PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

most of my kids teachers have been strong, but then some of them have been out of this world. My eldest's second and third grade teachers were caring and engaged and engendered from him a deep resect and admiration. He still talks about his second grade teacher who is the gold standard as far as he is concerned.

Amount of homework: Agree

From kindergarten up, they assign homework. It is not a lot in the beginning, just a worksheet or two (with a couple questions on them) but it is enough to acclimate them to the idea of having to work at their school work at home.

I have two sons who attend this school and am very pleased with the education they are receiving and the environment in which they are learning. I have read the previously posted reviews and understand why these parents are dissatisfied, but it is not a fault with the school. St Rose demands a high level of engagement from both its students and their parents. This is sometimes a challenge but it is the reason why I am paying tuition and not sending my kids to public school, because I want them challenged academically. Also the school teaches responsibility and self discipline, which are not easy lessons for any of us, but our difficulty with these lessons is rarely the fault of the teacher. My eldest was diagnosed with ASD and very easily could have been asked to find a different academic placement, but the school has stuck by him and helped him grow and learn. The teachers and the staff are stern but caring and everything you want in the people charged with looking after you child. He is thriving and happy which is exactly what I want for him. The tuition is reasonable, and there is a discount for additional children. In an era when catholic schools are shuddering left and right, St Rose has survived due in part to its reputation for academic rigor, in part because it does what it can to hustle and make money to pay for itself, and in part because the principal is bound and determined to keep it going. As to the principal, she has high standards and can come across as tough, but she is a fierce advocate for the children. And you have to be tough in that position. Parents that want to make excuses for their children (or themselves) and want their kid to be given a trophy for just showing up will find that this is not the right environment for them.

My daughter went to this school and was treated ungreatfully, and the kids there treated her badly and unexpectedly! The teachers are great but only a few were kind-hearted and respected, but the principal gives so many expensive tutions! and the principal is making everything so expensive! I'm losing more money than ever! And $2 dressdowns?! the principal is blaming children, and makes a big deal of a piece of food on the floor. I don't enjoy this school whatsoever and they mostly want money!

This school is good, if you want your child in a great environment, spiritual. But in my opinion they lack in teaching, and helping your child to succeed. Instead of working with your child,they are quick to tell you it's your child's fault,he or she is failing. I believe they are more focus on the money,which I think is just as important,but if your child is failing,you won't hear of it until it's already bad. I don't think they teach. If your child is not a born genius,don't expect this school to make them (children) into one. Gone are those days when teacher teach. I don't think I would recommend this school to anyone. And I'm saying this with a heavy heart,because I really loved this school.

Horrible experience. Instructor staines and the the principal horrible. Greedy for money and constant negative feedback about my son who attended pre-k. I even had my son checked by the nys board of education and after a series of tests my son passed every single test given. Constant reports of my son misbehaving at age 4. I'm not saying my son is angel but far from being Dennis the menace. The instructor was new and felt my son has psychological problems. Well again the NYS board of education deemed him as normal, his pediatrian deemed him as normal and so does his current school in Long Island deemed him also perfectly normal. High grades in tests and quiet in classroom. Teacher states " a pleasure to have my son in class. Now he is going to third grade with awesome grades. So my review is real and my opinion. I will never have any of my children nor do I recommend this school to anyone. Waste of money, time and made me feel like my son was incompetent.

This school is absolutely one of the most judgmental schools possible. The big-nosed principle doesn't understand that everyone comes from a different background, especially a socioeconomic one, all she cares about is money. There is no family values at this school, it instills fear in their students in order for them to behave. The staff is also very spiteful when my daughter was applying for a middle school for gifted children the administration and people in the office screwed up her application on purpose, as well as submitted false attendance records to show she's excessively absent. That jeopardized my daughter's chance of admission just because they didn't want another child escaping their brainwashing techniques. Don't send your child here, especially for the insanely high tuition you have to pay for an elementary school!

Very good school. However, when you have 6th- 8th graders in the same enviorment of pre-K-5th graders, they would be treated as little kids and not the full growth of maturing young adults. They also have a Principal that is very stern and gets into the business of others, in which she has no business for. The Principal also looks for strictness and not the full ways of learning and responsiblity. However, there is a sense if family and good equality of the students.

My daughter has attended St Rose for two years now and I absolutely love the school! The teachers and staff are caring and the small school allows them to know every child's name. They also have an after school program which keeps your child up until 6 pm if needed. That has saved me on the days I am forced to work late! My daughter is eager to begin her 3rd year!

This is the worst school I have ever seen. I have 4 children and have never experienced a school so judgemental. The principal doesn't accept the ideal that all kids are different and learn at a different pace. This school doesn't communicate on academics but heavily stress finances and rules of the school. They told me that my 4 year old pre k son had to be left back cause he didn't meet the standards for k. But yet they never gave heeomework. Who set standards for k? Absolutely the worst school ever. They need to be investigated and audited.

Last modified St Rose Of Lima School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8