PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted February 29, 2016
Most of the teachers were good except the one we go felt she had to tell children under 8 years old that they "LOST THE GRACE OF GOD" when they did something wrong.

Posted September 15, 2015
I strongly agree with the parent review dated Sept. 15, 2015. It's on point. The staff should be knowledgeable of how to act before the bullying takes place. If they know a certain child is prone to be bullied, keep an eye on that child and watch how the others interact with him or her. Get to know your students! Learn about each of them, make it a point to pay extra attention to specific situations being brought to your attention, talk to students about including everyone, talk to students about what it means to be a good person, don't just cite saints or bible passages without using them to empower the children that are in your care for so many hours daily. Have your staff be more sensitive to parental concerns that are really being overlooked by the school, such as cleaning the sidewalks and keeping them clear when it snows. I so agree with the parent who said it, think about who you hire as a teacher! You are favoring sisters, aunts, or someone's daughter. And by doing so, are you perhaps forgetting that the main idea is for you to hire the best possible teacher? Think before you allow the teacher's nephew to purchase pants from old navy but the rest must spend unthinkable amounts of money for a pair of pants from the uniform company you pick. Think again if you will allow someone's son or nephew to purchase shoes online, while the rest must make a trip to a shoe store that is so inconvenient to everyone but hey, the principal's cousin owns it. Think again, because the school is not your personal business, and you are forgetting that parents pay a tuition so their child gets a good education, treated with respect, equality and to be taught by teachers that have a background and take interest in helping kids during times when their behavior needs guidance. Please think about this, school staff, as you read this review. I hope other parents will take the time to give their input as well.

Posted September 15, 2015
The real issue is not the actual bullying or the nepotism or the lack of security or the filthy bathrooms or the lice epidemic or the fact that the sidewalks and lot are rarely salted in the winter leading to falls, although these issues were enough to make me send my child to another school. The issue is how the school, predominantly the people in the office, respond to such things. Agreed that no school is perfect, however, at the very least, be reactive to parental concerns. Better still, be proactive before something becomes a concern. If you see the sidewalks are slippery, have the janitor throw down some salt. If a teacher is unaware of his/her favoritism towards a student, bring it to his/her attention before it becomes a problem. Perhaps think twice before you hire someone's sister, daughter, mother. If you know of a child who has been/is being bullied, keep an eye on him/her at recess. I understand that kids today tend to be a little sheltered, but that's no reason for them to feel unsafe in school, especially a school where you need to pay tuition. I will say I did like the teachers very much minus the math teacher who told my son to watch math "videos" when he asked for extra help. This situation, along with the apathy of the administration, is why I transferred my child.

Posted September 15, 2015
If you're not part of the old time Astoria club, your child gets pushed aside.

Posted August 19, 2015
This school benefits the children of the parents who volunteer regularly at the school or whose parents or aunts are teachers there. Such is the case with the fourth grade teacher, she has her daughter and her nephew enrolled in the school. Harsh rules apply to the students in this school, like being sent to detention if their parent forgets to have their child wear a belt (for the boys), that child gets sent to detention, but if the child related to teacher forgets, nothing happens. This is a school that has not advanced in their teaching techniques, they use old catholic punishments in order to impose their authority. They contribute to student favoritism, and therefore make the rest of the students feel unequal. To the parent who states this is such a great school, well, there is no perfect school that is a true statement, but this school encourages favoritism, punishes children for their parents' mistakes, and is not child centered. Their focus is on fundraising, punishment, and making money. If whoever went to this school turned out ok, went on to college, etc, that is not a way to measure a school's quality of education, you could be a smart person. Just think of what methods you may find acceptable to raise your children at home. There are so many methods of education proven to help a child develop, this school uses none of those, they just rely on punishment and favoritism.

Immaculate Conception School 5

Posted June 26, 2015
In response to the individual that stated on June 25th that my review dated June 23rd is from a staff member is completely incorrect. I am a Compliance Officer and a mother of 2 Immac students and a former grad. Bullying is a part of life that needs to be dealt with at school and home. My daughters are upset at times over things but I cannot blame the school for that. I have to deal with it as a parent and work with the school not fight with them. I had concerns regarding a teacher, I requested a meeting with the principal, she listened to my concerns and acted accordingly. Difficulties will arise wherever you go, high school, college and work. Its how you teach your children to cope with those issues that will ultimately define their insecurities, fears and eventual success.

Posted June 25, 2015
I would like to add my review as I believe the two newest reviews are being posted by the school staff. Reading the reviews those two reviewers are criticizing, and their comments, I realize that they state they attended that school and their children did too and went on to attend good schools and colleges. Later on, it is stated that the person who saw the doors wide open to the bingo players on Wednesdays, should have looked closer because there were two men guarding the two doors. How can you know that unless you were there? You attended the school. Your children did too? And you can assure readers that the doors were being guarded on that day? I am a parent of a former student and I can assure you that the school never guards the doors. Not one single door during Wednesdays. They will probably do so now for a few Wednesdays, but they don't stick to that because they are not properly keeping the school's safety guidelines. I mean, having strangers, meaning anyone walk in the school during school hours? Where else does that happen? You also suggest kids get hurt, kids get bullied, and it is part of life and kids learn and grow thanks to those situations? Maybe it was your case since you attended Immac., but I am a psychologist and I can tell you that bullying, and getting hurt in school should not be acceptable situations and in no way do those situations help a developing child. What is acceptable to you should be unacceptable to the school and its representatives. They are overcrowded and more bullying goes on than on other schools. As to the comment accusing parents of keeping their kids in a bubble, you seem to be referring to a particular parent, or does a parent who changes schools or disagrees with this school keep their children in a bubble? I would say that they strive for a better level of education, where their personas, their feelings and their expectations of a safe and nurturing environment are not ones that include bullying, getting hurt, nor having a bunch of strange neighbors walk freely into the school. With that said, I hope all parents considering this school will walk by on Wednesdays around 12:20pm, and will, if they choose this school, closely monitor how their child develops and how they feel about the school. Parents, note those reviewers are coming from school staff!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 23, 2015
I am an Immac graduate. My foundation there set me on the path that led me to graduate from Fordham University with honors and to my success as a Compliance Officer at a Hedge Fund. My two daughters are currently enrolled and they are thriving. Great loving environment. Is it perfect? No it is not but no where will you find perfection. Children are not exposed to strangers, the school is not a prison. I in fact find it quite ironic that those individuals criticizing the academic quality of the school have the most grammatical errors in their posts. I am sure there are issues with bullying. The teachers can do so much. You will find issues with bullying everywhere. It is a sad and difficult aspect of growing up. Regardless, I am happy with the school. My children are safe and happy. I am an example of what the school has to offer.

Posted September 24, 2014
My heart is broken to remove my child from this school, but I'm going to because she's more than unhappy there. She's use to be a very social and happy girl in her previous school, whoever....she lost all of her self confidence in here in 2 weeks. She has no friends whatsoever. No one want's to talk to her. Unbelievable. And makes me so sad. So I'm removing her.

Immaculate Conception School 5

Posted September 24, 2014
We have been at Immac for 5 years straight now. We have seen lots of excellent changes made in the way of security and a more challenging curriculum since we have been here. We are grateful for the weekly music, art, computer and gym classes. I find my children connected with a secure sense of themselves that I see thier school developing and fostering in them. I am grateful for this school.

21-63 29th Street, Queens, NY  11105
(718) 728-1969
Last modified Immaculate Conception School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8