No rating

St Francis Preparatory School

Private | 9-12 | 2639 students

Living in Queens

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $520,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,480.

Posted October 11, 2014

Definitely not worth the tuition or what they say they promise. The school removes any negative or criticizing comments on this site. It is amazing how they try to keep their reputation from the public. Don't believe their presentation at Open House, We accidently did and will definitely send our other children to another coed Catholic HS in Queens next time.

Posted October 7, 2014

My daughter is a freshman now....absolutely loves it. She is in all honors and is quite challenged. ALOT of homework ..2 to 3 hours per night. She is outgoing and friendly so has had no problem making friends, as well as staying connected with her local neighborhood friends who go there. Some of her friends who take less honors classes have more free time.Just hoping she finds her groove with all the work.Only a month in so I hope. Some here say it is not for the quiet or shy student.I have to say not true.My 2 nieces graduated from Prep. One who is very quiet and sort of a loner loved Prep and graduated with honors. The other kind of quiet,kind of opinionated, felt it was cliquey but not enough to bother her.But she found her own group and did very well too and admits to being happy she went there.So if your quiet child wants to go there, you need to consider their feelings on this.So much to offer and so many options. Big sports school yes, but its not all about that.Many honor and AP classes for the,student who excels,many clubs and service opportunities. Every school has issues- it's high school in the city... anyone tells you theirs doesn't is not telling you the truth.

Posted September 10, 2014

This is my daughter's second year in Prep. It is an amazing school. They offer the children so much and the academics are great. They have a great support system for all children.

Posted June 9, 2014

I am a single parent of a boy and thus school taught him how to conduct himself as a man in the world. Truly an amazing experience for both him and I. So glad he picked to go here.

Posted May 16, 2014

St francis prep/ i find this school to be great i am a sophomore now and i have to say i love it ! there is everything here at prep and if there isn't something here you were interested in they'll make it for you ! i love the teachers and the staff, they challenge me everyday to become a better student and person overall. I find that by my senior year i will be more than well off prepared for college. My sister went to prep, class of 2009, and she says that it prepares you a way that no other school can and college was an easy breeze for her ! i recommend coming to prep , it will be worth everything !!

Posted April 18, 2014

My son was an honor student in the junior high at Kellenberg, where my daughter recently graduated from and transferred to St. Francis as a 9th grader a few years ago. Best decision he\we ever made. Disregard all the silly stereotypes, comments that suburban people can have, Prep is a way better school. My son is not the most outgoing, but he has a nice group of friends (yes, being on a team did help in this area), but he also has friends from some of his other activities at the school, which are endless. One of my son's comments was, a kid really has to not try at all to not succeed academically at this school. There are so many ways to get extra help, from the math center, to the library which offers help in every subject from before school to after school and all free periods in between. Unlike other schools, they truly do care about the success of all of their students, not just the smartest. The college placement office is second to none.. The AP programs\Honors programs are way more numerous than other Catholic schools.There are numerous kids who wind up at top notch colleges, with great financial assistance, in large part due to St Francis Prep.

Posted February 1, 2014

i'm a current student here. aside from some things, this is an amazing school now that i really think about it. it's the biggest catholic school in america, it's filled with ENDLESS opportunities, and help is always there when you need it. great and spirited in sports (best volleyball team in the state), passionate debate/speech, science olympiad teams, and more. has a great service program- campus ministry. numerous out-of-country trips per year and a senior trip to hawaii. has a fitness center which is great for saving money to go to another gym. a humungous library where you can take out any books. a caf that has daily specials, sells smoothies and even chinese food. there's even a chapel. teachers are charismatic, interesting, and have a part of youthfulness in them, but best of all, they truly want to help students succeed. the staff is really really great. now the bad-ish side: like most high schools, the students here can be very judgemental and a little unaccepting in a way if you don't learn to be independent. also very, very clique-y, which for me isn't a bad thing, but you really do have to find your own home/base group to have a good time and be yourself here.

