No rating

Our Lady Of The Angelus

Private | PK-8 | 44 students

Living in Queens

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $236,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted November 21, 2013

I would have give the school 5 starts, but they've made a decision to change principals last year. Mrs. Armstrong is no longer a principal of the school, instead they hired someone who has NO BACKGROUND in education and no experience with children. I am sure he is trying to do his best, but I am afraid that its not good enough for the position he is in. I also noticed that school enrollment had dropped from when Mrs. Armstrong was the principal. This cannot be good for school's financial health. I hope they can get Mrs. Armstrong back somehow, because ever since she left the school is losing ground with a lot of other parents I spoke to. As far as the teachers go, very good, very dedicated people who seem to care deeply about the children in their charge. After school program is GREAT, they require that children do their homework before being allowed to play, this is real school, not babysitting. The kids are generally nice, polite and non aggressive and staff is caring, responsive to parents, and children's needs always come first.

Posted January 10, 2013

Highly recommended alternative to PS 206; small and generally good school, but with small budget & inconsistent standards of academics and teacher professionalism throughout grade levels. We feel OLA has lowered standards in some cases to keep seats filled and tuition checks flowing in. A 6th & 7th grade teacher didn t like our son and the feeling was mutual. Problem persisted into 7th grade (with the exception of Mr. Arra, a wonderful, world-class math & science teacher). Certain teachers dissatisfaction with our son s attitude negatively influenced how they rated his academic performance. We can t afford this when competition to get into the top high schools is so cutthroat. After 7+ years and $35,000 investment in OLA and our son s education, we no longer felt that we were getting a sufficient return on our investment. Nor did we feel, when we brought this matter to the principal s and teachers attention, that the (new) principal regards parents as the shareholders, investors, and customers that they are. Therefore, we removed our son from OLA in mid-7th grade and transferred him to Junior High School 157. He has adjusted well and we are all glad to have made the change.

Posted October 19, 2012

I'm starting to think it's not a good school now things are changing very much with this new principal. I personally would like the old principal back! Teachers are GREAT! I love all the ones my child had before this year.

Posted February 10, 2012

This school is great. The teachers, nurse and principle really care about the students. They have an excellent afterschool program actually run by teachers. There is a large, grassy yard for recess and extracurricular sports and activities. The students do well as they go on to high school. There are always letters about graduates making honor roll and getting into great high schools. Transferring my kid here from public was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Posted April 29, 2010

This school is great!! It has a wonderful principal and teachers!! They are very dedicated to their students. The school is small which I believe it makes it better managed. My daughter loves her school and if she is happy and doing well academically and emotionally, then I'm very happy!!

Posted January 17, 2010

I love this school, Mrs. Santa Maria, Tracy, Deck, Zoufaly, but I think that some teachers could do better. I really don't like it when my daughter comes home saying that she didnt understand a word in math or science or almost fell asleep in gym. thxs for my regards.

Posted October 11, 2009

This is my daughters' 4th year in the school. She is definitely ahead of her peers in speech and overall knowledge of a variety of subjects. She has taken spanish for 3 yrs, learned to play the piano and the recorder. Participated in t-ball and now is on the pee wee basketball team. I highly recommend the school. The teachers and principal cares about the students.

Posted March 2, 2008

Our principal in OLA is outstanding and both the parents and students know it. We are blessed by her, her dedicated teachers and office staff. I believe the school will keep getting better (my gut feeling is that it's the best school in existence in our area). Our principal has introduced a lot of programs (music, science fair, more field trips, etc) to further enhance learning. It is also a place where you feel your child is safe. The parents are very involved in school activities.

Posted February 26, 2008

It's very cozy environment, with only one class per grade. And I agree, the teachers are very dediated and OLA is a terrific school!

Posted September 17, 2007

OLA is a terrific school! The children are motivated and the teachers are dedicated! The principal is down to earth and very involved. Overall, I am very pleased with the education my son has received at OLA!!

Posted June 4, 2007

Its just a very nice school. The Prinicipal is great and the teachers are dedicated. I couldn't ask for more. Parent involvement is key in this school.

Asian 29% N/A
Two or more races 5% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Joan M. Armstrong
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9805 63rd Drive