Queens, NY

Posted September 24, 2014
My heart is broken to remove my child from this school, but I'm going to because she's more than unhappy there. She's use to be a very social and happy girl in her previous school, whoever....she lost all of her self confidence in here in 2 weeks. She has no friends whatsoever. No one want's to talk to her. Unbelievable. And makes me so sad. So I'm removing her.

Posted September 24, 2014
We have been at Immac for 5 years straight now. We have seen lots of excellent changes made in the way of security and a more challenging curriculum since we have been here. We are grateful for the weekly music, art, computer and gym classes. I find my children connected with a secure sense of themselves that I see thier school developing and fostering in them. I am grateful for this school.

Posted July 30, 2014
I agree with the previous comments. The school allows a large group of strangers during school hours, they literally leave the door open for those people to go in and out. The principal should not run this school, she is a business woman who is in charge of the school's finances basically. They won't spend a dime to ensure the school is safer, they don't even spend money on paper towels! Paper towels have to be sent in by the parents! The principal responds to the Monsignor of the church, he is the one who makes all the decisions. He also makes the decision to allow a group of strangers in the cafeteria because they pay money to hold those bingo events there. So go figure, any other school would be better. Anyone could walk into this school and take your child.

Posted July 23, 2014
This school is literally a prison. My child, at one point, locked herself in her room begging to not go back. My other child, who was in pre-k, and just got out of Kindergarten, was pulled out of this school. She is about to go into 1st grade, and can't even identify all the letters of the alphabet yet! During lunch, the younger classes are forced to sit alone, boy-girl-boy-girl, one chair apart. Once, one of the pre-schoolers was given detention for talking while the principal was talking! He was only 3 years old!! The bullying is unacceptable. One child in a grade lower than my eldest was punched in the face, and kneed in an unmentionable area. As for my eldest child, she was subject to endless verbal abuse. The lateness rules are ridiculous, and they let strangers into the school every Wednesday, during school hours! We have sent the principal many emails, none of which are replied to. Don't send your kid to IMMAC, if you love them.

Posted May 04, 2014
The first grade teacher is so young she can hardly relate to the individual needs of the children in her class. The school promotes compassion but they lack it in the everyday interaction with the students. First graders are sent to time out for talking during snack time. There is no playing during recess. Anyone who runs during recess gets sent to detention. Recess takes place in a narrow alley that has doors that lead to the church and parishioners walk through that alley during recess. There is no lock on the gate. If you are considering this school for its art program, think again, children are not allowed to paint with paints as it is "too messy" as said by the young art teacher, who has no teaching background nor studies but was hired by the school because she is the school secretary's daughter. The school doesn't tell parents that when they hold their open house! Parents have a right to know this, as they charge a tuition based on the programs and "caring environment" they claim to provide. Think again. Talk to parents, not just the ones that are involved with the school and will not say any of this because they are afraid to be singled out.
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 03, 2014
This school does not teach healthy eating habits, they could care less what children eat and are not open to change their ways about it. They in fact. offer children ice cream every day, they offer sodas, the principal will literally sit in the cafeteria during lunch time and will offer those food items to students over a mic. They of course, make money from the sales of those items. The school is centered in their fundraising strategies and that is their main concern during the year.

Posted April 17, 2014
Great school! Caring teachers. Every teacher and principle knows each kid by name. My children do well and are very happy.

Posted October 02, 2013
I am glad that I read some of these reviews as I considered putting my daughter in the Pre-K program since we live so close to the school. My husband and I toured the school in the spring and were almost sold. After reading the reviews, I started to pay better attention and ultimately, chose another school. First off, I pass this school every day only to see a bunch of unkempt, unruly children. Foul language, skirts so short it's indecent. The straw that broke the camel's back was walking through the alley one day my daughter noticed that a class was going on in the gymnasium. She ran over to look in the window. When I joined her, I witnessed a boy fall and get kicked in the stomach while he was on the floor. The upsetting thing was that there was no teacher present when this happened. In good conscience, I couldn't put my child in this school. Hopefully things will improve, but right now, I am happy with my choice to travel a little further for peace of mind.

Posted August 04, 2013
This school is a prison. The teachers are too old and their teaching techniques are outdated. There is no science class since their teacher just sits on her chair and tells the kids to read their textbooks and not ask questions. English is a joke. One book was read last year. ONE. Math was repetitive. Only reaching the fourth chapter for one whole year. What are you doing to out kids. They are way behind by the time they go to high school. I researched the stats of a recent graduating class. Out of 32 kids, 7 kids dropped out of high school. They were not able to catch up. They were unprepared. That's 20 percent. I fortunately switched my child to another middle school. What a difference! I am able to email teachers with a response within hours. Some if the teachers give their personal phone numbers. They truly care. If you love your child, don't put them in Immac.

Posted May 16, 2013
IN REF TO THE REVIEW of April 18, 2013: There is no wrong or right in a forum like this! I am not ridiculing anyone. This is my opinion and my experience at Immac and it hasn't been a bad one for the most part. My opinion states that the school has improved over the years. Now my opinion to "bullying" again is from what my children have told and from what I have seen, and if it is far more serious then that, then shame on the principal, the teachers, the class parents, etc for not reporting or doing something about it. Now as far as you calling my daughter "the Queen of Sheba" with her nose up in the air, when she's with her clique on Ditmars ~ Welcome to the preteens duh LOL to you! Look at you shame shame picking on a child! Is it you she doesn't say hello to? You take her shyness as being stuck up lol ...My daughter has respect and I'm proud to have her as my daughter!!! Wow to you with all the other negative comments here, you singled mine out and it was just to make fun of a child who in "your" opinion is disrespectful and the "Queen of Sheba" on an open forum who's being a "bully" now?? hmmmmm... Well you have yourself a great day!

Immaculate Conception School
21-63 29th Street, Queens, NY  11105
(718) 728-1969
Last modified Immaculate Conception School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Immaculate Conception School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top