K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The school is now run by a money hungry board. Seems like the principal is their little puppet.

Since the school has turned into an academy it has gone downhill. It is all about the money and less about the children and education. There are over 30 kids per class. Which I could send my kid to public school for free if I wanted my child to attend school with that many children. It is suppose to be a catholic school but majority of the students are non catholic. The school has no art, music or computer classes. Gym has been reduced to once a week. The last 3 years the school has declined and many parents are very unhappy.

The good: They have pretty good teachers (at least the ones that I have been associated with.); very caring principal (my youngest was injured during gym and he took the time to sit with her and console her until I could get there. He also, along with the nurse (who is very nice), called me to check up on her the following day.) The bad: Parking is terrible (be prepared for late slips for the kids and tickets for you); the pre k program (free universal pre k began this year) is really nothing more than free babysitting (you are better off sending your preschooler to The Children's Hour located in the church's basement. They have good 3 yr and 4 yr old programs, though you have to pay for them, where your child will actually learn how to write, etc.); the parent volunteers run amok here (there were times when I seriously wondered who was in charge, the principal or them.); pick up is very unsafe and disorganized (cars are double and sometimes triple parked on the street or are parked in the schoolyard. This makes pick up a little unsafe to me). Overall, OK school, though my kids will be going elsewhere next year (I am very tired of a 5 minute drive and a 40 min(?) "tour" of the neighborhood while looking for parking.)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some teachers are pretty useless when it comes to common sense and going beyond what the "handbook" says. Not all kids learn the same way, this isn't new. Sometimes you have to step out of your "common core box" and teach the CHILD.

My daughter goes here and I feel like the past year it's gone downhill. There is no cafeteria, there is no PTA because the ladies who use to do it bicker too much and can't get along. This is now a nut free school no microwave so it's like what do you expect us to feed our kid? The new principal Mr Corso has a hard time addressing large crowds and gets extremely nervous he cannot deal with confrontation. This year they have become an academy I will give my daughter two months here if there is still no change I'm pulling her out. They definitely do not challenge the kids either. mrs Quinn was brilliant and pushed the kids we need all teachers like Mrs Quinn. Now for second grade it's only one class of 27 really this is like public school because of this free universal pre k they are taking away from the actual hard working paying parents. Very frustrated

There is no doubt that while attending SMGH (prek-8th) I received a quality education - Full scholarship to SFP, admitted to the top high school in Queens (THHS), and a specialized school (QHSSYC). However, I can't help but feel that I could've accomplished so much more had I chosen to attend a good public school. This school has no trips, no cafeteria (eat in the auditorium), a few of the teachers are quite rude (Ms. Quinn comes to mind), and so much time is wasted on religion (can't really blame them, it is a Catholic school). Although, I've made friends for a lifetime. My opinion is this - if you want your child to have a quality education, go onto a top tier HS, take HS classes, send your child elsewhere. Otherwise, if you're looking for a (very) sheltered, safe environment, and a decent education, look no further. I have not regretted attending this school. ~student from class of 2013

horrible first grade teacher mrs quinn should be put down for how mean she is to the children..the new principal cant and will never be half of the old principal mr scanell.

I have two daughters that attend SMGH and they love it. The teachers & staff are very caring and only want the students to succeed. Surprisingly, the parents look out for each others kids as well. These days you don't see much of that. The prinicipal is always involved in everything that goes on. For example, my daughter needed help transitioning from fourth to fifth grade and he was there to find the help she needed. Overall this school is excellent!

i go t school here this school is outstanding words can not describe how nice and welcoming these teachers and staff workers are !!!!!!!

IM a parent of two boys one who just graduated from ST MARY GATES OF HEAVEN and will attend molloy this fall. I also have younger son who will be starting 1st grade this fall at ST MARY GATE OF HEAVEN SCHOOL. I am proud to say that my children have been and will continue to get a well rounded education at S.M.G.H. I am also grateful that the teachers and Mr Scannell has prepared my oldest son for the challenges he may face this year in Molloy. Everyone that is part of S.M.G.H are dedicated individuals who want the best for our children. They go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure our children are prepared for to meet and achieve all state requirements, citywide exams and life outside of S.M.G.H. They encourage the children to be the best they can be. They guide the children in the right direction, by always willing to give up their spare time to tutor the children are to discuss any problem that the children may be having.The staff at this school always reach out to parents and are willing to stay after school to find ways to help children achieve any goals that were set.They are very family oriented and offer many ways to bring principal, teacher, children and parents together. Mr Scannell should be commended for all he does for the children and our community. He is an asset to the school and I am proud that my children are part of this wonderful school. This school should be rated outstanding!

Last modified St Mary Gate Of Heaven School is a Private school that serves grades K-8