No rating

St Kevin School

Private | PK-8 | 41 students

Living in Queens

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $550,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,580.

Posted June 20, 2014

I am so very happy with this school. Leaving public school last year with so much pain and disappointment, I didn't have much time to shop around for private schools so I just enrolled my kids in the one closest to my house. Thank the Lord I chose the right one or maybe HE led us there after so many days and nights of tear filled payers. Ms. D, our 3rd grade teacher is a perfect example of what a teacher should be. She is loving and caring and that is exactly what my very shy and sensitive child needed. My child became very lively, very talkative, smiling all the time and being playful. She also had major improvements academically, which I think the fun, loving and comfortable environment the class offered had a lot to do with. I could not be any more satisfied with the school. There are no words to describe how wonderful Ms. D is, and not only my child but I will also remember and keep in our hearts the most incredible teacher that we were so blessed to have met. My family thanks you Ms. D for a wonderful year, and God bless you and your family.

Posted March 18, 2014

I am so impressed with St. Kevin Catholic Academy! My son transferred here from public school and the teachers have done everything to make the transition go smoothly. He is doing very well, and has made many new friends. The school has so much to offer: Music, Art, PhysEd, Library, Technology to name a few. The staff and administration are excellent and very enthusiastic.

Posted March 12, 2014

St. Kevin Catholic Academy is a terrific school! We are new to the school and the 4th Grade teacher is wonderful. She really teaches the children to be independent learners. The kids are learning to focus on the bigger picture, content and details. My child has improved one whole grade in math. The kids are friendly to newcomers, and the parents embraced us right away and we are Christian, but not Catholic. We don't feel excluded in any way. The orchestral music/strings program is excellent and my child is enjoying the violin. This school is truly a hidden gem!!

Posted August 9, 2010

My daughter went to this school for PreK, K and first grade several years ago, she would've graduated from 8th grade in 2008-2009 term. I loved SKS for the first two years, even though they were not curriculum heavy, the kids had lots of activities and the teacher and helper were the best. My daughter and another child were the only ones who read on their K graduation, and it seems that another parent did not want my daughter to outshine hers and I am convinced this is why my daughter was changed classes in 1st grade along with the least smart students to a class with a teacher who had just graduated from college. She received straight As but no challenge. All because this parent probably contributed a lot of $$ to the school. I was GS leader as well so I was well involved. Thank you, Yolanda Rodriguez.

Posted December 9, 2008

I graduated from St. Kevin several years ago. I can honsetly say that I had a great experience there. The teacher/staff are phenomenal, as well as the students and families in the parish. I recieved a rich and well balanced education at SKS. I enthusiastically reccomend the school to any prospective parent who wishes to give their child a rewarding and memorable elementary school experience.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 18, 2007

Their religious doctrine is too strong. Not recommended for people with other religion than catholic. Teacher's capabilities and education are below average. Faculty and staff are not very professional.

Posted November 25, 2007

I am a parent of 2 children and a former student. While I agree the school is one of the best in the area, certain things have not changed since I went there. My oldest is with the meanest group of children I have ever had the displeasure of knowing. We have stuck it out hoping things would improve, but they are cruel and nothing is done to improve this.Yes I have tried many different ways on my own and have been to the school. I no, longer want to hear that this is what kids are like, because it doesn't have to be. Kids need to be held accountable for their actions.We are actually considering moving because my child can no longer take it. Parents need to start paying attention to how their kids behave and how they treat other people instead of looking the other way.

Posted September 25, 2007

For all the people that have all these negative things to say is rediculous kids are going to get bullied anywhere and unless you went there you cant make your opinion based on anything SKS prepares you for highschool better then any school in the area i graduated about 5 years ago and i can still say they prepared me well ... Although its tough it makes high school easy.. if you want easy and a melting pot go to public school i was a minority one of the only ones in the school and no one treated me bad because of it i think that is just plain rediculous this school is tough dont get me wrong but isent that why you send kids to school to be challenged and learn come on people dont be ignorant ... I agree that this school should get a Triple A Rating!!!!

Posted January 11, 2007

St. Kevin is an excellent place to have your child educated. The pastor and principal are on board to address parents concerns. I can understand some of the negative comments and can only say that no school is ideal. However, as someone who has chosen to stay and address the negatives, I belive that the school is getting stronger.

Posted November 6, 2006

In response to every single bad review of St. Kevin's this school is amazing..(enough said) I went there for 9 fun-filled years...and i can say from experience that the school and community is extremely welcoming. My fellow graduates and I love this school and wish we could be back there because of our experiences and how good our teachers were. Most of us are still friends as of today, and I'm a freshman in college... St. Kevin's is a school that gives u a great education and prepares your for High School extremely well (Thanks to the help of my teachers I personally received a Scholarship to Archbishop Molloy High School, and most of my class also received scholarships to various high schools) So for anyone that has a bad thing to say all I can say is sorry your experience was bad because St. Kevin's is amazing.

Posted October 2, 2005

St kevins is a fast paced school. They do not wait for anyone . If you need help go and get it yourself. There are mostly one class per grade.

Posted October 23, 2004

In response to the previous parents review, it certainly doesn't surprise me that events of that nature were occuring; unless you are of the Catholic faith or even 'Caucasian' for that matter the school's community is not actually quite welcoming to those whose demographics do not conform to their own. Quite a contradiction in terms when their school and their church speaks of 'humanity, compassion and human fraility' to others but that only applies if you are of 'their kind' and everyone else is to looked upon with bigotry and prejudice.

Posted July 14, 2004

Back in the 1980's, me, my husband and our son and daughter were one of the very few minority families that moved into the Flushing-Bayside area that Flushing-Bayside is demographically known as today. Though we recently arrived to America and our language ability was limited, we desperately wanted very much for our children to live the 'American Dream' in obtaining a quality education, so we enrolled our children @ St. Kevin's. Well after 4 turbulent years there and the agonizing plea to the deaf ears to teachers and administration in intervening; I decided to pull my children out of that school when hearing reports and seeing with my own eyes of my children being bullied by fellow classmates (and at times even shockingly heard from my children that it encouraged by parents of these students as well) of acts or racial and religious persecution.

Posted August 25, 2003

Our Grand daughter attends this school and we are impressed with her learning. This school really gives a good education to its students. She also is involved with the school's extracurricular activities. We give Saint Kevin School a Trilpe A rating.

Posted August 10, 2003

St. Kevin is an excellent learning facility. There is so much to offer, in and out of the classroom. I have two daughters- one daughter who graduated with honors and a solid foundation that will have her prepared for the difficulties on the H.S. level. The other child is in the 6th grade. The extra-curricular sports and activities are wonderful experiences that will prepare them for the H.S. level. It also has given them both higher levels of confidence. Thank you, SKS

Asian 12% N/A
Two or more races 5% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Sue Ann Roye
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

45-50 195th Street