Queens, NY

Posted June 26, 2015
In response to the individual that stated on June 25th that my review dated June 23rd is from a staff member is completely incorrect. I am a Compliance Officer and a mother of 2 Immac students and a former grad. Bullying is a part of life that needs to be dealt with at school and home. My daughters are upset at times over things but I cannot blame the school for that. I have to deal with it as a parent and work with the school not fight with them. I had concerns regarding a teacher, I requested a meeting with the principal, she listened to my concerns and acted accordingly. Difficulties will arise wherever you go, high school, college and work. Its how you teach your children to cope with those issues that will ultimately define their insecurities, fears and eventual success.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 25, 2015
I would like to add my review as I believe the two newest reviews are being posted by the school staff. Reading the reviews those two reviewers are criticizing, and their comments, I realize that they state they attended that school and their children did too and went on to attend good schools and colleges. Later on, it is stated that the person who saw the doors wide open to the bingo players on Wednesdays, should have looked closer because there were two men guarding the two doors. How can you know that unless you were there? You attended the school. Your children did too? And you can assure readers that the doors were being guarded on that day? I am a parent of a former student and I can assure you that the school never guards the doors. Not one single door during Wednesdays. They will probably do so now for a few Wednesdays, but they don't stick to that because they are not properly keeping the school's safety guidelines. I mean, having strangers, meaning anyone walk in the school during school hours? Where else does that happen? You also suggest kids get hurt, kids get bullied, and it is part of life and kids learn and grow thanks to those situations? Maybe it was your case since you attended Immac., but I am a psychologist and I can tell you that bullying, and getting hurt in school should not be acceptable situations and in no way do those situations help a developing child. What is acceptable to you should be unacceptable to the school and its representatives. They are overcrowded and more bullying goes on than on other schools. As to the comment accusing parents of keeping their kids in a bubble, you seem to be referring to a particular parent, or does a parent who changes schools or disagrees with this school keep their children in a bubble? I would say that they strive for a better level of education, where their personas, their feelings and their expectations of a safe and nurturing environment are not ones that include bullying, getting hurt, nor having a bunch of strange neighbors walk freely into the school. With that said, I hope all parents considering this school will walk by on Wednesdays around 12:20pm, and will, if they choose this school, closely monitor how their child develops and how they feel about the school. Parents, note those reviewers are coming from school staff!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 23, 2015
I am an Immac graduate. My foundation there set me on the path that led me to graduate from Fordham University with honors and to my success as a Compliance Officer at a Hedge Fund. My two daughters are currently enrolled and they are thriving. Great loving environment. Is it perfect? No it is not but no where will you find perfection. Children are not exposed to strangers, the school is not a prison. I in fact find it quite ironic that those individuals criticizing the academic quality of the school have the most grammatical errors in their posts. I am sure there are issues with bullying. The teachers can do so much. You will find issues with bullying everywhere. It is a sad and difficult aspect of growing up. Regardless, I am happy with the school. My children are safe and happy. I am an example of what the school has to offer.

Posted May 27, 2015
Times have changed...Society has changed, but most of all...PARENTS have changed. Some parents are raising their child in a bubble!! They are afraid that EVERYTHING will hurt their child. They don't cut the umbilical cord, and expect for everything to be perfect for them. They let the child make decisions at the age of 3! Besides my opinion on some of today's parents, I as one, had an amazing experience with my sons at Immaculate Conception School. The teachers were caring and warm. They helped my sons to overcome many challenges. There was no such thing as perfection, they had days that were not so great, BUT...they learned to face each day, let go, learn from things, and move on. They graduated with Honors and moved on to amazing schools and Colleges, as so MANY COUNTLESS of students from Immac have. There is no such thing as "A PERFECT SCHOOL". That only exists in movies, or in the head of a parent that doesn't realize that kids today WILL get hurt, and kids will get bullied sometime in their life, and that things will not be perfect. These are issues that will make your child stronger and with good parental support the child will overcome these challenges and will exceed in life. Keeping kids in a bubble will make them defenseless and no matter what school they attend, public or private, they will not be able to cope with today's society!! I made true friendships at Immac and my kids STILL keep in touch with theirs. The newer parents are quite impressed and happy with the school. They love that their kids are in a safe, respectful, nurturing environment. The school has cameras facing every entrance and exit. The building is spotless and kept up to date.I will continue to refer Immaculate Conception School to my family, friends and to anyone who is looking for a great school. And to the parent who watched the open door from across the street during Bingo hour, you needed to come closer to realize that there were 2 gentleman standing guard inside the double doors! Don't be quick to assume that what you see is what it seems like. Come and visit the school so you can see what it's really like and how the school takes pride in their safety AND what it stands for!!! A proud parent

