Posted June 16, 2014
I love this school and it left me with experiences near and dear to my heart. When I attended as a student, the teachers cared not only about the students grades but also about their spiritual life and their social lives, in general. Believe me, that makes a huge impact. My sister also went to this school and since we both felt extremely positive with our experience, one whole generation later I decided to send my daughter to GNYA too. She too was absolutely thrilled, made lifelong friends whom she is still in contact with today.

Greater New York Academy 2

Posted December 18, 2012
Although this was the best school I have attended throughout my entire life I considered it as very slack institution. Firstly, this is a seventh-day institution but ironically there a various occasions where their beliefs are compromised. Teacher quality here is also very mediocre, with the exception of the Physical Education teacher (great sense of humor), the Physics Teacher (he's jamaican; so he's awesome) and the English teacher. The student body here is a bit diverse but is predominantly black. Extra curricular activities are limited but with that being said, many student fail to express interest in these activities. Classes are very disorganized. What is suppose to be the library is actually used as a classroom. Parent Involvement is very limited and Teachers are often inconsiderate - distributing a lot of zero's. However, The Guidance counselor here is very helpful and knowledgeable. I\But the great thing about this school is that it effectively prepares you for college with its rigorous curriculum.

Posted February 05, 2009
I spent all 4 of my high school years at Greater New York Academy and a better education could not be found. While some may consider the lack of extra curricular activities a focal point, lets face it, most universities are interested in how you academically. The school does have several programs in place for kids to do volunteering and there are intramurals. Have your child volunteer time at a shelter or hospital. If you put your child in this school then you already know that it is a Seventh-day Adventist institution and as such will teach according to the beliefs of the denomination. I highly recommend this school if you want your child to have a well rounded Christian education.

Greater New York Academy 0

Posted February 12, 2008
GNYA is the best school i ever went to. The teacher in there are fun especially Mr. Patterson

Posted August 03, 2007
As a student of GNYA I can truly say that GNYA is a great school. Despite the lack of extra curricular activities, that is. The teachers are great, and as soon as a new principal is instated, I see this school soaring to new heights. Your most problematic year might be your senior year because as you fill out college applications, you will realize that you are lacking one of the most important things, extra curriculars.

Posted March 27, 2006

Posted February 26, 2005

Posted February 26, 2005
My child spent her years at GNYA. I have seen over the years the change academically ever moving upward. Exposure to higher educational instituion of learnind and involvement in their communities. Fun raising activites and basketball. Christ the central theme and a staff who is available. Guidance counsellor is wonderful. Family oriented. Great job Ms Mitchell.

Posted August 26, 2003
- a former student
this school is wonderful if you're considering having your child reared in a school that exercises the mind. Be mindful that your child can be and evidently may be influenced under seventh day adventist principles. The school is affiliated with the seventh day adventist church and so follows the principles of the church. IF i were you i would consider spending money on my child and make sure that your child had enough extra curricular varieties to occupy him/her throughout the school year. this school is limited in terms to extra curricular activities that involve sports but strong with christian discipleship and education.

Greater New York Academy
41-32 58th Street, Queens, NY  11377
Last modified Greater New York Academy is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Greater New York Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top