Posted September 13, 2013

So you see. I am a prep student. So far, it has been one of the greatest decisions I've made so far in my life, going to prep. The teachers are simply amazing. The staff and faculty and administration are like our parents. They help you when you need help, and not to mention, some of the young male teachers at this school aren't that bad looking.. ;) Anyways, it gets me pretty upset when "parents" make bad reviews about SFP. What do they know? Are they the ones going to school here? Of course they aren't. Sometimes, I don't think others that have never been to SFP understand how happy the alumni and current seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen are because of St. Francis Prep. Okay? Please stop saying that schools like Molloy or Holy Cross or TMLA or etc. are better than St. Francis Prep. But to us, the St. Francis Preparatory Terriers, SFP will ALWAYS be the best in our eyes. Once a terrier, always a terrier.

Posted September 9, 2013

My daughter is a student there and absolutely loves the school. Great teachers and great kids. I am also an alumni and had a wonderful experience as well. I am surprised to see the negative remarks. It is a very large school, but she feels like part of a family. Our experiences have been wonderful.

Posted May 20, 2013

this school has the worst administration!! not to mention the worst science department!! After 4 years and $30,000 in tuition plus a $450.00 graduation fee, uniforms books etc. Saint Francis prep has the nerve to tell me my daughter she will not get her year book, cap and gown, graduation tickets or diploma if I don't pay them $100.00 for a walk a thon that does not state mandatory!! This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard not to mention when she went to get her year book she was told by the Dean mrs.Coccia if she took it she was stealing meanwhile I paid every penny for it!!How dare she tell my daughter that how dare this School threaten to not give my honor student who's worked so hard to graduate that she won't be graduating with her class or getting her diploma if I don't pay $100 there has to be something against this!!this school is money hungry and they are rude to the parents and students!!

Posted September 16, 2012

Living on a reputation from 20 years ago. The education is horrible. The people are rude. The teachers are terrible and don't know anything about the subjects they are teaching. Do yourself a favor, go to Molloy.

Posted July 5, 2012

My wife and both graduated from prep and now we have a son who goes there. So far, it's 3 for 3 in terms of loving the school and we hope our daughter will soon make it 4 for 4. We also each have two siblings who attended the school, all of whom loved it. Here's what it comes down to--there is not another school in Queens and perhaps in all of NYC that offers such a great combination of outstanding academics, sports and after school activities. Other schools may have one or the other, but not both. I will say this--if you are not interested in sticking around a few days a week after school for some sort of club, sport or other activity, it's probably not the place for you.

Posted March 13, 2012

I went here for a little bit and hated it. The school is way too big and so stereotypical. Jocks and cheerleaders have their own tables at the cafeteria and are the "cool kids." You definitely don't feel like you're apart of the school unless you're on a sports team which is stupid.

Posted September 23, 2011

I'm a senior here right now. I honestly LOVE it here, but this school is definitely NOT for everybody. Don't come to this school or make your child go here if he/she's is socially awkward or antisocial. I've witnessed kids from some of my classes who have literally not said a word since freshman year, and to tell you the truth, it's a bit saddening. Overall, amazing school - but not for shy kids.

Posted August 25, 2011

I absolutely love this school. I love how they have a wide variety of clubs to suit every students needs. I also love the various classes you have to choose from. There are really great programs and classes for students interested in science, social studies, english and even art. Though the school isnt particularly focused on science or art, the departments within the school are widely developed and really do cater to the needs of the students. I grew up loving this school and everyone at prep really does have tons of school spirit.

Posted October 22, 2010

What an outstanding Academic School. Prep is by far the best experience and High School Student can have. Work hard, play hard! Everyone feels like it's a second home. My children have long graduated from Prep and went on to very selective colleges. Prep prepared them for the REAL WORLD! God Bless the Teachers, Principal, and Staff that make this one of the BEST SCHOOLS IN THE COUNTRY!

Posted October 19, 2010

My son loves the school. They have great teachers. The administrator & faculty are very approachable. They offer a wide variety of academics, sports, community service & other activities. They foster school & community spirit.

Posted October 10, 2010

The school fosters tremendous spirit and devotion in the students who absolutely love it there. They offer so much in academics, sports, community help opportunities, the arts and sciences and spirituality that students find there aren't enough hours in the day to fit in all the things they want to be involved in!

Posted August 15, 2010

St . Francis Prep is truly an excellant school. There are lots of AP courses and many activities. The school is big but very organized. You feel welcome there from admission to counselors. It is also an excellant choice for transfer students. I strongly recommend this school.

Posted April 14, 2010

Excellent school ... I would send my daughter all over again.

Asian 16% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Leonard Conway
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn