9-12|Private

Bad
Good

I love this school and it left me with experiences near and dear to my heart. When I attended as a student, the teachers cared not only about the students grades but also about their spiritual life and their social lives, in general. Believe me, that makes a huge impact. My sister also went to this school and since we both felt extremely positive with our experience, one whole generation later I decided to send my daughter to GNYA too. She too was absolutely thrilled, made lifelong friends whom she is still in contact with today.

Although this was the best school I have attended throughout my entire life I considered it as very slack institution. Firstly, this is a seventh-day institution but ironically there a various occasions where their beliefs are compromised. Teacher quality here is also very mediocre, with the exception of the Physical Education teacher (great sense of humor), the Physics Teacher (he's jamaican; so he's awesome) and the English teacher. The student body here is a bit diverse but is predominantly black. Extra curricular activities are limited but with that being said, many student fail to express interest in these activities. Classes are very disorganized. What is suppose to be the library is actually used as a classroom. Parent Involvement is very limited and Teachers are often inconsiderate - distributing a lot of zero's. However, The Guidance counselor here is very helpful and knowledgeable. I\But the great thing about this school is that it effectively prepares you for college with its rigorous curriculum.

I spent all 4 of my high school years at Greater New York Academy and a better education could not be found. While some may consider the lack of extra curricular activities a focal point, lets face it, most universities are interested in how you academically. The school does have several programs in place for kids to do volunteering and there are intramurals. Have your child volunteer time at a shelter or hospital. If you put your child in this school then you already know that it is a Seventh-day Adventist institution and as such will teach according to the beliefs of the denomination. I highly recommend this school if you want your child to have a well rounded Christian education.

GNYA is the best school i ever went to. The teacher in there are fun especially Mr. Patterson

As a student of GNYA I can truly say that GNYA is a great school. Despite the lack of extra curricular activities, that is. The teachers are great, and as soon as a new principal is instated, I see this school soaring to new heights. Your most problematic year might be your senior year because as you fill out college applications, you will realize that you are lacking one of the most important things, extra curriculars.

Last modified Greater New York Academy is a Private school that serves grades 9-12