Queens, NY

Posted June 26, 2013
BULLY CENTRAL!! Things were suppose to be different this year with the new principal. In the end - not so different from last year. I'm glad I got my kids enrolled in another school in the area for September. My friend pulled her three out in May. The kids run this school. Don't be fooled by the presentation. They need to start expelling students - apparently the kids and parents are not affected by the word or threat of suspension. Parents reward kids for bad behavior.

Posted January 03, 2013
Terrible! I don't know who they are still open. If you are in the area I recommend 207. First off, these teachers aren't teaching, they're harassing the students. Next, The behavior is unbelievable. The bullying is just crazy, no one cares. Not gonna mention names, but a someone complained all year and she got "Yes'. They just yes you to death. No one cares over there. If you are looking to switch over to St Helen don't, Stay where you are.

Posted October 15, 2012
Gone to pieces! The Pits! Bottom of the Barrel! What a shame. I have one child in St. Helens now, and one that graduated already. So I've been around a long time. This school is just not the same and I blame the past principal, president and whoever does the hiring around there. They are not looking for the Best, this is just poor management and bad decision making at the chilren's expense! At any other job, the top guy and others would've gotten fired. There is no school spirit left, board members look at you and turn their heads, they don't even smile. Teachers just want to keep their jobs and they "yes" you to death. Bad behavior is ignored. I was told by one of the teachers that the parents don't like when their children are punished. Really?There is a very small student body, so what's the problem? Why can't they manage this school right? It's just not a nice environment anymore and too many things get overlooked. This school just isn't what it use to be. I thought things would change for the better, but I am currently looking for a school to send my child to, it's still early in the year. If I choose a public school, I will not even choose St. Helen for CCD.

Posted September 11, 2012
When I enrolled my son at St. Helen School he was in Pre-K 3, my husband and I were undecided if Catholic School was the way we wanted to go but after a few months we ALL fell in love with the School and the staff! YES we have had a couple of Principals in the past few years but it's only because the School is looking for the BEST possible Leader. My son is one of the top kids in his class, the environment is extremely friendly and approachable, I am extremely satisfied with the education and I would recommend St Helen School to anyone looking to enroll their children in school.

Posted June 28, 2012
My twin girls were in the pre-k 3 class with Mrs. Reggio and unfortunately I cannot give a good review. Two weeks into the school year she informed me that one of my girls were having attention issues and could not follow directions. Every week thereafter I would get the same compliant, never offered any solution or suggestions to the problem but she felt the need to tell me that she was still having difficulty. I then decided that I would get her evaluated to see if she could get some help in school with these issues. My daughter was able to get approved and then received some help in school. Mrs. Reggio was still not happy as I was only able to get one hour of help and not the two that she had wanted. Everytime she came to talk to me she was very condescending and rude and the way she treated my daughter was as if she was an outsider from the class. She has horrible people skills and a few people have come to me saying that she was the same way to them. I just feel bad for any future kids are in her class because it will happen to someone else.

Posted August 24, 2010
This is a WONDERFUL school. The principal, Mr. Doran, is fantastic...it's a great shame this was his last year!! The teachers are equally as wonderful. They are attentive, kind, caring and welcome parent involvement. By far, the BEST catholic elementary school in Queens!!

St Helen School 0

Posted September 27, 2009
My son is in the preK program with Mrs. Downing and was also in the 3 year program with Mrs. Villaggi and Mrs. Oliva. Being that it is the beginning of the school year I am in no position to comment about Mrs. Downing, (who seems very nice). I can say that I loved Mrs. Villaggi last year. She was very loving and caring and firm when she had to be. I never knew the old principal prior to Mr. Doran. He is wonderful. He greets every single child upon entering the school by first name. You could never get that over by PS 207. It's not a crowded school at all. I have my nephew at PS 207 who is in the 6th grade and I have been picking him up since kindergarten. It is sooo crowded. As for now, no probs with St. Helens. I'll keep you posted.

Posted November 04, 2008
St.Helens has an amazing Pre-K Program lead by Mrs. Downing. She is an inspirational person (having lost her husband a few years back) who dedicated her time and spirit to this school. Her teaching methods and drive to see that every child has a first-class experence is what seperates her from any other pre-k teacher out there. I highly reccommend if you're interested in St.Helens for Pre-K, to meet with Mrs. Downing. If you live nearby Howard Beach, ask any parent about her, for she is well know and has a great reputation here in our community.

Posted July 08, 2008
St. Helens's is a wonderful school! Our children will be entering 4th and 2nd grade this fall (Sept. 2008) and we couldn't be happier sending them here. As another poster pointed out - this is a safe school where our children can learn without the distractions that may be found at some other local schools. The level of education is great and my children have learned so much. Thanks to the Principal and the teachers for giving us a 'home away from home' to comfortably send our children to.

Posted September 21, 2007
My children have attended St. Helen school since kindergarten. They are now fifth and seventh graders. My children feel safe and are content every school day. Their teachers are wonderful. Small class size is a major plus. The education is outstanding with individual student care. If your looking for a close-knit family environment St. Helen School is definitely the place to be. This is our first year with a new principal and we are very excited. Always remember what a great gift from God our children are.

St Helen School