No rating

Our Lady Of Lourdes School

Private | PK-8 | 332 students

Living in Queens

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $331,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,390.

Posted May 6, 2014

The education is not up to par with even regular public schools. Academically this school need to be re-evaluated for their performance.

Posted November 2, 2013

Our Lady of Lourdes is the best thing that ever happened to me.It is an amazing school.Great and active school. Very educational and the kids and staff their are very friendly. But the lunch ladies and food are terrible,but everything else is amazing.The principle is very protective and involoved with the kids. I hope you choose oll.

Posted September 15, 2013

our lady of Lourdes should be closed. The education is substandard A and B level students come there and become F students unless you are a minority. The teachers and administrators need to be replaced. When my 2boys left there and went to St. Martin DePorres in Uniondale they could do no wrong. They were in a fantastic school. One even won a respect for life contest in the upper level. Our lady did nothing but teach them what it is to be ripped into my son would be up all night working on homework. And fail at every attempt in that school no one helped him. But at St Martin they were the opposite and extremely supportive. Our happist day is when they left.

Posted August 2, 2013

This school is the definition of pride and money picking. I was a student I will be honest in saying my grades were flawless before I went to this dump. I was on the principal honor list several years running and was reduced to a mere D-student, this made me hate myself and my self-esteem dropped terribly low. The teachers don't care. Period. They will taunt you for not "working hard enough" or "asking questions" IT IS THEIR JOB AS TEACHERS to investigate if a student slips up, find out what the issue may be and work upon it with them progressively. That is how it's done, you don't need to be a teacher to understand that. There are no extra curricular activities to keep you preoccupied outside of the meaningless, ineffective routine word-spit sessions called classes. I even sense a bit of racism from one of the teachers, shameful. The principal is nothing more than ghost, seemingly disappearing when you need her most but always there to pick up the monthly check. The staff are bullies. Overall trash. I luckily picked up my grades back to solid A's again when I switched schools. Don't be tricked. I would gladly recommend Immaculate Conception School though that place is a godsend.

Posted September 10, 2012

When my kids' old school closed down I wanted to put them into a public school but a neighbor told me about this school. I didn't know anything about private schools but I see now why parents pay alot of money for quality education.

Posted June 18, 2012

As a former student i can tell you this, OLL had been one of the worst experiences of my life. I had attended the school from 3rd to 8th grade.From a early age they had labeled me and offered no extra support for my needs.The constant put down inflicted by the teachers had made me very insecure going unto HS.Thankfully my HS,Undergrad and graduate school experiences were much better.Be warned, the teacher at this school are very ignorant and egocentric.

Posted May 27, 2012

I found the school on YouTube! I'm a young single parent and my daughter is an only child and often has trouble getting along with other kids. I only found out about the afterschool program when hbabysitter. Had an emergency. The after school program offered structure that the nbysitter couldn't give. I was shocked it cost less than $15 an afternoon, she got her homework done, she had a snack, and got to play with new friends, by the time she gets home shes we still get to spend time together - studying. The school does give alot of homework but its good to know shes learning alot for her age. I'm not too crazy about some of the parents and teachers involved in the school. But the genuine parents and teachers make up for it.

Posted November 17, 2011

Wow. This school is amazing. In a town like Queens Village you need something like that. OLL has kids of all races and religions. The kids are friendly and the teachers care. Our principal walks around the halls and checks up on our classes to see what we're learning every week. Our teachers really care about our grades and even give us 'Math Help' after school. As a 7th grader it's tough since everyone is telling my friends and I that 'This is the year that counts.,don't mess it up.' Their support really helps us. I've been in this school since Kindergarten and their programs are awesome. Fr. 'M' and Ms. Jane 'R', help out in altar service. Mr. 'N' has an excellent choir along with Mrs. 'I' and her Art Club. We also have a Library Club, Peace Maker Program and a Monitoring Program. The Early Morning Program and After School Program is also helpful to children with busy parents. Need I say more?

Posted October 21, 2011

I see the school must of a had a letter writing campaign to your website, but parents do not be fooled!! This school is terrible!! the teachers are not patient!! They would rather label a child than go the extra mile for them. These teachers would rather put a child down than help them If your child is the perfect student and never needs extra attention send them here, but if your child is a student that may need a little extra you are wasting your money. Which by the way is all they care about is the money!!!

