Queens, NY
Students enrolled: 1,151

Townsend Harris High School 4

Posted February 08, 2015
Honestly, while attending this school, I hated it with every fiber of my being; to this day, I can't say that the time I spent at THHS was great. This school caused me a lot of mental and physical anguish. Though, reflecting upon my high school years, I now see that Townsend really is out to do good and help students really get somewhere in life. Many people complain about the boot camp-like gym classes, but they train you to be very fit and healthy, which most other schools don't bother to accomplish. Also, THHS had such a caring and welcoming environment (concerning other students). Besides a few rare occurrences, I have never heard of bullying or fights. Everyone seemed to be, for the most part, one big family. While the teachers are a hit or miss, a lot of the good ones are exceptional. When this school says they're preparing you for college, they aren't kidding. After graduating, I can honestly say I'm glad I went to this school. Note to incoming or current students: yes, THHS may seem like an absolute horror, but do try to make the best of it. It's a great school for a reason; while they seem to care about their reputation A LOT, they do also have your future in mind.
4 people found this helpful

Posted July 26, 2012
my dayghter score 677 ela and in math 735 her average gpa 93% what do u think will she get admission in townsend harris??? pls help me

Posted January 31, 2012
For those of complaining about gym, I honestly have to say that while it might seem ridiculous or pointless, in the long run, the benefits outweigh the cons. Honestly, all health and gym classes are taught by excellent teachers. You literally get all tools necessary for living healthy and you can carry this on to college. As a freshmen I had trouble running a mere mile, a testimony to my inactivity. As a senior, I took a body sculpting class where I learned how to use weights and as a result I became fit. Even now running a mile is an easy feat, showing my cardiovascular fitness. Its good to know that the school will take care of your mind and body. What many adults pay for personal fitness trainers, we get the knowledge for free. As for the running outside in the cold, honestly, it isn't that bad and in retrospect, it probably helped strengthen me too.
2 people found this helpful

Townsend Harris High School 3

Posted January 12, 2012
Mixed feelings about this school. No doubt it is one of the best high schools in NYC. As a parent of a graduated students, I noticed that there are a lot of rooms for improvement. The main job that they need to do is to find out why a national ranked 33rd high school have such low percentage of students accepted by ivy caliber schools. For the past few years, the number of students accepted by ivy calibers were under 10%. Whereas in Stuy, it was about 25%. For a class of about 270 kids, only 4 got accepted to Cornell on an average. Jericho High School in Long Island, which has similar class size, have 20+ kids got into Cornell. Why? That's a big question that Townsend needs to find out! Below are pros and cons: Pros: 1. Push the kids to their limit leads to better prepared for college. 2. Great friendly atmosphere for learning and making good life time friends. Cons: 1. Too much running for gym. 2. College counselors were inexperience that leads to large amount of smart kids NOT getting into Ivy League colleges. 3. Teachers gave out lousy grades. All classes are honors but they don't weight the grades. This also leads to students denied by large amount of top selective colleges.

Townsend Harris High School 1

Posted January 11, 2012
I don't have much complaints about the school except the heavy amount of homework. I really hate the gym teacher that my child has and their requirement. They made the kids run 2 miles within 2 weeks and in a certain amount of time. What were they thinking of? Are they training the kids to run in a marathon??? They would even take the kids out in the cold while the gym teachers stood there, dressing all nice and warm in their winter jacket and mocking the kids. They wouldn't even care if your child is sick. They would give you BS that it's good for the kids. Well let me tell you this, it wouldn't be good for the kids if they don't properly train them and threaten to fail them if they don't run. What's worse, that they would have a kid that has a heart failure and they will be getting law suits in no time. They should train them gradually and build up their strength. This is my point of view as a martial arts instructor.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 25, 2011
Its a pretty awesome school. At first, I thought I hated it because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the work, and well...I'm still doing bad but that's just cause I procrastinate x( Aside from academics, I met some incredible friends here. Just remember to be out there and not hide yourself ;) There's huge amounts of school spirit and everyone here is just so nice and smart. Almost all of the teachers here are amazing. And sure gym is harsh, but it starts to get really fun. (at least for me) Besides, you'll be looking so buff when you graduate ;D Townsend was not at all what I expected it to be. It was so much better.

Townsend Harris High School 4

Posted November 14, 2011
It's a wonderful school. My best friend goes there and she loves the workload, the interior of the building, the people, and concerts! She dislikes the gym however, saying that it is very tedious. I am very shocked to know that people would want to transfer out of such a lovely institution. She said that some teachers are boring, but most are enthusiastic. It is impossible to find a high school where there isn't one bad teacher. I'd like to know that if you want to get accepted, do you have to list it first?

Posted June 09, 2011
Townsend Harris H.S. offers great opportunity along with excellent social and intellectual growth. With an enthusiastic administrative staff and superb teachers, Townsend Harris is an ideal choice for any student wishing to excell in life.

Posted March 17, 2011
Best high school in New York City bar none. The expectations are high and and the workload is rigorous, but the return is great. If you go to Townsend Harris High School you will not only be prepared to attend any university in the county, but you will prosper once you get there. The education received, both academic and social, rivals and often surpasses that of the best independent schools in the city. It is a treasure and it is consistently rated the best pubic high school in New York City. Townsend Harris High school is a gem, producing the most academically prepared and socially conscious young adults. They truly are the future leaders! Administration and staff are top-notch and create a challenging and nurturing environment for both students and families. I could not recommend it more highly.

Townsend Harris High School 1

Posted March 15, 2011
This is a horrible place. There is an extreme amount of work and pressure. This institution is more like a graduate school.
3 people found this helpful

Townsend Harris High School
149-11 Melbourne Avenue, Queens, NY  11367
Last modified Townsend Harris High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Townsend Harris High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 140 reviews. Top