PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

My daughter was bullied by her teacher and the former principal did nothing about it. So no they do not deal effectively .

She is a stuck up individual. Thank God she only teaches Social Studies and Religion. 2 subjects that don't require much thought the material never changes. She walks in dressed inappropriately for a 5th grade teacher. She consistently makes the girls feel badly about themselves and favors the boys (makes you wonder) I would give her an ineffective as a rating. She should be let go.

I have a child in UPK and continue to be appalled by their policies. For one there is no parent involvement what so ever. I understand as kids get older that often becomes the case on it's own but parents should be involved during the first year of their early childhood education. Their bathroom policy also contradicts the NYC UPK guidelines. If your child has an accident they do not help clean them up, they literally have the child stand covered in poop until the parent can get there. I can only speak of one teacher who I wont mention by name but the UPK teacher my son has is cold and strict. I'm not sure she even likes children. She makes little effort to communicate with you and she does not have email. If OLM offered my child a free spot from k-8 I would still not send my child there.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers did nothing as i was beaten and verbally harassed. I tried to kill myself because of this school. Never send your kids here.

I sent my 3 year old daughter here for their ask day nursery program and I must say it was the best decision I ever made. Miss Debbie and Miss Laura are amazing teachers and they made my daughter's first academic experience wonderful. They were both always available to answer any questions and addresses any concerns I had. My daughter loves school and is already starting to write her name and recognize her letter sounds. Even now that vacation has started she asks to do homework every day and I credit this enthusiasm for learning to her teachers. I would highly recommend the program.

My daughter loves this school. The principal and teachers remembers every kids and parents, so you feel a family environment.

At this point I have to say that my son's experience at OLM has been a good one. Here started there in kindergarten and had the best teacher in the world, she was loving, caring and a great educator. His first grade teacher, I feel, helped him to become a better reader and to become even more curious about the things around him. He has certainly developed in a very positive way. I am involved in the school as much as possible even though I do work and I haven't witnessed any negative issues personally. I speak with the other parents on a regular basis and they help me keep up with anything going on. I know that a lot of parents have pulled their children from the school this year which is very sad. As far as I am concerned, I am keeping my son at OLM but will, of course, be diligent in watching what is happening with him on a daily basis. I would strongly recommend that any parent do the same for their child/children regardless of the school they attend. No place is perfect but if everyone works together, you can make it a wonderful experience and environment for all involved.

If I could give this school zero stars, I would. As a former student, I can say with confidence that the worst decision I've ever made was NOT telling my parents to transfer me out while they still could. The bullying going on in this school is horrifying, and administration has done absolutely nothing to stop it. If you care about your childs self esteem and personal self worth, this is a MAJOR red flag. The favoritism, also, is ridiculous. When I graduated, I went on to a private, prestigious high school not too far away. I soon learned that the learning foundation given to me at OLM was so far below mediocre, I found myself barely passing my classes (something, I assure you, that had never happened before). Eventually, and with much struggle, I picked myself up- but it just goes to show you how much I learned in my five years at their school. I could barely even survive an AP Science class without flunking right out. So if you're reading this as a concerned parent, perhaps looking to enroll your child in a nice catholic school, DO NOT enroll them here. Send them somewhere else- ANYWHERE ELSE. The worst decision I've ever made was not leaving while I still could.

My daughter has attended this school for 3 years and is currently still enrolled. She has been and continues to be an A Average student. However, due to the fact she requires an EPI PEN, she has been told she cannot attend any school field trips unless a parent accompanies her on the trip. This is just a form of discrimination against children with medical conditions. Shame on this Christian faith based school.

Thirty-four children in my child's classroom - need I say more? Some teachers (Ms. Rae-Eckels) are wonderful, but most are mediocre. This year's history teacher was so bad in a prior year that she was moved from 5th to 2nd grade. Now she's teaching middle school history - really? Also, there is a great deal of bullying going on, which the administration has failed to address. Decided not to send my younger child here - its a shame, but they probably need a new principal who is better equipped to deal with some of the issues.

Last modified Our Lady Of Mercy School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8