Posted October 11, 2011

Both my daughter's have been in Our Lady of Lourdes since Pre-K. One of them has special educational needs. The teachers are all aware of my daughter's educational issues. They prepare the teacher in the following grade of my daughter's needs. They are all very caring and willing to take the steps necessary to help my child. They motivate her and encourage her to strive for more each and every time. My children have loved each and every one of their teachers throughout the years. Our Lady of Lourdes has a no tolerance policy when it comes to bullying. They have a wonderful Peace Maker program. I feel completely at ease when my children are at school. I know that they are safe. The early morning program and after school program is excellent for working parents like me.

Posted September 30, 2011

I am happy to see all the positive comments. For another viewpoint, join the Facebook group "Our lady of Lourdes, Queens Village Alumni". There you will find an interesting conversation regarding this fine, Catholic institution.

Posted September 29, 2011

As a parent and former student of OLL, I have witnessed this school flourish with students and advancements in technology. I noticed the large number of NON-Catholic families who have enrolled their kids because of the curriculum the school offers. I was fortunate enough to have several opportunities to work with the dedicated parents and faculty members of this phenomenal school, and I must say teaching children in today's day and age is truly a vocation. They strive for excellence and any parent (who are the first teachers for their child) that even considers investing in an A+ Catholic Education for their child deserves a round of applause! I attended Our Lady of Lourdes School over 10 years ago and I was so grateful for the A+ Education I was given I sent my daughter there despite my financial hardship as a young single mom and full time student. Sr. Josephine strives hard to implement the same morals and values she instilled in me when I was a student at Our Lady of Lourdes years ago. Some of faculty members are still the same wonderful teachers that taught me how to optimize every opportunity and push to enhance my skills in reading, writing, and critical thinking.

Posted September 22, 2011

Our Lady of Lourdes is without question a 5-star school. The basic testament to this that many parents are concerned with is the results that the students receive from the NY State Tests and how they compare to the city, state and national averages. Many of the teachers have been there for over 10 years and it is not as uncommon as you would think to find a teacher or two that has been teaching at OLL for 20 years. My daughter spent 9 years there and graduated in 2010. I have twin boys currently in 7th grade who and started there in Pre-School. The way of life that is practiced and taught due to the school being a Catholic School is something that a parent cannot put a price tag on. Values and character development begin very early. I believe that sending your child to a Catholic High School is a terrific idea, but sending them early for me was imperative. Often referred to as The Best Kept Secret in Queens Village , you will be hard pressed to find a better school than Our Lady of Lourdes in Queens Village.

Posted September 22, 2011

I chose Our Lady of Lourdes School because of its reputation. Several family members and friends chose to send their children there. Everybody that I know that has passed through OLL has done very well in life; in all cases going on to higher learning in college and beyond. The teachers are first rate and the students are taught to be respectful and courteous. The Peace Maker Program is a personal favorite. The Middle States Accreditation is vitally important and I have been extremely impressed with the goals they set. The school looks to affect all areas of the lives of the children and actively seek the support of the parents and encourage their involvement. My wife has been active in the Home School Association which raises money for the school and organizes social events for the children. The school is technologically current providing smart boards to all teachers. The principal is a superior educator with much experience and a terrific work ethic. I am very pleased with the progress of my children and would encourage any parent to invest the money in the future of their child.

Posted September 14, 2011

I have know of OLL since 1995 when my little cousins were attending, and hearing from their parents how great this school is, and with that information as soon as I got married and started my family and had my three children I promise to send them to OLL, my first started in 2001 and my second is presently in PREK, and hopefully with GOD's will I will be able to send my third. My over all comments for this school is excellent.

Posted July 26, 2011

My child has been attending Our Lady of Lourdes since pre-school. I am very satisfied with the education he has received. The teachers have done a great job and my son has learned a lot.

Posted July 26, 2011

I registered my child at Our Lady of Lourdes because it is a multi-cultural school. I wanted my child to learn and know about other races and cultures. At Our Lady of Lourdes you could find all races of children, and that's what I wanted for my child.

Posted July 26, 2011

Our Lady of Lourdes has always had a warm nurturing environment. The concern and care that the staff gives to students is truly genuine. The students embrace each other and provide support like a family. Our Lady of Lourdes has set the stage for a wonderful beginning to my children's school years.

Posted July 26, 2011

i registered my son at Our Lady of Lourdes because I heard it was a great school. I asked around and got a great feedback about the school. The teachers and staff take great care of the kids and provide a great education for them.

Posted July 26, 2011

Another parent recommended Our Lady of Lourdes school to me. I visited the school and liked the structure and order. I liked how the teachers explained how to help your child and also to get involved.

Asian 11% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Josephine Barbiere
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn