No rating

Immaculate Conception School

Private | PK-8 | 300 students

Living in Queens

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $600,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

Posted July 30, 2014

I agree with the previous comments. The school allows a large group of strangers during school hours, they literally leave the door open for those people to go in and out. The principal should not run this school, she is a business woman who is in charge of the school's finances basically. They won't spend a dime to ensure the school is safer, they don't even spend money on paper towels! Paper towels have to be sent in by the parents! The principal responds to the Monsignor of the church, he is the one who makes all the decisions. He also makes the decision to allow a group of strangers in the cafeteria because they pay money to hold those bingo events there. So go figure, any other school would be better. Anyone could walk into this school and take your child.

Posted July 23, 2014

This school is literally a prison. My child, at one point, locked herself in her room begging to not go back. My other child, who was in pre-k, and just got out of Kindergarten, was pulled out of this school. She is about to go into 1st grade, and can't even identify all the letters of the alphabet yet! During lunch, the younger classes are forced to sit alone, boy-girl-boy-girl, one chair apart. Once, one of the pre-schoolers was given detention for talking while the principal was talking! He was only 3 years old!! The bullying is unacceptable. One child in a grade lower than my eldest was punched in the face, and kneed in an unmentionable area. As for my eldest child, she was subject to endless verbal abuse. The lateness rules are ridiculous, and they let strangers into the school every Wednesday, during school hours! We have sent the principal many emails, none of which are replied to. Don't send your kid to IMMAC, if you love them.

Posted May 4, 2014

The first grade teacher is so young she can hardly relate to the individual needs of the children in her class. The school promotes compassion but they lack it in the everyday interaction with the students. First graders are sent to time out for talking during snack time. There is no playing during recess. Anyone who runs during recess gets sent to detention. Recess takes place in a narrow alley that has doors that lead to the church and parishioners walk through that alley during recess. There is no lock on the gate. If you are considering this school for its art program, think again, children are not allowed to paint with paints as it is "too messy" as said by the young art teacher, who has no teaching background nor studies but was hired by the school because she is the school secretary's daughter. The school doesn't tell parents that when they hold their open house! Parents have a right to know this, as they charge a tuition based on the programs and "caring environment" they claim to provide. Think again. Talk to parents, not just the ones that are involved with the school and will not say any of this because they are afraid to be singled out.

Posted May 3, 2014

This school does not teach healthy eating habits, they could care less what children eat and are not open to change their ways about it. They in fact. offer children ice cream every day, they offer sodas, the principal will literally sit in the cafeteria during lunch time and will offer those food items to students over a mic. They of course, make money from the sales of those items. The school is centered in their fundraising strategies and that is their main concern during the year.

Posted April 17, 2014

Great school! Caring teachers. Every teacher and principle knows each kid by name. My children do well and are very happy.

Posted October 2, 2013

I am glad that I read some of these reviews as I considered putting my daughter in the Pre-K program since we live so close to the school. My husband and I toured the school in the spring and were almost sold. After reading the reviews, I started to pay better attention and ultimately, chose another school. First off, I pass this school every day only to see a bunch of unkempt, unruly children. Foul language, skirts so short it's indecent. The straw that broke the camel's back was walking through the alley one day my daughter noticed that a class was going on in the gymnasium. She ran over to look in the window. When I joined her, I witnessed a boy fall and get kicked in the stomach while he was on the floor. The upsetting thing was that there was no teacher present when this happened. In good conscience, I couldn't put my child in this school. Hopefully things will improve, but right now, I am happy with my choice to travel a little further for peace of mind.

Posted August 4, 2013

This school is a prison. The teachers are too old and their teaching techniques are outdated. There is no science class since their teacher just sits on her chair and tells the kids to read their textbooks and not ask questions. English is a joke. One book was read last year. ONE. Math was repetitive. Only reaching the fourth chapter for one whole year. What are you doing to out kids. They are way behind by the time they go to high school. I researched the stats of a recent graduating class. Out of 32 kids, 7 kids dropped out of high school. They were not able to catch up. They were unprepared. That's 20 percent. I fortunately switched my child to another middle school. What a difference! I am able to email teachers with a response within hours. Some if the teachers give their personal phone numbers. They truly care. If you love your child, don't put them in Immac.

Posted May 16, 2013

IN REF TO THE REVIEW of April 18, 2013: There is no wrong or right in a forum like this! I am not ridiculing anyone. This is my opinion and my experience at Immac and it hasn't been a bad one for the most part. My opinion states that the school has improved over the years. Now my opinion to "bullying" again is from what my children have told and from what I have seen, and if it is far more serious then that, then shame on the principal, the teachers, the class parents, etc for not reporting or doing something about it. Now as far as you calling my daughter "the Queen of Sheba" with her nose up in the air, when she's with her clique on Ditmars ~ Welcome to the preteens duh LOL to you! Look at you shame shame picking on a child! Is it you she doesn't say hello to? You take her shyness as being stuck up lol ...My daughter has respect and I'm proud to have her as my daughter!!! Wow to you with all the other negative comments here, you singled mine out and it was just to make fun of a child who in "your" opinion is disrespectful and the "Queen of Sheba" on an open forum who's being a "bully" now?? hmmmmm... Well you have yourself a great day!

Posted January 25, 2013

We like the teachers there, however, we don't agree with some school practices, they have a community group using the school cafeteria during school hours. We asked and requested they remove that group from their agenda during school hours, their answer was that they will not "kick out the group", as they "like them". The group consists of 300-400 senior citizens, and the school has no knowledge of any of the member's names or background history who are regularly attending those meetings, and refuse to get that information from the group they rent their cafeteria during school hours. That among other safety issues is our main concern. The principal won't make the necessary changes to make the school building and practices safer ones. Another concern is that we picked the school because it raves they allow kindergarteners "play time" , as opposed to public schools where children do not get play time, and recess, they get "table play", the children are not allowed to stand up, and the teacher brings some toys she picks for each table, the kids play with those toys and are not allowed to pick any other toys nor get up to socialize with the rest of their classmates.

Posted January 23, 2013

It's been several years that I have removed my child from Immac. She was bullied for several years and I had been promised that it was being resolved. After another complaint from my daughter, I decided to inconspicuously watch the school yard from across the street. She was being punched in the stomach and no one came to her for help. The mothers were yapping by the gate. Besides this, the school was more like a babysitting rather than a educational environment. I had passed by her classroom one day and kids were jumping on the deals and "swimming" on the floor. I watched for a while and no one stopped these kids. The science teacher was too obsessed with her dollhouse building which means they never had a real science class. Because my daughter was quiet I was told that she needed to be evaluated. It was surprising that they have themselves the authority to make this call without having proper credentials. My daughter is now in another school and is actually the captain of a debate team and captain of her basketball team. She is a high honor student and I often compare the academics that she is doing to others on Immac. They are way behind. Good luck to you all!

Posted January 21, 2013

Terrible. Took my son out just short of graduation because of the principal and teachers. No follow through at all. Unreturned phone calls and unreturned emails are the norm, unfortunately. I suspect now the faculty and staff are planning for the open houses to lure new parents and students with the promises of "love and family." There is no family atmosphere. Oh, and by the way, REPEATED fighting and hitting in the school yard by one student to another is bullying whether it makes headlines or not. Maybe the school needs to make the news in order for the principal to properly address the problem. Save money and send your kids to public school.

Posted September 10, 2012

These reviews are amusing to say the least. I'll start by saying that I am a satisfied parent. My kids are happy in school. They like their teachers and don't have many complaints. There is DEFINITELY a bullying problem in this school, no doubt about that. The school is not perfect and the principal does not always address my concerns in a timely fashion, but so far I have never thought about transferring my kids. That said, I am giving the school a low rating because there are so many unhappy parents and children. It's apparent in the reviews here. What's worse is there is no empathy towards these parents who are voicing their concerns. After every 10 bad reviews a glowing review surfaces and the writer passive agressively takes jabs at the complaining parents. I like the school, but it's not my job to come on here and defend it. One dissatisfied parent or child is one too many for such a small school. I'm sure the staff reads here because it's obvious that the first few reviews were written by staffers. If they would aknowledge these concerns, I will gladly come back and adjust my rating. To the unhappy parents and children, I am sorry that you had a bad experience.

Posted June 8, 2012

I really don't understand all the bitterness towards Immac. My child LOVES the School, teachers, staff, principal and has many, many wonderful classmates which grew into true friendships. My child comes home everyday talking about Immac and her day, I wouldn't ever think about sendong her anywhere else. As a parent, I couldn't be HAPPIER with Immac. Immac does more then teach school work they teach and preach about responsibilty, make the right decisions, community service, caring for each other and most importantly they develop the child's love for GOD.

Posted May 30, 2012

My 6 year old said to me with tears in his eyes after I withdrew him from this school ."Thank you mom. That place was a prison."

Posted April 22, 2012

I have not re-registered for next year as I am on the fence about sending my child back. This year has been frustrating because I cannot get the principal or teacher to have a constructive meeting with me. In short, my child has been the brunt of major verbal abuse and any time I try to discuss in order to come to a resolution I am dismissed. I understand that the principal and teacher are busy, but so am I. I can honestly write that I am not feelingpart of a "family." I will continue trying to resolve these problems, but I just may end up somewhere new in September. Not sure.

Posted February 15, 2012

Immaculate Conception School is unique and truly a great place for a child to learn to grow and mature in his or her academic and faith life. With that said, yes, it is a school, so there also come some challenges and struggles along the way. No school is ever perfect! But Immc is committed to strive for excellence.

Posted June 7, 2011

Another great year coming to an end. I love what Immac teaches, preaches and the frienships my daughther has made over the last few years. School has excellent teachers and all are willing to go above and beyond.

Posted May 17, 2011

Great school, great teachers, great values, and great family like relationship. That's the reason Immac is still open and going strong!!!

Posted April 8, 2011

We love Immac and to read some of the comments below, it is hard to believe my kids attend the same school. Anyway, the school's record stands for itself. My daughter is graduating this year. she and many of her classmates have one scholarships so you definitely know that the academics at Immac are excellent. They have science fairs, tutoring, lots of writing opportunities and both the ela and math program is highly regarded. Immac gives a lot of work but they really go out of their way to help if there is a problem with it . They do balance the curriculum very nicely, field trips, projects etc. There is a big emphasis on service and respect. Very good atmosphere. My kids love it

Posted February 15, 2011

I had my son there, and I took him out due to the constant bullying by one of the 6th grade teachers. The principal has no idea what it is to run a school. There have been so many situations and never an adequete answer from her or the teachers. There are only a few really good teachers. The principal does not know how to manage her teachers, does not know how to return calls or emails. If you do get to finally meet with her she is clueless to anything that happens and does not investigate any complaints, she has 4 separate parents complaining about the same teacher. Immac is not what it used to be and it is a shame how much this school has changed. Afterschool program, the teachers sit around and do nothing and on the coldest day, I have seen a teacher send a kid in a t-shirt to go open the door for a parent because they were too lazy, anyone could just come in and take a child and the teachers would be clueless . Half of these teachers should have been retired. I have spoken with other parents who agreed and have had similar complaints. One teacher has referred to her students as idiots! Ridiculous

Asian 9% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Eileen Harnischfeger
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

21-63 29th Street