Posted April 23, 2015
I walked by the school yesterday, a Wednesnday, the day when they have bingo for the senior citizens of the community in the school cafeteria. The front doors (the first door, and the middle and other door) were wide open with nobody guarding them. I stood across the street waiting to see someone come out to guard the door or ask for identification for then men and women entering the church (I counted about 100) in the 20 minutes I was there, and nobody, absolutely nobody from the school did that. Anyone can go into this school. Such a safety concern, I am in disbelief that no parents would complain about this. The church is making money and exposing the kids to strangers during school hours.

Posted September 24, 2014
My heart is broken to remove my child from this school, but I'm going to because she's more than unhappy there. She's use to be a very social and happy girl in her previous school, whoever....she lost all of her self confidence in here in 2 weeks. She has no friends whatsoever. No one want's to talk to her. Unbelievable. And makes me so sad. So I'm removing her.

Posted September 24, 2014
We have been at Immac for 5 years straight now. We have seen lots of excellent changes made in the way of security and a more challenging curriculum since we have been here. We are grateful for the weekly music, art, computer and gym classes. I find my children connected with a secure sense of themselves that I see thier school developing and fostering in them. I am grateful for this school.

Posted July 30, 2014
I agree with the previous comments. The school allows a large group of strangers during school hours, they literally leave the door open for those people to go in and out. The principal should not run this school, she is a business woman who is in charge of the school's finances basically. They won't spend a dime to ensure the school is safer, they don't even spend money on paper towels! Paper towels have to be sent in by the parents! The principal responds to the Monsignor of the church, he is the one who makes all the decisions. He also makes the decision to allow a group of strangers in the cafeteria because they pay money to hold those bingo events there. So go figure, any other school would be better. Anyone could walk into this school and take your child.

Posted July 23, 2014
This school is literally a prison. My child, at one point, locked herself in her room begging to not go back. My other child, who was in pre-k, and just got out of Kindergarten, was pulled out of this school. She is about to go into 1st grade, and can't even identify all the letters of the alphabet yet! During lunch, the younger classes are forced to sit alone, boy-girl-boy-girl, one chair apart. Once, one of the pre-schoolers was given detention for talking while the principal was talking! He was only 3 years old!! The bullying is unacceptable. One child in a grade lower than my eldest was punched in the face, and kneed in an unmentionable area. As for my eldest child, she was subject to endless verbal abuse. The lateness rules are ridiculous, and they let strangers into the school every Wednesday, during school hours! We have sent the principal many emails, none of which are replied to. Don't send your kid to IMMAC, if you love them.

Posted May 04, 2014
The first grade teacher is so young she can hardly relate to the individual needs of the children in her class. The school promotes compassion but they lack it in the everyday interaction with the students. First graders are sent to time out for talking during snack time. There is no playing during recess. Anyone who runs during recess gets sent to detention. Recess takes place in a narrow alley that has doors that lead to the church and parishioners walk through that alley during recess. There is no lock on the gate. If you are considering this school for its art program, think again, children are not allowed to paint with paints as it is "too messy" as said by the young art teacher, who has no teaching background nor studies but was hired by the school because she is the school secretary's daughter. The school doesn't tell parents that when they hold their open house! Parents have a right to know this, as they charge a tuition based on the programs and "caring environment" they claim to provide. Think again. Talk to parents, not just the ones that are involved with the school and will not say any of this because they are afraid to be singled out.
4 people found this helpful

21-63 29th Street, Queens, NY  11105
(718) 728-1969
Last modified Immaculate Conception School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Immaculate Conception School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top