teachers are open to us asking questions, participating and pushing us beyond what we ever thought we could accomplish. Don't expect an easy-A from the majority of the teachers in Honors/AP. You have to work for it. I know that my education is preparing me for a top university. I do not have much experience with the Principal since I never do get in trouble and the only time I see her are for positive reasons (such as receiving an academic award). She is always nice to me. I heard she is strict to the troublemakers as she should be. Sadly, there are students whose parents expect the school to babysit them. The parents expect the school to take over the job as a parent. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be for all faculty members, including all teachers and the Principal. There are also faculty members that are blaming the Principal for their own failures. If you are a troublemaker (student or staff member) then of course you would hate the principal. She won't ignore your problems but actually push you to better yourself. That is apparently too much for some students to handle. As for the faculty members that are hiding behind their Union while attacking the school do realize that you are part of the problem. Overall for a public school this size in a neighborhood like Long Island City/Woodside, and for a school that is across the street from the housing projects we are actually quite good.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted September 15, 2015
I feel they are a little better cause they have security so they don't bother the neighborhood as much

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted September 15, 2015
I don't see how,most kids don't go to school or pay attention in class,some of them I've seen in the projects making drug deals although I heard that's changed since the pjs now has cameras thanks to some blonde girl in the neighborhood

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted September 15, 2015
Feel like it makes them worse n the school should be closed down so I don't have to pass this horrible loud mouth hoodlums

William Cullen Bryant High School 2

Posted September 15, 2015
Teachers were horrible except 2 when I was there,some couldn't even spell. My whole life went to hell going here,most of the kids who go here are bad news. Learned nothing! Was a good school a long long time ago. A staff member or principal at the time tried to give my mom a how to be a parent book meanwhile the problem was I had severe anxiety n depression my mom didn't need a parent book

William Cullen Bryant High School 1

Posted February 07, 2015
As a former student here, (a transition school between moving houses) I have had many bad encounters with many counselors and teachers! I have maybe, if not even, 1 to 2 teachers that I am fine with talking to. But counselors, AP's do not take the liberty to listen to students requests. Coming from another state... and a more prestigious school, pointing out negatives was way too easy! If you ask any student in this school if they are willing to transfer to a better school, they would take it without thinking twice. Both my sohpomore and junior year, my schedules were completely off even after constantly DEMANDING what class I needed (because I am an honors/ AP student) yet I am placed in ESL classes.. like what!?!? Teachers have failed me because of this schedule mishap and that I was "cutting" class fro 3 months! yea.. sure. The principal is probably the biggest mistake this school has ever had, I mean the school was going to close in 2012 because of her "great leadership". Being completely honest, a score of 4 is overrating this school. P.S those police officers walking around are like statues with a heartbeat never trust them :) No scamming.. all raw truth!

William Cullen Bryant High School 4

Posted April 20, 2014
Though there are trouble makers, just like any other school, I really am enjoying my learning experience here. If you keep your focus and if you WANT to learn, then I recommend this school. There are so many programs and after school activities to get involved in and most of the teachers are not bad. It does have a bad reputation, but the school is getting better and better as time goes on. I thought I wasn't going to like it here, but I do. (I am a freshman here currently)

48-10 31st Avenue, Queens, NY  11103
Last modified William Cullen Bryant High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.