PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Our Lady Of Hope Elementary School 1

Posted October 19, 2011
I graduated from Our Lady of Hope in 2006, and after 10 years in that school, it was the happiest moment of my life getting out of it. OHL is possibly the worst catholic school you can go to, one unknown fact about OHL was that it was founded by members of room,the Italian Mob, and that mindset follows them, they are all about money, my younger brother was assaulted in the class then forced to apologize to the students who assaulted him for looking at them the wrong way which was untrue, because their parents donate large sums of money to the school Most teachers have no passion in their job in example one SS teacher makes fun of and verbally abuses his students because he lacks passion for his job and once put on an improper school play in front of the entire school, that the principal had to interrupt. I can not emphase more and more about how money is everything to Our Lady of Hope and how they do nothing for you the teachers again do not care when i was in OHL i had a 70 average in high school i had a 97 average because teachers actually cared in public school thats another if you plan on going to public school from OHL they hate you and will spite you while your still there

Our Lady Of Hope Elementary School 2

Posted September 18, 2011
I have to say that after having my child attend OLH from Pre K to 4th grade I feel it was the biggest mistake I made...Bullies...incompetant teachers...and if your not someone who gives extra money to the school then you are no one.My child now goes to PS 128 and the teachers could not believe how far behind he was...they didnt understand what if anything he had learned all those years.he is now striving in 128...the teachers are amazing and the children are all accepting of each other...not like OLH if you dont have cool sneakers the kids made fun of you...teach your children religion in your own home.

Posted September 10, 2008
I have two kids attending the school. Both boys and i do not feel that they are treated any different then girls. Is it worth the tuition we spend of course it is - they learn our catholic values, have excellent math program, lots of sports program and the involvement of the parents is amazing. People complain about the afterschool. Be happy there is after school so you do not have to worry who will be watching them in the afternoon. I really do recommends school.

Our Lady Of Hope Elementary School 3

Posted August 25, 2006
I graduated from OLH in 2004 and now I attend one of the top local highschools. OLH is a good school for children under sixth grades because they satisfy all the needs for these younger grades. However certain areas for the upper grades I feel were neglected such as essay writing. Don't get me wrong OLH has many good teachers but they like any school have some that should be removed. One of their programs that I must say is excellent is their math department, as a freshman in high school I was put into sophomore math. If your child struggles in Math they may get left behind. The school is very strict, overly so. The principal doesn't know how to discipline and is overall useless. However the vice-principal is amazing at her job. She is fair and if she is made principal send your child to OLH immediately!

Our Lady Of Hope Elementary School 5

Posted June 27, 2005
first, my 3 children are in olh and i am extremely happy with all the teachers. (it is worth every penny -to have my kids here). my oldest is in the 5th grade. the high percentage as one person wrote is of highly irish decent..not true. it is 95% italian/americans (just a correction as it has no bearing on anything). big on fundraising, close knit community, town hall meetings, etc. as for disciplining boys over girls, nonsense. safety here. drive up to the school in winters, the older kids will walk in your little ones when it snows. there is no 'perfect' school, as of course olh has it's share of problems, as every school does, but i am pleased and very happy with my childrens' progress.

Posted April 13, 2005
There are a number of extracurricular activities available for students, proably the most of any school in the area. parents are very involved in fundraising and other volunteer efforts. However, they do have a space problem, there mobile classrooms and for the year 2004 thru 2005, I know that 2nd grade was reduced to two classes of 40 children in each class.

Posted April 06, 2005
The teachers are really good. The kids love the school and are very well behaved. The demographics are very limited. There is not a lot of cultral diversity.

Posted January 24, 2005
The school is great. A collegue of mine has both kids studying in the school. A very high degree of parent involvement. A high percentage of students come from irish families. Special emphasis on the english program.

Posted December 09, 2004
Parents, please post reviews. I have one child; a girl and I really want to send her to OLH, however, we are zoned for PS 128 which is an amazing school. I a really 'up in arms' as to what to do. I am a active catholic and having a christian home is extremely important to me and I feel that OLH is a safe and nurturing environment for my daughter. If I were to enroll in OLH, I could return to the work force with a sense of security and peace of mind. I realize this is priceless; but is worth over $3,000.00 per year? Money that could be used for college tuition (or ice sculptures at her wedding). To further complicate the matter, I don't feel that she would get any less of an education at PS 128. Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

Our Lady Of Hope Elementary School 3

Posted March 31, 2004
The educational courses offered are good, however, the school does not tolerate any mistakes. They are very strict especially with the boys. They do not have a good after school program and the children are disciplined often or not watched. They do not treat the boys as equally as the girls. They do not offer a boy scout troop as they feel there is not enough room because the girl scouts use the gym and there is not room. If your child is a boy, please consider another school.

61-21 71st Street, Queens, NY  11379
Last modified Our Lady Of Hope Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8