PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

We have a guidance counselor who is the sweetest person and deals with bullying as well as the teachers.

I love this school. This is my 7th year at St. Francis of Assisi school and it is my second home. I always feel welcome and this school is one big family. I love it so much. The staff is amazing and I have loved my teachers since day 1. Everyone is so welcoming and I recommend this school.

Develops character: Disagree

At this school they judge you by the type of car you have! If the parents deem you to be less than them they will shun you and your child will be shunned by their children.

Saint Francis of Assisi is an amazing school and it's like family there. Our daughter attended prek there, and loved it. The teachers are wonderful and the principal is one of a kind. We are forever grateful to all the teachers there. It is the best school in Astoria by far.

St.Francis school has a warm, welcoming environment for students and staff. Everyone is very helpful and always puts the interest of the students first. It is truly a beautiful school!

I couldn't be any happier with this school. I have a third grader and a kindengartner in this school. It is their first year at Saint Francis. Respect, discipline and faith are taught to the students. The children come first at Saint Francis school. And I love the activities they offer to the children, it's a very good way to engage them.

This school is so wonderful that I moved my oldest daughter here mid year. The principle is amazing and the school is so progressive with their teaching strategies. Even though we came into the school in an unconventional way my child felt completely at ease. The sense of community is warm and inviting, I feel so lucky to have found St Francis and consider it a privileged to be a part of this school.

This school is by no means the catholic school of "olden days". Education- wise, it is very much a progressive school; which aims at implementing strong values and ethics unto its students. It is a small school, with around 200-250 children per school year (not counting the pre-school and pre-k). The principal and staff are very friendly and are willing to cooperate to immediately to resolve any problems which may arise. The children are respectful and friendly, and this is a very important aspect of the education they receive at this school. The only concern is that there is a very strong parental influence which are separated into two types: progressive and aggresive parents. Progressive parents are concerned with helping the schools in ways which directly affect their children (volunteering, donating, etc). (Personally, I was part of creating new programs at the school) Aggressive parents feel that the school "owns" them in some way and that their children are to be treated differently from other children. Therefore, this creates a very negative environment in the first place and teachers are powerless to influence such parents.

As a parent of two children in St. Francis of Assisi School, I was recently impressed with an activity that was shared in my daughter's first grade class. I thought it was absolutely fantastic to say the very least. The activity was called the "Crumpled Piece of Paper" and explained how harmful words and actions can make us all feel like a crumpled piece of paper sometimes. All the students in the class were asked to participate in the activity with their own piece of paper (which had a classmates name on it and which they then crumpled and ruined). The teacher continued to elaborate the fact that no matter how many times one can apologize for their actions in an effort to 'smoothe out the paper', it will never be the same, and that hurt can stay. What a wonderful way to try and teach a VERY important life lesson to 6 year olds! My daughter was enthralled with this activity and was able to verbalize to me the fact that she totally 'got' the intent of the lesson. It is my belief that the other parts of a child's education, are sometimes as worthy as 'reading, writing, and arithmetic'. It is important to learn to be a good person. I commend this teacher and applaud her effort.

This is a very good school with dedicated teachers and a very involved principle. However, your child has to put up with alot of nonsence, mostly due to facebook harassment and in school bullying. In reference to the review of March 25,2011 ,there is no"IF" about it and it is "such a school" as the other review stated. When someone writes hate messages on your childs desk, then you can tell me "IF" and that I"m wrong. True, the principle does have an open door policy and will meet with you at any time.The entire staff are very professional and helpful.That is mostly why I keep my child there, to get a good education. I will not be chased away by bullies and deprive my child of a good education while the bully goes on to get a good education! No way!

Last modified St Francis Of Assisi School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8